OT: General OT Thread #43 - Fugu Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I use mine a ton. Mostly just use the “water” flavors which are like better lacroix. Probably don’t save money but I like not having the space cans take up, plus I like controlling the carbonation.

Yeah, if that's your aim, it will probably be a disappointment.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
One of these days. After a tough week just want to listen some Prince, Lynyrd Skynyrd, SRV, Neil Young, Queen.. you know the classics and grab a few beers! Or you don't?

I feel so f***ing old..

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So I was on my way to my brother's place in Jordan yesterday, I noticed an audible vibration possibly from the left rear when turning left at speed.

I had just swapped my wheels last week, as I have my snow tires already mounted on their own set, so I was wondering if I either had a loose wheel or maybe I had the tread separating from a tire.

As I was trying to diagnose that left rear issue, I get blindsided by a much louder vibration, one that I could feel pretty severely in the front. I slow way down, realizing it is no longer safe to drive at speed, so I was down to around 30 in a 55 trying to diagnose this issue, which sounded similar to the issue I was earlier trying to get a read on from the rear. I stopped a couple different times to visually inspect both front wheels and tires, but when I stopped I couldn't see anything wrong. From past experience, you won't see tread separation on a wheel that isn't moving, and I checked the bolt holes and everything looked fine, nothing appeared loose, but without a torque wrench I couldn't be sure.

I was just a few miles from my brother's place, so I limped the car on... now around only 20mph, driving with my flashers on when it reached a point where it was clearly not driveable. This time when I got out to look, it was clear as day that the left front was EXTREMELY loose! In fact, so loose, only a single bolt was actually still holding it on barely. The other 4 were completely unthreaded! I was lucky they were still sitting in the bolt holes on the wheel, they could have fallen out on their own.

Being that highway 21 north into Jordan is a fairly busy road, and I'm on the hill heading right into town, which has virtually no shoulder due to a guard rail on the side, no way was I going to lay down on the driver's side to get a jack under the car when I can just use AAA. They arrived in 20 minutes, remounted the wheel, I was on my way.

Heading home, I noticed the vibration from the left rear was getting louder, and since I now recognized this as the same sound to a lesser degree that the left front made when it got bad, I knew the left rear must also be a bit loose. I didn't feel a vibration, but just knowing what the sound meant, I didn't feel safe at highway speeds, so I averaged between 30-40 from Jordan to Farmington.

All this happening just a week and a half after I swapped my wheels at Discount Tire to get my snow tires on. Obviously they must've been loose from that placement.

I brought the S4 in right away this morning, told them what happened, also let them know it sounded like possibly the left rear might be loose as well. I also showed them the hub ring that was torn up and couldn't be put back on with the rim when AAA remounted it.

They immediately apologized and bumped my car ahead of those who had scheduled appointments, took off all the wheels again, inspecting them all for possible damage, they noticed one of the bolt holes was very "slightly" ovaled out (I'll be honest, when they showed me, I wouldn't have even noticed with out it being pointed out) on the wheel that almost came off. They are ordering a replacement rim to replace that one free of charge. After all the others were checked out as being fine, they remounted all of them and torqued the bolts an extra 5lbs to assure the same won't happen again.

I was all set to be very angry with them this morning, but they stepped up to make this right. The audible vibration from the rear is clearly gone, so I felt safe again driving at speed. Obviously I'll be extra sensitive for that sound again now that I know what it means if I hear it.

Hopefully, it's something I'll not have to deal with again though. I've been going to this Discount Tire location for years (since 2006) and this is the first issue I've ever had. With how they're handling this, they will continue to get my business. The TSW wheels my snow tires are mounted on, I bought from them at the same time I purchased the snow tires, so the replacement order they put in is seamless, as it's already in their system.

All in all, everything is good.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
One of these days. After a tough week just want to listen some Prince, Lynyrd Skynyrd, SRV, Neil Young, Queen.. you know the classics and grab a few beers! Or you don't?

I feel so ****ing old..
suck it up. You could be my love child.:naughty:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So I was on my way to my brother's place in Jordan yesterday, I noticed an audible vibration possibly from the left rear when turning left at speed.

I had just swapped my wheels last week, as I have my snow tires already mounted on their own set, so I was wondering if I either had a loose wheel or maybe I had the tread separating from a tire.

As I was trying to diagnose that left rear issue, I get blindsided by a much louder vibration, one that I could feel pretty severely in the front. I slow way down, realizing it is no longer safe to drive at speed, so I was down to around 30 in a 55 trying to diagnose this issue, which sounded similar to the issue I was earlier trying to get a read on from the rear. I stopped a couple different times to visually inspect both front wheels and tires, but when I stopped I couldn't see anything wrong. From past experience, you won't see tread separation on a wheel that isn't moving, and I checked the bolt holes and everything looked fine, nothing appeared loose, but without a torque wrench I couldn't be sure.

I was just a few miles from my brother's place, so I limped the car on... now around only 20mph, driving with my flashers on when it reached a point where it was clearly not driveable. This time when I got out to look, it was clear as day that the left front was EXTREMELY loose! In fact, so loose, only a single bolt was actually still holding it on barely. The other 4 were completely unthreaded! I was lucky they were still sitting in the bolt holes on the wheel, they could have fallen out on their own.

Being that highway 21 north into Jordan is a fairly busy road, and I'm on the hill heading right into town, which has virtually no shoulder due to a guard rail on the side, no way was I going to lay down on the driver's side to get a jack under the car when I can just use AAA. They arrived in 20 minutes, remounted the wheel, I was on my way.

Heading home, I noticed the vibration from the left rear was getting louder, and since I now recognized this as the same sound to a lesser degree that the left front made when it got bad, I knew the left rear must also be a bit loose. I didn't feel a vibration, but just knowing what the sound meant, I didn't feel safe at highway speeds, so I averaged between 30-40 from Jordan to Farmington.

All this happening just a week and a half after I swapped my wheels at Discount Tire to get my snow tires on. Obviously they must've been loose from that placement.

I brought the S4 in right away this morning, told them what happened, also let them know it sounded like possibly the left rear might be loose as well. I also showed them the hub ring that was torn up and couldn't be put back on with the rim when AAA remounted it.

They immediately apologized and bumped my car ahead of those who had scheduled appointments, took off all the wheels again, inspecting them all for possible damage, they noticed one of the bolt holes was very "slightly" ovaled out (I'll be honest, when they showed me, I wouldn't have even noticed with out it being pointed out) on the wheel that almost came off. They are ordering a replacement rim to replace that one free of charge. After all the others were checked out as being fine, they remounted all of them and torqued the bolts an extra 5lbs to assure the same won't happen again.

I was all set to be very angry with them this morning, but they stepped up to make this right. The audible vibration from the rear is clearly gone, so I felt safe again driving at speed. Obviously I'll be extra sensitive for that sound again now that I know what it means if I hear it.

Hopefully, it's something I'll not have to deal with again though. I've been going to this Discount Tire location for years (since 2006) and this is the first issue I've ever had. With how they're handling this, they will continue to get my business. The TSW wheels my snow tires are mounted on, I bought from them at the same time I purchased the snow tires, so the replacement order they put in is seamless, as it's already in their system.

All in all, everything is good.

That's a rough day. AAA is great to have, it's a bill I don't mind paying even if I don't use it for the year.

The S4 wheels use lug bolts not lug nuts, correct? I've seen loose wheels wreck brake rotor/caliper before, is why I asked. I know the lugs can loosen up after a tire is changed and the car is driven, but it's usually only on one wheel not all of them.

Also make a note that the tires have been over-torqued by that 5lbs, it'll need to be done every time from now on.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's a rough day. AAA is great to have, it's a bill I don't mind paying even if I don't use it for the year.

The S4 wheels use lug bolts not lug nuts, correct? I've seen loose wheels wreck brake rotor/caliper before, is why I asked. I know the lugs can loosen up after a tire is changed and the car is driven, but it's usually only on one wheel not all of them.

Also make a note that the tires have been over-torqued by that 5lbs, it'll need to be done every time from now on.
Yes, bolts.

The ones in question were after market TSWs that I purchased so I don't have to have tires repeatedly removed and remounted from wheels in the spring and fall. Better for the tires that way. Besides, I didn't want to use the split spoke stock rims in the winter. Those split spokes are prone to getting caked in with snow throwing off the wheel balance until you can get it cleared, possibly leading to tread separation due to driving on imbalanced wheels.

The TSWs are solid 5 spoked wheels.

And trust me, I'll make sure of that over torque every time now. This is the first time I've ever had a wheel come loose, and I know at least one of the others was coming loose, but they all feel / sound fine now. Will be notified when my left front replacement wheel is in and get that swapped on, and again makesure it's over torqued.

Agree with you completely on AAA. I know roadside assistance is cheaper if you go through your insurance, but the roadside service is exponentially better with AAA. It's worth the extra cost.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yes, bolts.

The ones in question were after market TSWs that I purchased so I don't have to have tires repeatedly removed and remounted from wheels in the spring and fall. Better for the tires that way. Besides, I didn't want to use the split spoke stock rims in the winter. Those split spokes are prone to getting caked in with snow throwing off the wheel balance until you can get it cleared, possibly leading to tread separation due to driving on imbalanced wheels.

The TSWs are solid 5 spoked wheels.

And trust me, I'll make sure of that over torque every time now. This is the first time I've ever had a wheel come loose, and I know at least one of the others was coming loose, but they all feel / sound fine now. Will be notified when my left front replacement wheel is in and get that swapped on, and again makesure it's over torqued.

Agree with you completely on AAA. I know roadside assistance is cheaper if you go through your insurance, but the roadside service is exponentially better with AAA. It's worth the extra cost.

My insurance lets me attach AAA to my policy instead of having to use "their service" and it saves me a couple bucks on just insurance + AAA.

For all the wheels to come loose like that makes me wonder if: they put too much goop on the lugs, it was a bad torque wrench, or the wheels had been overtorqued before? I don't see the rims being the issue if you've used them in the past, unless they are steel and were corroded on the inside.

I don't use snow tires, but if I did, I'd do the same thing and get them mounted on a separate set of rims.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
My insurance lets me attach AAA to my policy instead of having to use "their service" and it saves me a couple bucks on just insurance + AAA.

For all the wheels to come loose like that makes me wonder if: they put too much goop on the lugs, it was a bad torque wrench, or the wheels had been overtorqued before? I don't see the rims being the issue if you've used them in the past, unless they are steel and were corroded on the inside.

I don't use snow tires, but if I did, I'd do the same thing and get them mounted on a separate set of rims.
As far as I know, only the two on the left were loose, not the right, but they over torqued all to be sure.

Yes I've used them before, and they're only a couple years old. Not steel either. They are sparkling clean, no corrosion inside or out.

No, they haven't been over torqued before now. Both Audi service and Discount Tire torqued to spec every time in the past. Maybe an inexperienced kid with the torque wrench or as you said, a bad torque wrench.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
As far as I know, only the two on the left were loose, not the right, but they over torqued all to be sure.

Yes I've used them before, and they're only a couple years old. Not steel either. They are sparkling clean, no corrosion inside or out.

No, they haven't been over torqued before now. Both Audi service and Discount Tire torqued to spec every time in the past. Maybe an inexperienced kid with the torque wrench or as you said, a bad torque wrench.

For aircraft we have to safety wire all the wheel lugs. It's a PITA but it absolutely makes it safer. With all the other safety things autos need to have I'm a little surprised it's not a requirement.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
For aircraft we have to safety wire all the wheel lugs. It's a PITA but it absolutely makes it safer. With all the other safety things autos need to have I'm a little surprised it's not a requirement.
Wow, I never even heard of such a thing, had to look it up. I see that there are several ways commercial vehicles can have safety locks for their lugs, but don't see any options for passenger cars.

Odd that such a simple solution hasn't yet been mandated.

With how many people out there on the road not understanding what they hear or feel from their vehicles, not understanding situations that are a real safety risk, you'd think this would be a no brainer.

I've seen the result of other drivers not recognizing the same issue I had developing, and have a wheel come off at 70+mph, that can kill people.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wow, I never even heard of such a thing, had to look it up. I see that there are several ways commercial vehicles can have safety locks for their lugs, but don't see any options for passenger cars.

Odd that such a simple solution hasn't yet been mandated.

With how many people out there on the road not understanding what they hear or feel from their vehicles, not understanding situations that are a real safety risk, you'd think this would be a no brainer.

I've seen the result of other drivers not recognizing the same issue I had developing, and have a wheel come off at 70+mph, that can kill people.

I've wanted it done for NASCAR just to make pitstops more interesting. :laugh:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Meh, instead they made pit stops less interesting by having few green flag stops to worry about with stupid stages.

Not going to disagree with that.

The 2 things that scare me the most about working on aircraft: spinning propellers/rotors and inflating tires.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Wall of text.

Dude!! Glad you're okay. That is some serious stuff that could of happened. Good on you for actually and checking. I've seen folks have a wheel come flying off and what it did to the car. I can't imagine if you were on 169 and that happened at any rate of speed. Ditch most likely.

Reactions: TaLoN

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

They have that in Brazil of all places for trucks. Same thing. Keeps the wheels on in case the lugs come off.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
napa_chicken_pita_salad.png

Why do planes require Greek sandwiches?

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I'd really like to know what those pages say translated to English.

Left side: Santa guards the skulls of children which he has taken as hunting trophies.

According to some sources, the pile grew into Korvatunturi.

Right side: Old-time Santa didn't spare the whip.

(No, I'm not kidding) :laugh:

Reactions: FVM

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So my 13yo daughter is having a friend sleepover tonight. Right now they are watching IT (mom said it was okay) in the living room.

I put one of the smart lightbulbs (I can control it with the phone) and a bluetooth speaker in the room to mess with them. Yes, this probably makes me a terrible human. Do I care? Nope, let the fun begin. :naughty:

Reactions: FVM and Lapa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad