OT: General OT Thread #43 - Fugu Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Isn't the problem with refinancing they take the currently value of your home, as a new mortgage, in essense. Unfortunately, while interest rates may be low, mid-tier housing prices are at a near all time high.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

If you don't want any cash back, they will only refinance what you owe on your existing mortgage(s) plus any closing costs.

BTW - 2.25% is an excellent rate. I recently refinanced at 2.9%.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigT2002

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Isn't the problem with refinancing they take the currently value of your home, as a new mortgage, in essense. Unfortunately, while interest rates may be low, mid-tier housing prices are at a near all time high.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
That would be a home equity loan. Adding the equity of the home on top of the mortgage, basically resetting the mortgage to the home's current value.

Refinancing alone, only deals with what is owed left on the previous loan and refinancing for a better interest rate.

The homeowner takes on the cost of the refinancing including getting the house inspected etc to determine current value. That's where the money is made on the business side of refinancing.

Reactions: BigT2002

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
That would be a home equity loan. Adding the equity of the home on top of the mortgage, basically resetting the mortgage to the home's current value.

Refinancing alone, only deals with what is owed left on the previous loan and refinancing for a better interest rate.

The homeowner takes on the cost of the refinancing including getting the house inspected etc to determine current value. That's where the money is made on the business side of refinancing.

Yup! I was extremely fortunate that I'm on a VA Loan -- so didn't need any of that. For some, that value may not be there (a friend of mine is at 3.75 and when he looked at it, it was not at all worth it). Merely putting it out there if people haven't thought to look to see what it would cost or anything. I know every little bit can help some folks.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
So now I'm hearing that Hulu is also dropping FSN immediately. I really don't want to have to sign up for cable/satellite again. Any ideas?

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
So now I'm hearing that Hulu is also dropping FSN immediately. I really don't want to have to sign up for cable/satellite again. Any ideas?

I have Fubo here in Seattle and they have yet to cut their regionals on Fubo and it seems like they haven't in the Midwest either. Fubo has excellent sports packages, I have been extremely pleased with them so far.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
no guarantees how accurate my search info is, i downloaded fox sports go and after clicking on live tv fox north is there but gives you a code to go to fox sports go to activate then asks who is your provider. hulu was listed as a choice along with fubo; att now; sling; youtube tv; vidgo; then listed addnl providers direct tv; dish; att tv; xfinity; centurylink prism. anyone know if anybody has low cost subscriptions? maybe black friday special? cheers

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I don't think there are typically Black Friday deals for streaming services, but it's worth a shot. After YTTV jacked up the prices I've just been looking for "alternate streaming methods" for games that I care about. The fact they dropped FSN again along with Hulu and others means there is no decently priced option out there at this point that I'm aware of. I don't think Fubo has it either anymore?

It's sad, I would gladly pay the $45-50 a month for what I had with YouTube TV, but I'm just done with it at this point. They did the whole "add more forced channels that no one asked for to justify another price increase". I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen any a la carte service pop up yet.

I'm also surprised Fox hasn't started their own service where I could pay about $10/month for all their stations, which would presumably include FSN. I do know there has been talk of ditching the regional sports network structure for a while, so maybe that plays into it. With a new NHL broadcasting contract coming up in the next year anyway, maybe FSN won't even have many games after next year anyway though.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't think there are typically Black Friday deals for streaming services, but it's worth a shot. After YTTV jacked up the prices I've just been looking for "alternate streaming methods" for games that I care about. The fact they dropped FSN again along with Hulu and others means there is no decently priced option out there at this point that I'm aware of. I don't think Fubo has it either anymore?

It's sad, I would gladly pay the $45-50 a month for what I had with YouTube TV, but I'm just done with it at this point. They did the whole "add more forced channels that no one asked for to justify another price increase". I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen any a la carte service pop up yet.

I'm also surprised Fox hasn't started their own service where I could pay about $10/month for all their stations, which would presumably include FSN. I do know there has been talk of ditching the regional sports network structure for a while, so maybe that plays into it. With a new NHL broadcasting contract coming up in the next year anyway, maybe FSN won't even have many games after next year anyway though.
Local tv is dealt with by individual teams. The games not broadcast nationally won't be affected by any deal the Wild make to broadcast locally.

The regional sports network system hit critical mass price wise and the providers losing customers can't afford it anymore for the amount of viewers.

It's a broken system. Teams should look for alternative broadcast locally to compensate. Bring games back to over the air... if that means you need to make smaller deals over a larger number of local areas to cover your region, so be it. They did it before, they can do it again.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Completed my move today. Only downside is I don't have internet set up yet. Looks like tonight is will be radio, reading a book, and using mobile data for entertainment for now.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I was hit hard by that one. I've been watching Jeopardy since before I can even remember...was a staple with my family before dinner and it has remained that way. I still record every episode of Jeopardy, and that show probably wouldn't work as well as it does without someone like him. There was nobody like him and there never will be. Very very sad.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
When I was kid I used to watch a young Trebek host "Reach for The Top", which was a quiz show involving teams of HS students. His style was already apparent back then.

Reactions: TaLoN

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Anyone else watch the Queen’s Gambit? I use to play chess with my brother a lot as a child but never got serious into it. Well the show sparked in interest in chess again for me and I’m addicted to playing computer chess in my free time now.

The show somehow made competitive chess something I want to watch now.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Binged it. I liked the period piece aspect of it. Lost me a bit at the end when she started to look more like a model rather than a chess nerd.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Binged it. I liked the period piece aspect of it. Lost me a bit at the end when she started to look more like a model rather than a chess nerd.
Eh, that was bound to happen though.

It was hinted in early in the show how she noticed people making fun of what she wore. She even started to dress fashionable almost getting the latest trends in clothes in highschool once she started winning chess tournaments. Causing the girls that made fun of her do a double take.

Once she meets the model in NYC she talks about how she loves clothes and talked about how she would want to be a model. The transformation is pretty much complete when she goes to Paris and goes shopping.

The only thing that really threw me off, was how the show was going to explore the sexism of chess during the time in the description, but really you don't see any of it. Nobody seems upset that they are playing a girl and honestly the only time she gets scoffed was more because she didn't know the rules of competitive chess and refused to play in the beginners tournament. If anything it makes it look like Chess was a super progessive sport in the 60s for women.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Anyone else watch the Queen’s Gambit? I use to play chess with my brother a lot as a child but never got serious into it. Well the show sparked in interest in chess again for me and I’m addicted to playing computer chess in my free time now.

The show somehow made competitive chess something I want to watch now.

I am not a chess player but I thought this series was fantastic.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I've been appreciating "8 out of 10 Cat does Countdown" on Youtube. If you like British humor with some smart challenges mixed in, I suggest it.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
still looking for a black friday streaming special. fyi T mobile just came out with T VISION nov 1st. they have 3 choices all appear to have fox sports . live tv package $40.

TNor31

Mar 1, 2014
still looking for a black friday streaming special. fyi T mobile just came out with T VISION nov 1st. they have 3 choices all appear to have fox sports . live tv package $40.

Looks like it has Fox Sports but not the regional fox sports networks.

TNor31

Mar 1, 2014
heres the thing every website i checkout no long lists specifically fox sports north so i think its inside fox sports go appl.

Yah they will generally show a generic logo for fox sports regional sports. But the Tmobile only shows FS1 and FS2 which are owned by Fox and the regional networks are owned by Sinclair

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Yah they will generally show a generic logo for fox sports regional sports. But the Tmobile only shows FS1 and FS2 which are owned by Fox and the regional networks are owned by Sinclair
Sinclair is the devil. If you're not aware, look it up.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
The streaming conundrum is such a bad thing for long term growth of all sports leagues.

I broke down and purchased Sling after canceling youtube tv a month or so ago.

At least I can watch the Vikings and I do genuinely enjoy being able to flip through channels.

Sling seems to be less of a bad guy in comparison to the other options.

(AT&T TV being the arch evil villain. Back before I started up school and freelance web development I was selling AT&T TV as a third party representative. It's essentially the anti streaming-streaming service. Almost as expensive as Direct TV AND a two year contract)

Stay far away from AT&T TV and I say that as someone who got paid a couple hundred dollars per sign up.

On an unrelated note - does anyone have any issues with Frontier internet service? I believe I can get even faster service at a cheaper cost as opposed to Spectrum which I have now.

I'm thinking my best bet is switch internet providers every year to take advantage of new customer deals.

Paying around $90 a month for the best internet package 7 years ago or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
On an unrelated note - does anyone have any issues with Frontier internet service? I believe I can get even faster service at a cheaper cost as opposed to Spectrum which I have now.

I'm thinking my best bet is switch internet providers every year to take advantage of new customer deals.

Paying around $90 a month for the best internet package 7 years ago or so.

I had frontier years ago when i lived in apple valley. may have been the apartment i was in or something else, but all they had at the time was DSL and it sucked soo bad. but again, that was 10 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad