OT: General OT Thread #44 - The World is Still Turning

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Hoping that Dune part 3 ("Dune Messiah") will be made and released in the next couple of years. Denis Villeneuve said that he has started on the screenplay.
Also, interesting what he does with the VERY significant changes he's made thus far. Will have a bigger effect moving forward.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Hoping that Dune part 3 ("Dune Messiah") will be made and released in the next couple of years. Denis Villeneuve said that he has started on the screenplay.
Would be crazy if it isn't made based on part 2 $ so far. Going to see it this weekend, can't wait.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Shogun continues to be very solid. Crazy that it is basically a true story.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Are there still a lot of subtitles beyond episode 1? I tried watching it, but wasn't in the mood for subtitles. Just want to know what to expect going forward so I'm in the right mindset.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Shogun is solid. Not sure if I'm a fan of the actor playing John Blackthorne, though. I'm thinking it could've been even better if they casted someone else to play that role.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Are there still a lot of subtitles beyond episode 1? I tried watching it, but wasn't in the mood for subtitles. Just want to know what to expect going forward so I'm in the right mindset.
Yes. All Japanese is in subtitles.... and there is a lot of Japanese being spoken. That said, I think there is an English dub option with Hulu.... I could be wrong

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Reminds me of When I saw Everything Everywhere All at Once in the theater...
Didn't expect the first 20-30 mins to be almost completely subtitled... Love the film, but need to be in the right mood for the subtitles for sure.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Yes. All Japanese is in subtitles.... and there is a lot of Japanese being spoken. That said, I think there is an English dub option with Hulu.... I could be wrong

Not sure which is more distracting, sub-titles or overdubs. Sub-titles do have a tendency to draw your eyes away from the action in order to read, but I can get just as distracted by knowing the voice I'm hearing is not coming from the actor I'm watching.

I'm sticking with the sub titles.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Shogun is solid. Not sure if I'm a fan of the actor playing John Blackthorne, though. I'm thinking it could've been even better if they casted someone else to play that role.
I wasn't sure after this 1st episode, but now i am liking the guy. In the books, a great deal was made of the fact that he was very different than the Japanese, more of a rough diamond who got polished the more time he spent in that culture.

In the original series, Richard Chamberlain was too smooth for me.

Subtitles were a non issue to me, who has sat through many a Kung Fu film with terrible dubbing, and/or hilariously bad subtitles. Everything about this show smacks of quality so far. Interesting that most of the show was shot in British Columbia, some of it on the West Coast of Vancouver island, which has a very wild and rocky shoreline.

Last edited:

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
That was my initial reaction to the casting as well. I think Andrew Lincoln would have been awesome in that role. That said, the current actor is growing on me thru the 3rd episode now.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Kind of funny that in the midst of all the trade deadline stuff, Russo randomly retweeted an article about flight MH370 at 6am?

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Kind of funny that in the midst of all the trade deadline stuff, Russo randomly retweeted an article about flight MH370 at 6am?

I'm confused. Where does Russo fit into this? I see it tweeted by the AP.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I wish I had someone to go to the movies with. Hell I think the last time I went to the movies it was for one of the Harry Potter films. That would’ve been long long ago before I learned certain things about JK… And most importantly, the things I figured out about myself in the last few years.

Yeah, I’d go to more movies but I don’t feel like going to a movie by myself. I mean I’ve missed a lot of big ones in the last year. Barbie, Oppenheimer, Dune 2…. Yeah I need a movie buddy in the Fargo area.

Then again, I hate doing anything in North Dakota. So if I really want to see a movie, I’d probably drive to Detroit Lakes or Fergus Falls instead.

• Wow
Reactions: TaLoN

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I wish I had someone to go to the movies with. Hell I think the last time I went to the movies it was for one of the Harry Potter films. That would’ve been long long ago before I learned certain things about JK… And most importantly, the things I figured out about myself in the last few years.

Yeah, I’d go to more movies but I don’t feel like going to a movie by myself. I mean I’ve missed a lot of big ones in the last year. Barbie, Oppenheimer, Dune 2…. Yeah I need a movie buddy in the Fargo area.

Then again, I hate doing anything in North Dakota. So if I really want to see a movie, I’d probably drive to Detroit Lakes or Fergus Falls instead.

I love going to movies by myself. Nice escape for a few hours.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I love to going to movies by myself. Nice escape for a few hours.
Yeah, I would. But I just don’t feel comfortable sitting in a public place like that all by myself. I just never have.

Thing is I have a 58 inch TV and a comfy couch in the living room. I also subscribed to numerous streaming services. I also like to snuggle with my doggies. So if I want to watch a movie it’s couch potato time.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Yeah, I would. But I just don’t feel comfortable sitting in a public place like that all by myself. I just never have.

Thing is I have a 58 inch TV and a comfy couch in the living room. I also subscribed to numerous streaming services. I also like to snuggle with my doggies. So if I want to watch a movie it’s couch potato time.

Trust me, you want to see Dune 2 on the big screen, it's epic.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

You can't replicate the big screen experience at home

Reactions: MuckOG

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln