OT: General OT Thread #43 - Fugu Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Remember when these OT threads were active and only lasted a few weeks at most?

So whats new with everyone?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Just been waiting for you to come back in classic epic-rant fashion. :sarcasm:

Sorry, I got no rants in me lately.

I do have a cat now tho. Came home from work day before Thanksgiving and found a little kitten with a collar and no tag wandering in the show. Nobody claimed her on Facebook, so weve adopted her. She's very affectionate and basically helped me get through a nightmarish holiday season.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
My poor dog (2yo heeler). He tore up the pads on one of his front paws a couple of days ago. So he's been put on IR until it heals, and he has to wear a bootie outside to do his business. The only thing wore would be if he had to wear a "cone of shame." :laugh:

The whole laying around doing nothing isn't sitting well with him. Low intensity playtime doesn't keep his interest for very long when there isn't high intensity activities (or a job) to go with it.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Travel and more travel. Been non stop the last month. Saw Socal one day, to Houston the next, to Atlanta, to Miami, to NYC, to Boston, to home -- its been hell.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Remember when you posted like 200 times/day and would have a 2 page long worth rant in each gameday thread?

Not much new here... just more grey hair... you?

Reactions: BigT2002

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Does it seem like we are getting more snow this winter or is it because we are getting so much in a short span of time?
I think we were actually waaaaay under average in January. And just now we're hitting the regression to the mean.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I think we were actually waaaaay under average in January. And just now we're hitting the regression to the mean.
The forecast is calling for up to a 1.5ft of snow in the next 10 days. I'm glad we're getting some snow, but I would prefer it spread out a bit. I'm running out of room to put it all.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Does it seem like we are getting more snow this winter or is it because we are getting so much in a short span of time?

I'll take the snow over the 2 day warm snap (melted 2' of snow), followed by 2 days of right at the freezing mark rain/ice mix, then drop back to below 0 temps. There is a 1/4" of ice covering everything here. The snowplow drivers didn't do me any favors either, they didn't come within 3' of the curb (drainage has been slow at best). On the bright side everything has been coming from the West and North this year, so remnants of Lake Michigan lake effect snow dumping on me.

When I lived in Buffalo I got to see one Niagara Falls frozen; which was one of the coolest nature things I've seen. My frozen lawn just can't compare. :laugh:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Remember when you posted like 200 times/day and would have a 2 page long worth rant in each gameday thread?

Not much new here... just more grey hair... you?

I adopted a stray kitten:
XaH2gsO.jpg

Day before thanksgiving I came home and saw her wandering in the snow. I saw she had a collar, so I thought someone lost their kitten. So I called to her and she came right over. I brushed the snow off her and saw there was no tag. So I let her decide what she wanted to so I put her down to get my stuff and when I looked up she was waiting at the stairs to my house. I opened the door for her and she crept inside and she's been a part of our household ever since. Took her to the vet for her shots and she's in perfect health, and she is a snuggler. She gets along with our dog too. And our dog loves it too since she's not home alone anymore whenever me and the GF are out.

Best thing I got all holiday season and its not even close.

Reactions: TaLoN

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I adopted a stray kitten:
XaH2gsO.jpg

Day before thanksgiving I came home and saw her wandering in the snow. I saw she had a collar, so I thought someone lost their kitten. So I called to her and she came right over. I brushed the snow off her and saw there was no tag. So I let her decide what she wanted to so I put her down to get my stuff and when I looked up she was waiting at the stairs to my house. I opened the door for her and she crept inside and she's been a part of our household ever since. Took her to the vet for her shots and she's in perfect health, and she is a snuggler. She gets along with our dog too. And our dog loves it too since she's not home alone anymore whenever me and the GF are out.

Best thing I got all holiday season and its not even close.

Cute kitty. You didn't adopt the cat, the cat adopted you. The cat will tell you this if you ask it.

Adoption.jpg

Reactions: TaLoN

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The forecast is calling for up to a 1.5ft of snow in the next 10 days. I'm glad we're getting some snow, but I would prefer it spread out a bit. I'm running out of room to put it all.
I'm in Vegas the next three days. Maybe I should make it the next 10 then...

Wabit

May 23, 2016
e853af89-r1.jpg

The rear tire looks weird without a hub. I really don't know what to think of a motorcycle with no chains, gears, or motor cycle sound.

It's an interesting concept for an electric motorcycle from a Finnish startup RMK.

RMK Vehicles

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
e853af89-r1.jpg

The rear tire looks weird without a hub. I really don't know what to think of a motorcycle with no chains, gears, or motor cycle sound.

It's an interesting concept for an electric motorcycle from a Finnish startup RMK.

RMK Vehicles
Hubless motorcycles becoming a thing, another Star Trek prediction.

i254983.jpg

This one is built by Ballistic Cycles in Wisconsin.
DSC_0183.JPG

Here's a concept built by BMW
2.jpg

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Hubless motorcycles becoming a thing, another Star Trek prediction.

i254983.jpg

This one is built by Ballistic Cycles in Wisconsin.
DSC_0183.JPG

Here's a concept built by BMW
2.jpg

Star Trek took the idea from Tron. Those are neat looking bikes, but look really unconformable to ride.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Star Trek took the idea from Tron. Those are neat looking bikes, but look really unconformable to ride.
Seconded this (as you can see from my avatar I'm a huge TRON fan).

People made the hubless motorcycle thing happen before TRON: Legacy was even released in theaters:

It's actually amazing to me that they can do that. I'd love to know the science behind driving the real wheel with no hub.

Even so, the riding position would give me cramps within minutes and it probably turns like ass. I couldn't imagine getting close to any lean angle on that at all.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Tron Legacy did hubless, yes, but that film came out a full year and a half after Trek did it in 2009. The 1982 Tron bikes were not hubless.

BTW - The Hubless Monster - this bike is credited as being the first ever fully functional hubless motorcycle, built in 2010. Tron Legacy was released in theaters a few months later.

Last edited:

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Tron Legacy did hubless, yes, but that film came out a full year and a half after Trek did it in 2009. The 1982 Tron bikes were not hubless.

BTW - The Hubless Monster - this bike is credited as being the first ever fully functional hubless motorcycle, built in 2010. Tron Legacy was released in theaters a few months later.

Star Trek might have come out in 2009, but the original Legacy light cycle was first shown in 2008 with this teaser shown at Comic-Con.

Really though it doesn't matter who did it "first" or not. They were both in development at the same time.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Star Trek might have come out in 2009, but the original Legacy light cycle was first shown in 2008 with this teaser shown at Comic-Con.

Really though it doesn't matter who did it "first" or not. They were both in development at the same time.

And? Filming on Trek had wrapped up by April 2008, well before comic-con. It was on schedule to release in Dec 2008, but Paramount delayed it to May 2009 because they wanted the Summer audience.

I love Tron Legacy too, but it didn't beat Trek to that punch.

I agree that it doesn't really matter, but it was stated that Trek stole it from Tron, which just wasn't true is all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad