OT: General OT Thread #43 - Fugu Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Not really. It was absolutely cheaper for about 3 years. Then consider that you don't have to deal with awful customer service, locked-in contracts, and can easily stream on practically any device, and it's an easy decision for me.

But if you're talking about the people that do like HBO, Disney+, Netflix and Hulu all at once, I won't disagree with that. I just had the one service.
Yeah, I should have clarified and said premium content. But if you want to watch older shows or episodes you will sometimes need a subscription for that as well.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah, I should have clarified and said premium content. But if you want to watch older shows or episodes you will sometimes need a subscription for that as well.
Got it, yeah I agree with you there. But not having to deal with contracts and Comcast customer service is a big deal still.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Got it, yeah I agree with you there. But not having to deal with contracts and Comcast customer service is a big deal still.
I wouldn't be surprised to see more sporting events moved to subscription only packages. You would still have all the big time matchups on basic cable, but if you are a fan of a less popular team you would need to pay extra to watch them out of market. One of the things that I like about Comcast is I can use my account to watch all of those shows that are on specific subscription networks.

The real problem is letting companies like Disney buy up all the other guys. Monopolies will always screw over the customer.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Only if you're immuno-compromised or have an underlying condition.
That we know of. A reason why this is a big deal is because we still don't know a whole lot about it. And even if you yourself aren't that affected by it you can still spread it to people who would be. It's not the end of the world that some people seem to think it is, but it isn't something to just dismiss.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That we know of. A reason why this is a big deal is because we still don't know a whole lot about it. And even if you yourself aren't that affected by it you can still spread it to people who would be. It's not the end of the world that some people seem to think it is, but it isn't something to just dismiss.
The Flu has already killed 46,000 Americans this flu season, 575,000 world wide. People pass it on to others all the time and others pay the price. There's nothing we can do to stop that.

Minnesota just this past week finally got the resources for limited testing... if you get a cough or sniffle, can you get tested for it? Absolutely not... they only have the resources to test cases they deem high risk. Yet the State health officials said they think there has been a background level of infection present in Minnesota going back to January most likely.

They recently discovered over the past week that the infection rate is likely astronomically higher than they were aware of, as many who have tested positive never develop symptoms in the first place. That means many thousands were likely infected and never knew it in the first place because they never got sick.

Yes... there is still a lot "unknown" about this, but just because it's unknown doesn't mean we need to be "overly concerned" either. Do what you would do to prevent getting the flu or cold (ie wash your hands regularly, limit your exposure to those who are sick etc). If you are doing that, you're fine, nothing more to be concerned about.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
The Flu has already killed 46,000 Americans this flu season, 575,000 world wide. People pass it on to others all the time and others pay the price. There's nothing we can do to stop that.

Minnesota just this past week finally got the resources for limited testing... if you get a cough or sniffle, can you get tested for it? Absolutely not... they only have the resources to test cases they deem high risk. Yet the State health officials said they think there has been a background level of infection present in Minnesota going back to January most likely.

They recently discovered over the past week that the infection rate is likely astronomically higher than they were aware of, as many who have tested positive never develop symptoms in the first place. That means many thousands were likely infected and never knew it in the first place because they never got sick.

Yes... there is still a lot "unknown" about this, but just because it's unknown doesn't mean we need to be "overly concerned" either. Do what you would do to prevent getting the flu or cold (ie wash your hands regularly, limit your exposure to those who are sick etc). If you are doing that, you're fine, nothing more to be concerned about.
We understand how the flu works. There are vaccines for the flu. When something like this breaks out the actual death count isn't always what you should use to dictate how serious a disease is. The economic and societal burdens can sometimes do more harm than the actual deaths in the long run. We're already seeing some of that right now.

You are thinking about this as someone with common sense and rational would, but unfortunately a lot of people in this country don't use that kind of thought. And there a lot of people who don't have the choice to sit at home and recover. There are multiple factors that make outbreaks like this a challenge beyond how deadly it can be.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
We understand how the flu works. There are vaccines for the flu. When something like this breaks out the actual death count isn't always what you should use to dictate how serious a disease is. The economic and societal burdens can sometimes do more harm than the actual deaths in the long run. We're already seeing some of that right now.

You are thinking about this as someone with common sense and rational would, but unfortunately a lot of people in this country don't use that kind of thought. And there a lot of people who don't have the choice to sit at home and recover. There are multiple factors that make outbreaks like this a challenge beyond how deadly it can be.
That's the problem, people are feeding off the fear-mongering news out there and going all nuts buying so much toilet paper that Costco of all places has run out.

I will not contribute to irrational behavior, I will only try to encourage rational behavior. ;)

EDIT: It also doesn't help when you get government officials contributing to the irrational behavior either... ie the county that San Jose is in, publicly advised the San Jose Sharks to cancel their game vs the Wild because of the coronavirus... The Sharks had the perfect twitter response IMO "GAME ON!"

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
That's the problem, people are feeding off the fear-mongering news out there and going all nuts buying so much toilet paper that Costco of all places has run out.

I will not contribute to irrational behavior, I will only try to encourage rational behavior. ;)
I believe we're on the same page but at different paragraphs. I'm with you about the not panicking and using your brain. I'm more worried about those who refuse to do that. There are plenty of people who think the flu is still not a big deal when it is. Those are the people I try to avoid.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I believe we're on the same page but at different paragraphs. I'm with you about the not panicking and using your brain. I'm more worried about those who refuse to do that.
Absolutely... but if someone asks me about coronavirus, I'm going to be honest and encourage them to be rational, treat it the same as the cold or flu. ;)

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Absolutely... but if someone asks me about coronavirus, I'm going to be honest and encourage them to be rational, treat it the same as the cold or flu. ;)
Another reason I'm glad I don't have kids yet. Or work in the medical industry. Or education. That's why I only work with fish. Ain't no fish flu.

Reactions: TaLoN

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Speaking of irrational behavior... this happened at a youth hockey game...

Parents>Deadly Diseases. I remember watching my brother play traveling soccer at the top MN level and one of his teammates father did nothing but critique and whine about the refs.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Parents>Deadly Diseases. I remember watching my brother play traveling soccer at the top MN level and one of his teammates father did nothing but critique and whine about the refs.
Why can't parents just watch the game and just be happy to see their kids involved? They should be sure their kids understand sportsmanship first and foremost. Let the game p layout and your kid enjoy it.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Why can't parents just watch the game and just be happy to see their kids involved? They should be sure their kids understand sportsmanship first and foremost. Let the game p layout and your kid enjoy it.
Is was in Massachusetts, your standards are too high

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Is was in Massachusetts, your standards are too high
Damn, burn dude, you just got burned.

I'm glad my parents never played organized sports growing up. The worst parents are the ones either trying to relive their glory days or pull a Lavar and gloat about fake stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->