OT: General OT Thread #44 - The World is Still Turning

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Cat seems to be doing better. She doesnt seem to be a fan of the new diet but considering it is the only food she gets now, she is making do. I have not found any more red spots so heres hoping the special diet is resolving the stone.

Anyway. What do you all think of my new, less angry demeanor?

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Cat seems to be doing better. She doesnt seem to be a fan of the new diet but considering it is the only food she gets now, she is making do. I have not found any more red spots so heres hoping the special diet is resolving the stone.

Feels weird, man.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae

There's a disturbance in the force. On the other hand, I'm just glad you found yourself. It can be one hell of a journey - in a lot of meanings.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Holy moly getting new homeowners insurance is a PITA. The place I'm currently with is dropping me at the end of Feb. They got bought out by a different company, or something. I've been good, no late payments or claims in the 4 or 5 years I've been with them.

We've spent the last 2 days calling around and searching online. Most places won't cover me because I own my house (no mortgage). The few places that will end up quoting me an extra $60-$100 a month (over the initial internet quote) because I don't have a mortgage. It has something to do with how the payments are made, as was explained to us.

One place disqualified us because we have a trampoline. In the 35 years this house has been in the family we've never had a trampoline. I even called my sister to see if there was one when I was living out of state for a decade.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Holy moly getting new homeowners insurance is a PITA. The place I'm currently with is dropping me at the end of Feb. They got bought out by a different company, or something. I've been good, no late payments or claims in the 4 or 5 years I've been with them.

We've spent the last 2 days calling around and searching online. Most places won't cover me because I own my house (no mortgage). The few places that will end up quoting me an extra $60-$100 a month (over the initial internet quote) because I don't have a mortgage. It has something to do with how the payments are made, as was explained to us.

One place disqualified us because we have a trampoline. In the 35 years this house has been in the family we've never had a trampoline. I even called my sister to see if there was one when I was living out of state for a decade.
I'm in the mortgage biz, homeowners insurance is a nightmare right now. Be glad you're not in Florida, many insurance carriers have just plain exited that state. Have you tried USAA? They've always been decent

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

That's weird as hell. One of those things that makes you shake your head, and mumble. I don't see how being financially solvent can possibly be a bad thing, but hey, I've run into weirder stuff.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm in the mortgage biz, homeowners insurance is a nightmare right now. Be glad you're not in Florida, many insurance carriers have just plain exited that state. Have you tried USAA? They've always been decent

They were on the higher end here. I understand it though, they don't have a large footprint in WI. We've looked at a couple of houses in FL, and the insurance was insane ($10k-$15k a year for a small house).

That's weird as hell. One of those things that makes you shake your head, and mumble. I don't see how being financially solvent can possibly be a bad thing, but hey, I've run into weirder stuff.

I know. Be responsible and get punished for it.

Some cell phone companies are doing something similar. If you're not paying for a phone your rates go up.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Welcome to late stage capitalism!

Reminds me of when BMW tried to, or did, make heated seats a subscription.

Last edited:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
There's a disturbance in the force. On the other hand, I'm just glad you found yourself. It can be one hell of a journey - in a lot of meanings.
My lifes journey would be a lot different had it not taken me 40 3/4 years to figure it out. I can say that much.

And I can empathize on the insurance bit. It's getting Ridiculous. But its not just that: effing everything is more expensive.

And dont get me started on the annual ritual of deductibles and co-pays. My wallet wept after picking up my meds at CVS last week.

Reactions: Puhis and TaLoN

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
My lifes journey would be a lot different had it not taken me 40 3/4 years to figure it out. I can say that much.

I think I'm yet to figure myself out too, at 31, so I guess that gives me... hope? Dread?

Also, I'm yet to read Homestuck. Sorry. Didn't manage to quite get into it.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I think I'm yet to figure myself out too, at 31, so I guess that gives me... hope? Dread?

Well heres a question for you: where do you see yourself in a few years? Now if you can even come up with an honest, genuine answer, you're ahead of where I was. I literally could not answer that question whenever it came up in my life because the real answer was that I didn't. I'd have to make shit up and lie.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

And I can empathize on the insurance bit. It's getting Ridiculous. But its not just that: effing everything is more expensive.

And dont get me started on the annual ritual of deductibles and co-pays. My wallet wept after picking up my meds at CVS last week.

We're going to Sam's Club now for the wife's meds. CVS and Walgreens are just miserable experiences in my town. Sam's is much better since I get a hotdog or pizza snack and we bring home lunch (rotisserie) chicken. The med prices don't really change much.

It took 3 days but we finally found a decent insurance rate.

Life gets more boring when you figure things out. So don't rush it.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
We're going to Sam's Club now for the wife's meds. CVS and Walgreens are just miserable experiences in my town. Sam's is much better since I get a hotdog or pizza snack and we bring home lunch (rotisserie) chicken. The med prices don't really change much.

It took 3 days but we finally found a decent insurance rate.

Life gets more boring when you figure things out. So don't rush it.
Its less the price of meds and more the copay and deductible resetting to 0 that nukes my wallet every year. Im getting better ay having a cushion ready to absorb the hit.

Thing is im on some expensive shit, so if anything I'm surprised its not worse.

Reactions: Wabit

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Any of you guys collectors of any kind? I've jumped around throughout the last 20sh years with cards, comics, and some busts (Star Wars/Marvel/DBZ). Looking to take up more on collecting hockey cards, specifically Wild. Any advice/recommendations/etc.?

For you old timers here, I would do anything to go back to the 90s and visit Shinders, haha.

Reactions: Minnesota

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Any of you guys collectors of any kind? I've jumped around throughout the last 20sh years with cards, comics, and some busts (Star Wars/Marvel/DBZ). Looking to take up more on collecting hockey cards, specifically Wild. Any advice/recommendations/etc.?

For you old timers here, I would do anything to go back to the 90s and visit Shinders, haha.

Do junk cars count? :banghead: If so I usually have 2 or 3 nn-running ones at any point and time. No they aren't collectors cars.

• Haha
Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Well heres a question for you: where do you see yourself in a few years? Now if you can even come up with an honest, genuine answer, you're ahead of where I was. I literally could not answer that question whenever it came up in my life because the real answer was that I didn't. I'd have to make shit up and lie.

Uuuuh

Never really thought of it that much. Always tried to avoid the question, if anything, and... Yeah, make up some bs.

I hope I can thrive in my current job while also continuing to receive opportunities on the side, like now. On that note: I'm gonna be commentating the Finnish Karting championship next year y'all! Did one race for them last season, they liked me, didn't think too much of it as I've gotten plenty of the "You're great!" talks followed by square root of f*** all - but seems like I truly did well.

As for my day job? Heh, that's a story in and as itself, one for another day though.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Anyone get the new Wild license plate, or any of the other new ones? I've got the Wild one since my tabs renewed in January anyway.

I also love the black one, I've seen a lot of cars with that so far. I would have considered it, but it didn't go as well with my navy blue car.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I've got the loon ones right now with a plate number that I absolutely adore. I've had it for years so I'm scared it's coming up on replacement in August when my tags renew. At that point I might look at the Wild plate.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I got the golf one...would have probably gone Wild if they were out when I got mine, but mine were replaced last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad