OT: General OT Thread #44 - The World is Still Turning

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Vietnam right now. We were Soldiers is a great suggestion, thanks.

Was doing the Civil War last week, binged North and South and watched Gettysburgh and a series called The blue and the Grey with Stacey Keach.

I have seen all of those movies you mentioned, probably going to watch them again soon at some point.
Did The Longest Day and A Bridge too far last month, looking to watch The big red one with Lee Marvin soon. I remember I really liked that one.

Thanks, put it on my list. Any more suggestions on Vietnam movies?
Started watching Missing in Action, but fell asleep halfway through. Seen it before when it came out.
Flight of the intruder, Rescue dawn, Good morning Vietnam,

Reactions: Sweetnut

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Watched Batman Returns and Conan the Barbarian (1982) this weekend. Goddamn Conan was terrible. Batman holds up.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I think batman returns is terrible and Conan is a classic.
Everyone’s entitled to an opinion, but you might be in the minority on that one.

What’s your favorite Conan scene? I liked the part where Schwarzenegger punches a camel.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
My Vietnam favorites so far:

1. Hamburger Hill
2. Full Metal Jacket
3. Platoon
4. Apocalypse Now
5. Deer Hunter

From memory, I think Casualties of War should be right after Platoon. I'm probably going to watch that one next week. Also going to watch We Were Soldiers soon.

I did watch The big red one (extended edition) with Lee Marvin and a young Mark Hamill yesterday, it is a great WW2 movie based on a real experience by the director Samuel Fuller who was a WW2 veteran and served with the 1st infantry division. Recommended if you like old movies with character.

This track was one of the most played by the troops in Vietnam. The bass player Chas Chandler, 6 ft 4 in, is credited as the one who discovered Jimi Hendrix and also became his manager. It was Chandler's idea for Hendrix to set his guitar on fire. Hendrix's sound engineer Eddie Kramer later recalled that Chandler was very hands-on with the first two Hendrix albums, adding that "he was his mentor and I think it was very necessary."

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
My Vietnam favorites so far:

1. Hamburger Hill
2. Full Metal Jacket
3. Platoon
4. Apocalypse Now
5. Deer Hunter

From memory, I think Casualties of War should be right after Platoon. I'm probably going to watch that one next week. Also going to watch We Were Soldiers soon.

I did watch The big red one (extended edition) with Lee Marvin and a young Mark Hamill yesterday, it is a great WW2 movie based on a real experience by the director Samuel Fuller who was a WW2 veteran and served with the 1st infantry division. Recommended if you like old movies with character.

This track was one of the most played by the troops in Vietnam. The bass player Chas Chandler, 6 ft 4 in, is credited as the one who discovered Jimi Hendrix and also became his manager. It was Chandler's idea for Hendrix to set his guitar on fire. Hendrix's sound engineer Eddie Kramer later recalled that Chandler was very hands-on with the first two Hendrix albums, adding that "he was his mentor and I think it was very necessary."

Well, yes and no on Chandler's impact on Hendrix. Chandler helped Jimi with some of the ins and outs of the recording industry, especially in the UK, but musically and Showmanship wise he was taught far more by the Isley Brothers, Little Richard, Curtis Knight, and all the people they exposed him to like Chuck Berry, James Brown, and all of the great Bluesmen like Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, and the like. Chandler seemed like a good guy who had Jimi's best interests at heart(unlike many), but he didn't hold a candle to those people in terms of talent.

Bottom line is that Hendrix was a genius, and would've been discovered w/o Chandler.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Well, yes and no on Chandler's impact on Hendrix. Chandler helped Jimi with some of the ins and outs of the recording industry, especially in the UK, but musically and Showmanship wise he was taught far more by the Isley Brothers, Little Richard, Curtis Knight, and all the people they exposed him to like Chuck Berry, James Brown, and all of the great Bluesmen like Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, and the like. Chandler seemed like a good guy who had Jimi's best interests at heart(unlike many), but he didn't hold a candle to those people in terms of talent.

Bottom line is that Hendrix was a genius, and would've been discovered w/o Chandler.
I think this sounds 100% true.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think this sounds 100% true.
I haven't watched many WWI movies. So grim ... the pre antibiotic trench warfare was ugly.

A couple of great books about those wars, are Robert Graves "And Goodbye to All That", and Lawrence's "Seven Pillars of Wisdom". I always think of my grandfather when i think of WWI and those books. he served in the trenches starting 1914, invalided out, volunteered for the RAF, and eventually ended up in the desert war flying in support of that(he is briefly mentioned in the latter book).

He got out alive, after being gassed, shot down, wounded, then was in almost the entire of WWII. Greatest Generation, indeed.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The buzz-phrase of the day is "Zone of Totality" (as it pertains to solar eclipses)

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Well the kid has me down 2 vehicles in the span of a week.

1. She got a flat and just decided to drive it home. Shredded the tire completely off, flattened the rim, and damaged the fender/wheel well guards.
2. She hit a deer. Broken plastic front end, pushed in the fender, and the hood is pushed back. Not sure of the state of the radiator, if the bumper frame was damaged, and if the steering components are damaged.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Another great episode of Shogun last night. I still don't like the actor who plays John Blackthorne, though. I thought he might grow on me, but it's not happening.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Well the kid has me down 2 vehicles in the span of a week.

1. She got a flat and just decided to drive it home. Shredded the tire completely off, flattened the rim, and damaged the fender/wheel well guards.
2. She hit a deer. Broken plastic front end, pushed in the fender, and the hood is pushed back. Not sure of the state of the radiator, if the bumper frame was damaged, and if the steering components are damaged.

Welcome to the club. My older son went through 3 vehicles between 16-18. My younger son went through 2 vehicles between 16-18. Nothing to do with the quality of cars we bought them, and everything to do with how they drove them.

Reactions: Wabit

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Another great episode of Shogun last night. I still don't like the actor who plays John Blackthorne, though. I thought he might grow on me, but it's not happening.
Great show. I'm actually fine with the Blackthorne character. He provides such a contrast to the Japanese.

As good as it is, the 3 Body Problem is the series that is catching my attention right now.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Great show. I'm actually fine with the Blackthorne character. He provides such a contrast to the Japanese.

As good as it is, the 3 Body Problem is the series that is catching my attention right now.

Couldn't they find an actor who can actually act to contrast the Japanese? Someone else mentioned it already, but an actor like Andrew Lincoln would've done a far better job than Cosmo Jarvis. This version of Shogun is much better than the original mini-series, but Richard Chamberlain played Blackthorne much better than Jarvis did.

I've heard good things about the 3 Body Problem. Will need to check that out.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Couldn't they find an actor who can actually act to contrast the Japanese? Someone else mentioned it already, but an actor like Andrew Lincoln would've done a far better job than Cosmo Jarvis. This version of Shogun is much better than the original mini-series, but Richard Chamberlain played Blackthorne much better than Jarvis did.

I've heard good things about the 3 Body Problem. Will need to check that out.
Disagree about Chamberlain. Everytime i saw him i thought of Dr. Kildare. Far too smooth. More like an actor/lounge singer than a seadog.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I haven't watched many WWI movies. So grim ... the pre antibiotic trench warfare was ugly.

A couple of great books about those wars, are Robert Graves "And Goodbye to All That", and Lawrence's "Seven Pillars of Wisdom". I always think of my grandfather when i think of WWI and those books. he served in the trenches starting 1914, invalided out, volunteered for the RAF, and eventually ended up in the desert war flying in support of that(he is briefly mentioned in the latter book).

He got out alive, after being gassed, shot down, wounded, then was in almost the entire of WWII. Greatest Generation, indeed.
If looking for good WW1 movies, highly recommend Netflix's All Quiet on the Western Front. It's brutal...but excellent.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

Wait until the ship scene!

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
SHL semifinals. Dude thought whistle was blown, so he went out for a stroll. Then - panic.
:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad