Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Is the NHL season going to finish at a later date? Would be good for his development to do the full KHL season and then come into the NHL for the last few months, even just to skate with the team and maybe 4th line minutes

He's doing the full KHL season regardless of the timing of the NHL season.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I don't think he's saying he'd like him to get out of the KHL early, I think he's saying that if the KHL's season, all 100% of it, is done before the NHL season is, could he come back for the rest of the NHL season?

I know this year (2020) the KHL contracts ended on (or maybe just after?) April 30th. I'm not sure if that date is still true for this new KHL season. A player could also get released early by his team, if they're already eliminated from the playoffs before then. I don't know how late the NHL is going to go next season, but I really hope they try to get it back on schedule, which would cause Khovanov to probably not be able to play many, or maybe any, games for the Wild.

Reactions: Beastieboi

Beastieboi

Oct 29, 2019
I know he'll do the full KHL season which latest finish time is 30th of April?

If the NHL season starts in late December / early January, then it might finish later than usual, which could be be good for the wild to try khovanov out for a few months near the end of the regular season.

Same with Mennell

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, while it's hard to predict, I would guess that 20-21 will run later than normal, making it more likely that KHL players who are on one year deals could come back and play for an NHL club in the spring, unless the NHL makes up another rule change on the fly.

Beastieboi

Oct 29, 2019
Yea if they did it would make things hard for maybe Mennell considering he's unsigned, Khovanov however is signed, Lodnia as well. I'd imagine it would be hard to tell the wild they can't use a forward who's getting paid.

Fingers crossed they perform well enough for the wild to even have that as a problem.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Bombadir on Boldy:
“Now, I know last year they put him at center, and they can put him at center as much as they want there. I think it’s great. I think it’s a great growth opportunity for those players, and they learn the game from a different viewpoint, too, whenever they do play center. We’re perfectly comfortable with him playing center and wing there, but ultimately we view him as a winger.”

How four key Wild prospects are dealing with the offseason in a challenging year

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
His comments on Jones maybe give me a little more hope that they won't touch Askarov though.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We could be the first fan base to call for the director of player development’s head

As much as you joke, Bombardir has been pretty bad at player development and if Guerin was serious about clearing out the ol' Country Club and culture, Bombs should be up on that list.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
As much as you joke, Bombardir has been pretty bad at player development and if Guerin was serious about clearing out the ol' Country Club and culture, Bombs should be up on that list.
What exactly does Brad Bombadir do?

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
He basically watches all of the drafted players for Wild.

Goes around to see all the players ... NCAA, Jr's and he'll go to Iowa 1 or 2x a month

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He basically watches all of the drafted players for Wild.

Goes around to see all the players ... NCAA, Jr's and he'll go to Iowa 1 or 2x a month

That doesn't seem like all he does; he has input in their development (hence the player development). Unless the Wild is much more different than any other organization in the league, the director of player development help assist in developing prospects (both on and off the ice), assist in evaluating the team prospects, and possibly other duties (such as the Rangers use Drury to be a liaison between the hockey operations department and the prospects). I think Bombardir has a lot more to do than just watches all of the drafted players for the Wild and that's it.

He's been with the organization since 2010-2011 and the Wild have seen three forwards taken out of the 1st round actually play in the NHL and stick for more than a season; Zucker, Haula, Greenway. Possibly Larsson. He's going to have very little input with Kaprizov.

It's time to get a better director of player development - one that isn't tied to the organization from way back when.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
That doesn't seem like all he does; he has input in their development (hence the player development). Unless the Wild is much more different than any other organization in the league, the director of player development help assist in developing prospects (both on and off the ice), assist in evaluating the team prospects, and possibly other duties (such as the Rangers use Drury to be a liaison between the hockey operations department and the prospects). I think Bombardir has a lot more to do than just watches all of the drafted players for the Wild and that's it.

He's been with the organization since 2010-2011 and the Wild have seen three forwards taken out of the 1st round actually play in the NHL and stick for more than a season; Zucker, Haula, Greenway. Possibly Larsson. He's going to have very little input with Kaprizov.

It's time to get a better director of player development - one that isn't tied to the organization from way back when.
I should have stated it differently. Player development is probably the wrong title for his job. He may do a some of the things you mentioned but a lot of his time is spent in the context I stated......watching over the drafted players and working with the staff in Iowa. Probably spends a lot of time watching tapes of games

He absolutely has very little if any say in any player development of a player on a NCAA roster accept for rookie camp, maybe some off ice / mental tips, and an occasional conversation with a prospect either by phone or in person while visiting the player during season. Nor do I think he or any other person from any NHL org would disrespect a NCAA coach by telling the prospect something different than the coach is saying. I'm sure that Bombardir does some scouting also while watching Wild prospects play ( looking for undrafted free agents )

You brought up Greenway, Quinn would have tossed any PD guy out of the rink if they were going against what he was saying....LOL

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I should have stated it differently. Player development is probably the wrong title for his job. He may do a some of the things you mentioned but a lot of his time is spent in the context I stated......watching over the drafted players and working with the staff in Iowa. Probably spends a lot of time watching tapes of games

So, the Wild don't have an actual Director of Player Development like other teams have? Because if that's the case, that goes a long way in explaining why Minnesota has had such miserable development of their prospects.

He absolutely has very little if any say in any player development of a player on a NCAA roster accept for rookie camp, maybe some off ice / mental tips, and an occasional conversation with a prospect either by phone or in person while visiting the player during season. Nor do I think he or any other person from any NHL org would disrespect a NCAA coach by telling the prospect something different than the coach is saying. I'm sure that Bombardir does some scouting also while watching Wild prospects play ( looking for undrafted free agents )

While that is the case, I think making a definitive statement like saying they see Boldy as a winger isn't the smartest thing to do - especially when Boldy hasn't even hit the AHL. Boston can develop Boldy as they see fit, that's fine. If Boston sees Boldy as a winger, great. Get him to the AHL and see what happens from there. Bombardir has no say in what the NCAA does, but probably has a lot to say when they hit the AHL.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
On the Zoom call today. Someone asked if Boldy could be a Center for the Wild?

Sounds like Guerin and the Wild view Boldy as a winger.

Definitive, or we'll see type of answer?

"What we see is Boldy being a winger, but we'll have to evaluate him more when he comes to camp/we send him to Iowa?"

Or

"We see Boldy as a winger,"

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Definitive, or we'll see type of answer?

"What we see is Boldy being a winger, but we'll have to evaluate him more when he comes to camp/we send him to Iowa?"

Or

"We see Boldy as a winger,"
I don't remember the quote off the top of my head.

it was along the lines of Bombardir thinks Boldy is a winger, do you think the Wild see him as that or could he play center for us like he is at BC.

Guerin was like yeah i think Bombs is right on that and we see him as a winger with the Wild. However, throughout the zoom Guerin talked about how he liked players that can play different roles so i bet they wouldn't mind him being able to play center. I just took it as they will play and try him at winger when he gets to the pros first though.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't remember the quote off the top of my head.

it was along the lines of Bombardir thinks Boldy is a winger, do you think the Wild see him as that or could he play center for us like he is at BC.

Guerin was like yeah i think Bombs is right on that and we see him as a winger with the Wild. However, throughout the zoom Guerin talked about how he liked players that can play different roles so i bet they wouldn't mind him being able to play center. I just took it as they will play and try him at winger when he gets to the pros first though.

Sounds promising, thanks for the feedback on this.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
If this team is never going to commit to drafting OR developing a center, I guess we could start playing 3 defensemen and drop centers all together...

This lack of courage to go through pains of developing a center is the reason the Wild are mediocre.

Reactions: Spurgeon

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
If this team is never going to commit to drafting OR developing a center, I guess we could start playing 3 defensemen and drop centers all together...

This lack of courage to go through pains of developing a center is the reason the Wild are mediocre.

You know, I actually got thinking about this a couple of days ago, too. Is there an actual rule that says you need 3 forwards and 2 defensemen at the faceoff dot in 5v5 play? If there isn't, the Wild could re-write the strategy book and just play to their strengths (defensemen). They won't win a lot of face-offs, but they probably won't win a lot of those anyway, with LWs playing C. If we can't draft, develop, sign or trade for a center, let's just eliminate the position outright! Problem solved.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Okay, Mike Eaves... Chill out with this 1-1-3 talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad