Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I wonder how full your average AHL game is anyway.

Attendance varies between 9000 (Cleveland Monster and Hershey Bears) to 3000 . Most teams see 5000-8000 a game.

But tickets are cheap, and i'm sure are lots of giveaways.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Attendance varies between 9000 (Cleveland Monster and Hershey Bears) to 3000 . Most teams see 5000-8000 a game.

I looked at stadium capacity too, Cleveland Monsters capacity is 20k (that could be for NBA though, I'm not sure, maybe slightly less for AHL). Iowa Wild capacity is 16k (again, mileage for AHL may vary as it's a multipurpose arena)

So they're already operating at 50% max for the AHL.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Looking at the Cleveland Monsters example, they play at Quicken Loans Arena which has a capacity of about 20,000. Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines is more like 16,000. So in either case it looks like AHL teams aren't seeing much more than 50% capacity?

If that's the case I wonder if they can just space people out, enforce the seating, and still sell close to the same number of tickets. I get that people probably aren't going to want to bother with the back row of the upper deck for an AHL game, but still.

Edit: holy smokes, @AKL read my mind

Reactions: AKL

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's not just the seating, but entering and exiting the rink would have to be managed.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It's not just the seating, but entering and exiting the rink would have to be managed.
And lines at concessions, the bathrooms, etc. Still, if we're talking about arenas built for twice the capacity it seems like there would be ways to handle all that. Difficult, but worthwhile if you can keep playing games.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And lines at concessions, the bathrooms, etc. Still, if we're talking about arenas built for twice the capacity it seems like there would be ways to handle all that. Difficult, but worthwhile if you can keep playing games.

Just thinking about the Coyotes games this season when they averaged over 14k in a stadium built for 18k, managing 6k in a stadium built for 16k would be downright spacious.

Reactions: Bazeek

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I saw that too but it doesn't look like he's actually playing there. They had a game yesterday and he didn't appear on the roster. Not sure what the deal is.

On the website, it shows that Khovanov on the team. Could be he didn't play, because he just joined the team.

Not a good look for the Wild.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Fair enough; but I was thinking the Wild was hoping for more from Khovanov.
I think we'd all hope that he tears the KHL apart, but it's not an easy league to jump into. It's entirely possible that the transition from the CHL to a pro league has been a rude awakening for him, but we'll see how it goes from here. Better to get that out of the way now than later.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think we'd all hope that he tears the KHL apart, but it's not an easy league to jump into. It's entirely possible that the transition from the CHL to a pro league has been a rude awakening for him, but we'll see how it goes from here. Better to get that out of the way now than later.

Just worried that it's like going from the AHL to the ECHL.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not really a concern. 20 year old that's never played against men. People who thought he could challenge for an NHL spot this year were always going to be disappointed.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's promising that he's getting more opportunities. Pretty good sign he'll be a full time KHL player by end of year.

But it's still prudent to remember that Ak Bars isn't trying to develop him, they're trying to win games. So even if he doesn't make it to the top 6 in the KHL, it doesn't mean he's a bust for us. When he comes back next year, that'd when we'll see what he can do when being "properly" developed.

Beastieboi

Oct 29, 2019
Is the NHL season going to finish at a later date? Would be good for his development to do the full KHL season and then come into the NHL for the last few months, even just to skate with the team and maybe 4th line minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad