OT: General OT Thread #42: The Answer to the Ultimate Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Maybe it is just the middle schooler in me from 20 years ago peeking through, but holy **** Power Rangers was amazeballs. 10/10

Go see it pls.

Also, Elizabeth Banks gets my vote for villain of the year :yo:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Went and looked at a house rental that would be perfect for us yesterday. Unfortunately, roughly ALL THE PEOPLE EVER also filled out an application for the place, so.... :(

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The housing market has gone crazy this spring. Multiple offers on homes, homes selling in a day, etc..

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
The housing market has gone crazy this spring. Multiple offers on homes, homes selling in a day, etc..

That's what we've been hearing. Unfortunately we're not in on that end of it because we just bought a car a few months back, and the general opinion seemed to be no bank would take us seriously until we'd been making payments on it for a year, good credit be damned :help:

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
That's what we've been hearing. Unfortunately we're not in on that end of it because we just bought a car a few months back, and the general opinion seemed to be no bank would take us seriously until we'd been making payments on it for a year, good credit be damned :help:

Even under an FHA loan? I'd be weary about buying a house for at least a couple years however if Trump gets his way with Dodd-Frank. A bubble is going to burst with housing or student loans rather soon. It won't be good.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
If anyone needs some reading material, check this out from Wired:

Inside the Hunt for Russia’s Most Notorious Hacker

I work in the IT field, so stuff like this has always interested me, but this is just wild. For so many years, this guy and his botnet were stealing millions of dollars, and they legit had no clue who he was. Didn't even know his first name.

It's a long form article, so it's not a quick read, but if the topic interests you, it's worth it.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

I work in the IT field, so stuff like this has always interested me, but this is just wild. For so many years, this guy and his botnet were stealing millions of dollars, and they legit had no clue who he was. Didn't even know his first name.

It's a long form article, so it's not a quick read, but if the topic interests you, it's worth it.

You and I should get together then if this stuff interests you :laugh:

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland

This is super interesting as I'm aiming towards masters degree on cyber security.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
It's definitely interesting. I do IT support, just supporting a few applications in our environment. Mainly just provisioning and troubleshooting servers, so nothing too intense, haha. But I was like on the edge of my seat reading the part in the article about their offensive on this guy's botnet :laugh:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
It's definitely interesting. I do IT support, just supporting a few applications in our environment. Mainly just provisioning and troubleshooting servers, so nothing too intense, haha. But I was like on the edge of my seat reading the part in the article about their offensive on this guy's botnet :laugh:

Oh that isn't all of it I assure you lol. Botnets are a PITA to track down. Eastern Europe is a safe haven since they have very few cyber laws on their books.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland

A great read. I just design and configure systems.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
A great read. I just design and configure systems.

That is a huge part of it. Most people who try to get into Red Teams have very little knowledge of how networks and the infrastructure actually works. They think because they go take OSCP or GPEN they are somehow qualified to say they are a "hacker." Yet you put them in a situation where you pit them against a quality Blue Team person, they'll shut them down every single time. To this day, the #1 loss of monies or ID Theft is through phishing attempts. Easy to mass it out to thousands of people a day and there is a sucker born every minute.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000533760

Case in point. Old people are gullible.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
That is a huge part of it. Most people who try to get into Red Teams have very little knowledge of how networks and the infrastructure actually works. They think because they go take OSCP or GPEN they are somehow qualified to say they are a "hacker." Yet you put them in a situation where you pit them against a quality Blue Team person, they'll shut them down every single time. To this day, the #1 loss of monies or ID Theft is through phishing attempts. Easy to mass it out to thousands of people a day and there is a sucker born every minute.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000533760

Case in point. Old people are gullible.

A friend's Grandma had some guy remoted into her computer pretending to be from Microsoft, contacting her out of the blue saying they "detected a problem on her machine", said he found the problem but needed credit card information to resolve it. :facepalm:

Sucks that there are people out there preying on people like that :shakehead

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
As someone who used to wear a pretty big Grey Hat (emphasis on the *USED TO* part), I detest a lot of these idiots these days preying on stupid people

But I also sometimes find it hard to feel bad for people who take stupid to the next level

Yeah [insert family figure here], I am totally 100% sure that a Nigerian Prince willed you $1,000,000

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Sorry to flog a dead horse, but this makes me nerdgasm so hard lol

a movie based on something 20-30 years ago that is faithful to its source material?

color me shocked

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
A friend's Grandma had some guy remoted into her computer pretending to be from Microsoft, contacting her out of the blue saying they "detected a problem on her machine", said he found the problem but needed credit card information to resolve it. :facepalm:

Sucks that there are people out there preying on people like that :shakehead

Happens all the time sadly. It turns from greed to embarrassment that they get swindled and just hope if they keep paying it'll go away. That link I put up earlier started in ND. A farmer lady gave them close to $800k from her late husbands life insurance and essentially sold their entire farm to pay it. She claimed she kept doing it because she wanted to make them go away and she couldn't bare to tell her kids what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad