Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I'm still of the opinion that we need to do everything we can to ensure he's not selected in the expansion draft.

If the Seattle scouts are worth a damn with a Greenway, Soucy, Menell exposed they take Menell without much though.
Yeah I think Seattle takes the NHL players. Menell is good but he has only played a handful of NHL games. Seattle would be dumb to pass on a player like Greenway if exposed.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
Yeah I think Seattle takes the NHL players. Menell is good but he has only played a handful of NHL games. Seattle would be dumb to pass on a player like Greenway if exposed.

I see your point. But if they scout the KHL at all Menell is having a hell of a year in the world's second best league.

I also for some reason invision Greenway coming into his own finally this next year and the Wild being forced to find a way to keep him as well.

All the years I've watched Greenway it seems like every time he moves up a league it takes him a while to find his footing, then he figures it out.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I should replace Hunt in the lineup?
aQcgILJ.gif

Reactions: Olcoach

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought Hunt was a bit of a mini revelation when he first came to the team and took over Dumba's duties as the point man on the PP. For a little guy, he has a hell of a shot, and an aggressive mindset. He is good at handling the puck both in the O zone and neutral zone, but is a liability without the puck, and his lack of size, reach and physicality in the D zone is a problem, as is his handedness. At this point, a healthy Dumba should make him redundant on the PP, as i see Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba, Fiala, and even Brodin being fine on the point, with Addison and Menell eventually showing up too.

In other words, Hunt filled a role for a while, and at a bargain price, but I'm not sure that he still deserves a spot on the team. If Pateryn could stay on the ice I'm sure he would've spent more time on the bench.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I thought Hunt was a bit of a mini revelation when he first came to the team and took over Dumba's duties as the point man on the PP. For a little guy, he has a hell of a shot, and an aggressive mindset. He is good at handling the puck both in the O zone and neutral zone, but is a liability without the puck, and his lack of size, reach and physicality in the D zone is a problem, as is his handedness. At this point, a healthy Dumba should make him redundant on the PP, as i see Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba, Fiala, and even Brodin being fine on the point, with Addison and Menell eventually showing up too.

In other words, Hunt filled a role for a while, and at a bargain price, but I'm not sure that he still deserves a spot on the team. If Pateryn could stay on the ice I'm sure he would've spent more time on the bench.
Agreed completely, Hunt is still a very solid depth piece for a lot of teams in the league and fills a valuable role, but it just happens that this team is already quite stacked with defenseman that can contribute nearly the same offensively with much better defense. I think he can continue to have a positive impact on the league but I think we have better options available due to our positional strength at D.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Canada is so loaded. Beckman is the only one who has a chance to make the team, and even he isn't a sure thing. Surprised Jones wasn't given an invite.

Byram - Drysdale
Guhle - Schneider
Harley - Korczak
Power - Barron

Perfetti - Byfield - Holloway
Mercer - Cozens - Jarvis
Tomasino - Suzuki - Newhook
Beckman - Krebs - Quinn
McMichael - Zary - Wright
Poulin - Lapierre - Rees

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
Canada is so loaded. Beckman is the only one who has a chance to make the team, and even he isn't a sure thing. Surprised Jones wasn't given an invite.

Byram - Drysdale
Guhle - Schneider
Harley - Korczak
Power - Barron

Mercer - Cozens - Jarvis
Beckman - Krebs - Quinn
Poulin - Lapierre - Rees

I still wish we could have swapped Dumba for number 10 and got Perfection along with Rossi.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would've gone for Lundell, myself. More of a sure thing C. Maybe even Askarov. Wouldn't be depressed by Perfetti or anything.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Byram - Drysdale
Guhle - Schneider
Harley - Korczak
Power - Barron

Mercer - Cozens - Jarvis
Beckman - Krebs - Quinn
Poulin - Lapierre - Rees

Jones is too old

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Byram - Drysdale
Guhle - Schneider
Harley - Korczak
Power - Barron

Mercer - Cozens - Jarvis
Beckman - Krebs - Quinn
Poulin - Lapierre - Rees

You are missing Kirby Dach

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Expansion draft is not remotely worrisome. Protect 8.

Worse case Wild lose Greenway or Soucy and gain at least $2.1m in cap.

Very manageable.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
If Seattle takes Mennell, then the Wild dance with joy.

I dunno the KHL season is still young an Menell is dominating that league. At some point you have to get over draft positioning (in this case no draft positioning) and look at the prospects performance.

If he continues at his current pace in the KHL scouts will take notice.

Maybe I'll eat crow on this but I think Menell has a long above average career in the NHL ahead of him.

He's a solid defender that drives the offense, he can score, he's not undersized, and he has the balls to put himself out there against the best talent he could find at the time when all he had to do was wait for an NHL roster spot to open up.

If we traded Dumba and he wasn't in the KHL he would be on the Wild's opening day roster and I can say that very confidently.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
Nothing against Carson Soucy but if it's

Greenway
Menell
Soucy

I'm trying to figure out how I can protect Menell and Greenway. Especially considering the Wild sound dead set on shipping out Dumba.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Nothing against Carson Soucy but if it's

Greenway
Menell
Soucy

I'm trying to figure out how I can protect Menell and Greenway. Especially considering the Wild sound dead set on shipping out Dumba.
I don't think Dumba is moved till after the E.D. at this point. The only way is if a contending team has a bad injury to one of their RD and blow the socks off GMBG feet with an offer for Dumba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad