OT: General OT Thread #44 - The World is Still Turning

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
F2-C97947-6-D75-4-ACD-8675-D7363-C0-BC758.jpg

Nice night out last night.

Reactions: TaLoN

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
On another note, auto industry seems just looney tunes right now. No cars on lots, prices for used vehicles are crazy.

I’m waiting on a new vehicle that I ordered and production on all gets pushed back pretty consistently. No real idea when I will have it, at this point wouldn’t mind waiting through the bulk of winter.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
On another note, auto industry seems just looney tunes right now. No cars on lots, prices for used vehicles are crazy.

I’m waiting on a new vehicle that I ordered and production on all gets pushed back pretty consistently. No real idea when I will have it, at this point wouldn’t mind waiting through the bulk of winter.
They can't get the chips needed for many of the options sold on cars these days. The chip shortage is likely to last another 2-3yrs at least, as building up production capacity is no small endeavor in the semiconductor industry.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
lol. It’sa direct result of corporate greed. Let’s go lean everything! That, and pushing production of everything overseas.
Of course, they’ll never feel the squeeze. They just pass everything off onto the consumer.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
lol. It’sa direct result of corporate greed. Let’s go lean everything! That, and pushing production of everything overseas.
Of course, they’ll never feel the squeeze. They just pass everything off onto the consumer.
And the HUGE mistake of expecting consumption to drop at the start of the pandemic... made a slight shortfall a HUGE shortfall as consumption actually increased across the board, catching all industries off guard and resulting in exponential demand increase that could not be adjusted for.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Just finished reading "Leviathan Falls", the 9th and final book of The Expanse series.

Fantastic finish! Also, a very fitting and a bit humorous epilogue to close it out. :thumbu:

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Just finished reading "Leviathan Falls", the 9th and final book of The Expanse series.

Fantastic finish! Also, a very fitting and a bit humorous epilogue to close it out. :thumbu:
I've been meaning to jump back onto the books. Got through the first couple a while ago. Very good stuff (and good TV series as well)

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
If ya'll like the Expanse, I would check out The Foundation. It's based off the book series by Isaac Asimov

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If ya'll like the Expanse, I would check out The Foundation. It's based off the book series by Isaac Asimov
Grew up on the original books. Despise the TV series. Not even close to being faithful to the books. Special effects are really good, but boring AF, and stiff.

What I like about the Expanse is that some of the characters are really, really good, and most are at least ok. Averalasa, Bobbi, Amos are truly funny. The diversity in the true sense(in real life Bobbi is from Tonga, Amos -US Navy, Averasala- Iran, Alex -Canadian, and on and on) as opposed to the "Woke" diversity in Foundation, makes the show seem like it is truly in the future, and in a different time. Action is also good, as are the effects, and the general storyline, which also has some interesting scientific ideas.

Got my wife a Rocinante T- shirt for her birthday, and she loves it.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Grew up on the original books. Despise the TV series. Not even close to being faithful to the books. Special effects are really good, but boring AF, and stiff.

What I like about the Expanse is that some of the characters are really, really good, and most are at least ok. Averalasa, Bobbi, Amos are truly funny. The diversity in the true sense(in real life Bobbi is from Tonga, Amos -US Navy, Averasala- Iran, Alex -Canadian, and on and on) as opposed to the "Woke" diversity in Foundation, makes the show seem like it is truly in the future, and in a different time. Action is also good, as are the effects, and the general storyline, which also has some interesting scientific ideas.

Got my wife a Rocinante T- shirt for her birthday, and she loves it.
I never read the books, a little bit before my time. I liked the show /shrug.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Anyone sticking with Wheel of Time able to say it's worth it?
I remember the first three books being good, but I gave up somewhere around book 8 after 1700 pages of milling around and tugging on braids. I've heard Sanderson did a good job with the last few volumes though, so it might be worth the slog.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I remember the first three books being good, but I gave up somewhere around book 8 after 1700 pages of milling around and tugging on braids. I've heard Sanderson did a good job with the last few volumes though, so it might be worth the slog.

Oops, I failed to specify the Amazon show. The books have always been highly recommended but seemed like a lifelong commitment, which made the show extra appealing to give a shot. But I bailed halfway through the first episode.

I didn't realize someone else got involved with ending the series. Hope it worked out well, and the strategy is adopted by another long-running fantasy series that needs to wrap up.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Oops, I failed to specify the Amazon show. The books have always been highly recommended but seemed like a lifelong commitment, which made the show extra appealing to give a shot. But I bailed halfway through the first episode.

I didn't realize someone else got involved with ending the series. Hope it worked out well, and the strategy is adopted by another long-running fantasy series that needs to wrap up.
Well Jordan died so... yeah, probably the same strategy.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I enjoyed The Expanse TV series. I'd like to read the books but, my ADD is so damn bad, that it got frustrating reading 10 pages and not retaining any of it, then having to re-read it 4 times before my brain actually absorbed it all.

I had looked at checking out Wheel Of Time as well. Previews look decent, but they're supposed to. There have been a number of series lately that I've bailed on after 1-3 episodes. Mostly hoping the writing and dialogue get better...and then they don't.

Last edited:

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Well Jordan died so... yeah, probably the same strategy.

I glanced at something that said "co-authored" and made all kinds of unwarranted assumptions.

I had looking at checking out Wheel Of Time as well. Previews look decent, but they're supposed to. There have been a number of series lately that I've bailed on after 1-3 episodes. Mostly hoping the writing and dialogue get better...and then they don't.

After what seemed like hours, but wasn't even close, switched over to the new Cowboy Bebop and found that far more engaging.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I enjoyed The Expanse TV series. I'd like to read the books but, my ADD is so damn bad, that it got frustrating reading 10 pages and not retaining any of it, then having to re-read it 4 times before my brain actually absorbed it all.

I had looking at checking out Wheel Of Time as well. Previews look decent, but they're supposed to. There have been a number of series lately that I've bailed on after 1-3 episodes. Mostly hoping the writing and dialogue get better...and then they don't.
Have you tried audio books? I have a friend with ADD who found that to be a good solution for him. He swears by them. :dunno:
(I have heard the narrator that does the Expanse books does an excellent job FWIW)

It's worth the time and effort. The Expanse books are fantastic! The TV series is also very well done and follows the books very well. They couldn't have done a better job in casting. Avasarala both on page and screen... seamless! Amos, Alex, Bobbie, Holden... ESPECIALLY Detective Miller! Couldn't have pictured a better casting job.

The production value is top notch, the cinematography in creating the world is Nolan-esk (how they rotate the camera while panning back to create the sense of weightlessness in a zero G scene).

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Have you tried audio books? I have a friend with ADD who found that to be a good solution for him. He swears by them. :dunno:
(I have heard the narrator that does the Expanse books does an excellent job FWIW)

It's worth the time and effort. The Expanse books are fantastic! The TV series is also very well done and follows the books very well. They couldn't have done a better job in casting. Avasarala both on page and screen... seamless! Amos, Alex, Bobbie, Holden... ESPECIALLY Detective Miller! Couldn't have pictured a better casting job.

The production value is top notch, the cinematography in creating the world is Nolan-esk (how they rotate the camera while panning back to create the sense of weightlessness in a zero G scene).
If we're suggesting audiobooks and books... I HIGHLY recommend the Red Rising Series. Think of it as Hunger Games, in space, over months instead of a week.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Anyone sticking with Wheel of Time able to say it's worth it?
Meh...seems to be getting better, a bit, but you're not missing much unless you are a big fan of the Series. Nowhere near the standard set by shows like GOT or LOTR. Fantasy is hard to carry off on the screen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad