OT: General OT Thread #43 - Fugu Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Just got a call from my boss, she has an offer letter for me for a new position I applied for internally (which also happens to report to her).

The promotion works out to just under a $2/hr raise, I change from working 12hrs/night 3 days and 4 days alternating each week to a 10hr night 4 days/ week (technically the position is 8hrs/ night 5 days/ week, but per our discussion during the interview, she's fine with me doing 4 10s instead, as long as I get at least 40hrs/week).

I've been working the 12hr/ night compressed work week since '95, so going to 5 days would be too big of a change...I do 4 days frequently though as it is anyway so I can adjust to that.

Will be getting Saturday off when my shift changes... haven't had Saturday of regularly in forever!

I'll likely have to train my replacement before I move to the new hours, which means posting for, interviewing and hiring my replacement first etc. Not sure what that timeline will look like yet. I'll probably have more details on that tomorrow when I head in to start my work week. ;)

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Just got a call from my boss, she has an offer letter for me for a new position I applied for internally (which also happens to report to her).

The promotion works out to just under a $2/hr raise, I change from working 12hrs/night 3 days and 4 days alternating each week to a 10hr night 4 days/ week (technically the position is 8hrs/ night 5 days/ week, but per our discussion during the interview, she's fine with me doing 4 10s instead, as long as I get at least 40hrs/week).

I've been working the 12hr/ night compressed work week since '95, so going to 5 days would be too big of a change...I do 4 days frequently though as it is anyway so I can adjust to that.

Will be getting Saturday off when my shift changes... haven't had Saturday of regularly in forever!

I'll likely have to train my replacement before I move to the new hours, which means posting for, interviewing and hiring my replacement first etc. Not sure what that timeline will look like yet. I'll probably have more details on that tomorrow when I head in to start my work week. ;)
That's awsome

I used to run a Labor union and we negotiated 4 10's and it actually was better for everyone involved.

love the idea

Reactions: TaLoN and HotDish

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
That's awsome

I used to run a Labor union and we negotiated 4 10's and it actually was better for everyone involved.

love the idea

Studies have proven that the work force is more effective/efficient with four 10s versus five 8s. Not sure why we haven't moved to this model as a society yet.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So get a promotion in the afternoon yesterday, get an injury in the night.

Tripped over a power cord in the garage, right knee and right foot both jammed hard into the concrete.

Knee is sprained pretty badly, second toe bruised severely.

I can bend the toe, so likely not broken, but from tip to base, the toe is completely black and blue.

The knee, I can stand up and sit down without problems, but lifting the leg? Without an ace bandage wrapped around the knee, that's VERY difficult right now. Wrapped up though, I have nearly full range of motion. Amazing what compression does for the knee joint!

I'll give the knee a week or so to see if it will improve on its own before getting it checked out. I know sprains can be very problematic in the knee and sometimes seem worse than they are early on. If no improvement in a week or so, will get it checked out.

Until then...I guess life likes to find a balance. Can't have things look too good all at once... get a promotion and a raise? Fine, but now I'll have to limp around for a while too...:squint:

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
02-BFD55-F-9-B89-4846-B37-C-EF94735-F64-A3.jpg

Nice Sunday for a project.

Reactions: Lapa and Bazeek

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Planning a trip to go hiking/camping in the UP of Michigan specifically hiawatha national forest. I'm an experience camper/hiker and done many locations. I just have a few questions for anyone familiar with the area.

1) a few of the sites are forest roads only. While most are gravel and dirt do you think a 2 wheel car will get the job done. I checked the DNR and the conditions are "fair", but mostly I want to know if i should bring bollow my dad's 4 wheel truck or can I use my front wheel car?

2) how is cell reception? I know northern minnesota has improved dramatically from the past. So the UP might just be fine. I of course don't plan on using my cell a lot. mostly I just want to know if I should bring the sat phone for emergency or should my cell work fine?

3) lastly any great attraction by hiawatha?

I'll probably post this on the Detroit page too to see if they have any suggestions too.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Planning a trip to go hiking/camping in the UP of Michigan specifically hiawatha national forest. I'm an experience camper/hiker and done many locations. I just have a few questions for anyone familiar with the area.

1) a few of the sites are forest roads only. While most are gravel and dirt do you think a 2 wheel car will get the job done. I checked the DNR and the conditions are "fair", but mostly I want to know if i should bring bollow my dad's 4 wheel truck or can I use my front wheel car?

2) how is cell reception? I know northern minnesota has improved dramatically from the past. So the UP might just be fine. I of course don't plan on using my cell a lot. mostly I just want to know if I should bring the sat phone for emergency or should my cell work fine?

3) lastly any great attraction by hiawatha?

I'll probably post this on the Detroit page too to see if they have any suggestions too.

I would expect a 2-wheel drive car would manage roads with campsites somewhere along them but can't say for certain. Haven't ever paid attention to whether or not I had cell service when up there.

Did recently stay at Fayette which is just south, where there's a preserved fort/settlement tucked behind cliffs full of 1000 year old trees. My wife wants to revisit Kitch-iti-kipi at the eastern edge of Hiawatha. I don't know how much there is to do there, but there better be daily showings of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Yooper with heavily armed militiamen gracefully dancing across the surface.

Reactions: HotDish

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
95 with 70% humidity today. Down from 109 (but only about 40% humidity) last week. Would kill for 51 and rain!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Had to work... lol I love the temp though. Hate the hot JMO.
I don't mind cool weather, in fact I'm a big fan of January and February and dropping below 0 temps, but labor day is usually the sign post for the end of summer approaching.

51 and raining is a terrible end to summer holiday weather.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I don't mind cool weather, in fact I'm a big fan of January and February and dropping below 0 temps, but labor day is usually the sign post for the end of summer approaching.

51 and raining is a terrible end to summer holiday weather.

2020 says YUP and gleefully checks off another item

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->