OT: General OT Thread #43 - Fugu Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Don't want to get political here.....but where were our elected leaders last night?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have no problem with being disgusted by the 4 cops who killed George Floyd, and by the mob who burned down buildings and pelted firefighters with bricks and bottles while they were risking their lives putting out fires. Neither of those groups were about justice.

At as time when the city needed action, calm, and reassurance, the Mayor was anything but. Other officials such as the County Attorney were tone deaf. The FBI agent in charge might well be very competent, but he should NEVER be in front of a camera. Walz seems to be the only guy who has a clue on how to act.

I understand that attorneys need to have solid evidence before arresting someone on something like murder or manslaughter, and don't want to have someone released on a technicality, but surely they could arrest the cops on a lesser charge, and announce that there are other charges pending?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I have no problem with being disgusted by the 4 cops who killed George Floyd, and by the mob who burned down buildings and pelted firefighters with bricks and bottles while they were risking their lives putting out fires. Neither of those groups were about justice.

At as time when the city needed action, calm, and reassurance, the Mayor was anything but. Other officials such as the County Attorney were tone deaf. The FBI agent in charge might well be very competent, but he should NEVER be in front of a camera. Walz seems to be the only guy who has a clue on how to act.

I understand that attorneys need to have solid evidence before arresting someone on something like murder or manslaughter, and don't want to have someone released on a technicality, but surely they could arrest the cops on a lesser charge, and announce that there are other charges pending?

Agreed, especially on your last point. If it were you or I who was on camera ending George Floyd's life, I can guarantee you that we would've been behind bars that very day.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Again, I am wondering about the police union and how much sway they have in this. Seems easy to you and me, but there is a LOT of red tape right now that they probably are wading through.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Again, I am wondering about the police union and how much sway they have in this. Seems easy to you and me, but there is a LOT of red tape right now that they probably are wading through.
Police union doesn't shield them from the law. They broke it. The biggest mistake in all of this is not having him in custody.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That mistake cost them tens(hundreds?) of millions in property damage and other expenses(Fire, State troopers, National guard), if not more, and further weakened public confidence in many of our leaders and institutions. The peripheral damage to the reputation of the city is not small, either. Can't see the NHL considering playing here now in the C-19 playoffs.

All in all, this thing was botched, but I think Walz and others have got things under some semblance of control.We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Jacob Frey booked his ticket out of town with that absolute bombing of a press conference at 1:30am this morning. Just awful all around. He went on national television and took absolutely no ownership over the situation, didn't answer a single f***ing question, and deflected everything onto the chief of police - who they then didn't even let speak!

Imagine a reporter asking you, the authority of a city, who is in charge and you just doe-eyeing the camera. My god.

I have first hand knowledge as of this morning that hundreds of millions of dollars in developments and investments are being pulled out of Minneapolis and Minnesota because of this.

Reactions: 57special

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Jacob Frey booked his ticket out of town with that absolute bombing of a press conference at 1:30am this morning. Just awful all around. He went on national television and took absolutely no ownership over the situation, didn't answer a single f***ing question, and deflected everything onto the chief of police - who they then didn't even let speak!

Imagine a reporter asking you, the authority of a city, who is in charge and you just doe-eyeing the camera. My god.

I have first hand knowledge as of this morning that hundreds of millions of dollars in developments and investments are being pulled out of Minneapolis and Minnesota because of this.

Is it his first press conference? You're supposed to tell the reporter that that's a nasty question, blame the previous holder of your office, mention that your personal buildings are all still standing, and somehow sexually assault a flag. f***ing 101 man.

Reactions: 57special

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Some Twin Cities suburbs add curfews as Minneapolis and St. Paul go into night lockdown due to riots
Some cities in the Twin Cities metro are joining with curfews put in place for Minneapolis and St. Paul after riots following the death of George Floyd.

Under orders issued for Minneapolis and St. Paul on Friday, residents face arrest if they are on the streets between 8 p.m. on Friday and 6 a.m. on Saturday and for the same time frame Saturday night into Sunday.

Under Governor Walz's order, exceptions are in place for first responders, people going to and from work, and journalists.
Friday evening, some suburban cities and counties also joined the curfew, issuing orders of their own. Curfews have been added in:
  • Anoka County: Friday, 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. on Saturday
  • Bloomington: Friday from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. and Saturday 8 p.m. until 6 a.m.
  • Brooklyn Park: Friday and Saturday, 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. the following morning each day
  • Dakota County: Friday and Saturday, 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. the following morning each day
  • Roseville: Friday, Saturday and Sunday, 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. the following morning each day

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Just crazy what is happening. Where is the police? Where is the National Guard? Are they just going to let the entire city of Minneapolis burn down/get looted? It seems like total anarchy at this point, it's clear many are taking advantage of the situation. I really hope all you guys at HF Wild are safe.

Reactions: Lapa and TaLoN

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Pentagon has just put military police from Fort Bragg and Fort Drum on alert to be deployed within 4 hours to Minneapolis.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Just crazy what is happening. Where is the police? Where is the National Guard? Are they just going to let the entire city of Minneapolis burn down/get looted? It seems like total anarchy at this point, it's clear many are taking advantage of the situation. I really hope all you guys at HF Wild are safe.

I'm not a resident of Minnesota but I can say from everything I've read and heard that this has been bubbling under the surface there for quite a long time. The death of George Floyd just happened to be the spark.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The vast majority of people doing this damage couldn't give a shit about George Floyd. They are criminals blowing up businesses and property where citizens work and live, which will cause untold misery in the months and years to come.

I am amazed that no one else has been killed yet.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The vast majority of people doing this damage couldn't give a shit about George Floyd. They are criminals blowing up businesses and property where citizens work and live, which will cause untold misery in the months and years to come.

I am amazed that no one else has been killed yet.

Didn't a looter get shot and killed by a pawn broker?

Also reading some news feeds from my relatives, the poor kids. Coronavirus not making this any easier.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Man, I live in Minneapolis and my pregnant wife just went to get groceries. Literally everything is closed, now. Luckily we still have some food, so we can make due, but this has gotten nuts. Any rioters that are coming to Minneapolis just to riot... I guess all I can say is: Go burn your own home.

More politically, I think it's sort of sad that the real message has been lost in all this violence. This isn't helping anyone.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Man, I live in Minneapolis and my pregnant wife just went to get groceries. Literally everything is closed, now. Luckily we still have some food, so we can make due, but this has gotten nuts. Any rioters that are coming to Minneapolis just to riot... I guess all I can say is: Go burn your own home.

If you need any food, I can send some non-perishables up from Texas. Like I think chips and canned goods? Maybe? Do you need anything for the kiddo?

Reactions: TaLoN and Lapa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad