OT: General OT Thread #43 - Fugu Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Savage Arms. I've never owned this brand before, so everything about this rifle is new to me. 5 round mag, bolt action. 200 yds is about the max I'd take a shot.

Mostly it looks like a nice starter rifle for the kid. Very little kick and light weight.
Savage makes quality rifles. I don't really know much about the caliber, other than it's one of the few that seems to always be in stock at Fleet Farm.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Savage makes quality rifles. I don't really know much about the caliber, other than it's one of the few that seems to always be in stock at Fleet Farm.

You and me both. I guess it's something that came out just a couple of years ago. It's in a class of rifles (straight-wall-cartridge-compliant) that can be used in shotgun only zones. Looks similar to a 30-30 in velocity, energy, and drop up to 150 yds.

Worst case it turns into a range gun to get the kids in the family used to shooting something bigger than a .22, and/or a backup deer gun.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You and me both. I guess it's something that came out just a couple of years ago. It's in a class of rifles (straight-wall-cartridge-compliant) that can be used in shotgun only zones. Looks similar to a 30-30 in velocity, energy, and drop up to 150 yds.

Worst case it turns into a range gun to get the kids in the family used to shooting something bigger than a .22, and/or a backup deer gun.
I just looked up the ballistics. Seems like a great gun for Minnesota. 150+ grain rounds at over 2300FPS is plenty for anything around here. If you can use it in shotgun zones then that's a huge plus.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I just looked up the ballistics. Seems like a great gun for Minnesota. 150+ grain rounds at over 2300FPS is plenty for anything around here. If you can use it in shotgun zones then that's a huge plus.

It looks like the use in shotgun zones is the big selling point (besides having ammo available). It would be a must have for me if I was in one of those zones, I have a bum shoulder and shotguns hurt.

I have a couple 30-06 that are my go to for deer hunting. The scope fogged up internally on one of them last year, so it's out of commission until I get a new scope mounted and ammo to sight it in.

I'll take the new gun out and shoot it once the weather clears up around here. If I like it I might take my buddy up on his pig hunting offer next year. It seems like a nice round for boar hunting.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It looks like the use in shotgun zones is the big selling point (besides having ammo available). It would be a must have for me if I was in one of those zones, I have a bum shoulder and shotguns hurt.

I have a couple 30-06 that are my go to for deer hunting. The scope fogged up internally on one of them last year, so it's out of commission until I get a new scope mounted and ammo to sight it in.

I'll take the new gun out and shoot it once the weather clears up around here. If I like it I might take my buddy up on his pig hunting offer next year. It seems like a nice round for boar hunting.
Texas? My dad keeps talking about wanting to go down there and shoot them out of helicopters

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Texas? My dad keeps talking about wanting to go down there and shoot them out of helicopters

Most Southern states have them. Texas is where my buddy is, not a heli hunt with him though. Those don't interest me, I've been up in enough helicopters. lol

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Savage Arms has been around a long time. I own a Savage 110 .338 rifle that my Grandad owned first and gave to me. About all you can find right now are the composite stock rifles and I’m personally not a fan of those.

eta: I loved my 110 until it got old, part of me will always miss it. Congrats on the purchase, Savage is very solid.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Back pain sucks. Perfectly fine for long stretches of time, then one day you can't sit, lie down, or walk normally without pain.

Reactions: Wabit

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

I could imagine that being an issue with a bad shoulder. I grew up hunting shotgun only zones with my rem 870 magnum with rifled barrel and winchester god partition (the good ones they used to make that shot over 2000 fps) that thing kicked. You knew you had a good day hunting if you got to the hotel with a purple shoulder. Loved it though, now if i shoot rifles or muzzleloaders i get this empty feeling like "thats it?" when it kicks :laugh:

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
I basically have 3 different calibers for deer hunting here on the dakotas. .243,
25-06, and 7mm-08. Of the 3 the .243 is hands down my favorite. Where I hunt, most shots are inside of 250 yards and no timber. .243 is fantastic for what I do. I don't think it gets enough credit as a capable deer cartridge and works well as a varmint round too. Very versatile. .25-06 is probobly better for deer but is is a long action cartridge and I prefer the short actions which a 7mm-08 is as well. I will always have a .243 no matter what. Even have a youth model waiting for my grandkids someday that's been in the family. Nephews and kids started with it.

Reactions: Wabit

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I basically have 3 different calibers for deer hunting here on the dakotas. .243,
25-06, and 7mm-08. Of the 3 the .243 is hands down my favorite. Where I hunt, most shots are inside of 250 yards and no timber. .243 is fantastic for what I do. I don't think it gets enough credit as a capable deer cartridge and works well as a varmint round too. Very versatile. .25-06 is probobly better for deer but is is a long action cartridge and I prefer the short actions which a 7mm-08 is as well. I will always have a .243 no matter what. Even have a youth model waiting for my grandkids someday that's been in the family. Nephews and kids started with it.
I've shot a handful of antelope and a whole bunch of Prairie dogs with a .243. Very fun and very accurate rifle.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I grew up hunting shotgun only zones with my rem 870 magnum with rifled barrel and winchester god partition (the good ones they used to make that shot over 2000 fps) that thing kicked. You knew you had a good day hunting if you got to the hotel with a purple shoulder.

I'm too old and broken for that to be considered fun anymore. Back when I was young and dumb I would have been bragging and showing off that shoulder to my friends the next day.

Reactions: GuerinUp

Wabit

May 23, 2016
There are some places doing Veteran Day freebies before the 11th this year. I just had the free burger/fries from Red Robin as my dinner tonight.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I just watched the Sheng-Chi movie. I liked it. For the most part (a few references to the other bazillion movies) I forgot it was a marvel movie and it enjoyed it as a fantasy kungfu movie.

Reactions: GuerinUp

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The kid likes shooting that 350 legend. She got comfortable with it quickly and went though the 20 round box without any issues or complaints.

Reactions: 2Pair

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I just watched the Sheng-Chi movie. I liked it. For the most part (a few references to the other bazillion movies) I forgot it was a marvel movie and it enjoyed it as a fantasy kungfu movie.

ya it was way different than any other marvel movie, was good. I liked the tie into the world of dr strange also

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
The Eternals was a pretty good flick. Got a bit long about midway through, then started to pick up the pace. A minor plot twist but overall a pretty decent flick.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
19c4ab86d867aa19d9354fcffcb7a5b6.jpg

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
People that send you home with Thanksgiving leftovers, but no gravy, are devious, twisted and cruel. How is that ever acceptable? :(

I'm literally scowling at my bowl like an angry 5 year old. This sucks.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
People that send you home with Thanksgiving leftovers, but no gravy, are devious, twisted and cruel. How is that ever acceptable? :(

I'm literally scowling at my bowl like an angry 5 year old. This sucks.
Go to KFC and buy gravy, problem solved and likely with much better gravy anyway. ;)

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Go to KFC and buy gravy, problem solved and likely with much better gravy anyway. ;)

Sounds simple, sure. Not quite in the cards though when you're standing there wanting to eat. Then open the containers and find no gravy. I don't have a KFC anywhere near my place anyway.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Sounds simple, sure. Not quite in the cards though when you're standing there wanting to eat. Then open the containers and find no gravy. I don't have a KFC anywhere near my place anyway.
I usually replace gravy in that scenario with jelly of some sort. Unless of course you're using it on potatoes...

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I usually replace gravy in that scenario with jelly of some sort. Unless of course you're using it on potatoes...

Yeah, potatoes...well, more or less a bowl of potatoes, stuffing, turkey, etc. Can't say the jelly thing sounds appealing to me though. Not a big sweet combined with savory guy. Unless it's BBQ...or Thai food. Sweet heat is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad