OT: General OT Thread #42: The Answer to the Ultimate Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I saw "Hitchhiker's Guide" was on HBO. So I turned in on and it was on the Deep Thought scene.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Still have never Seen Hitchhiker's Guide... :help:

Movie is OK, the visuals and puppets and all that are great, but they changed a lot of the character's and their motivations and such to try to make a traditional movie and I don't think those were any good changes.

The 1981 BBC TV adaptation, while now-a-days looks very dated and corny, is a much better visual version.

Books of course are great, and the original BBC radio series is on youtube which is also entertaining.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Movie is OK, the visuals and puppets and all that are great, but they changed a lot of the character's and their motivations and such to try to make a traditional movie and I don't think those were any good changes.

The 1981 BBC TV adaptation, while now-a-days looks very dated and corny, is a much better visual version.

Books of course are great, and the original BBC radio series is on youtube which is also entertaining.

Would the books still hold up today? Do they start slow?

I've considered reading the series a couple times, but I have a hard time reading unless the book grabs me right away.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Would the books still hold up today? Do they start slow?

I've considered reading the series a couple times, but I have a hard time reading unless the book grabs me right away.

I think the books still hold up well. The first few paragraphs pretty much lay out he humor and style of the book, so if these aren't entertaining to you you're not going to like the book.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

And so the problem remained; lots of the people were mean, and most of them were miserable, even the ones with digital watches.

Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that even the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have left the oceans.

And then, one Thursday, nearly two thousand years after one man had been nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change, one girl sitting on her own in a small cafe in Rickmansworth suddenly realized what it was that had been going wrong all this time, and she finally knew how the world could be made a good and happy place. This time it was right, it would work, and no one would have to get nailed to anything.

Sadly, however, before she could get to a phone to tell anyone about it, a terribly stupid catastrophe occurred, and the idea was lost forever.

This is not her story.

But it is the story of that terrible stupid catastrophe and some of its consequences.

It is also the story of a book, a book called The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - not an Earth book, never published on Earth, and until the terrible catastrophe occurred, never seen or heard of by any Earthman.

Nevertheless, a wholly remarkable book.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I didn't like the books, they bounced all over the place. It originally a BBC radio show, I think it lost something in the translation from an aural format to a written one (at lest for me).

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is pure awesomeness. Superbly funny and witty absurd humour galore. To this day, I have refused to watch the movie. There's no way it can rise to the level of Douglas Adams' writing and I don't want to pollute the characters and environments as I have imagined them.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I really hate apartment/home hunting. A lot.

I had to do it twice last summer. The first time was to find a new place to live in Milwaukee because I thought was staying there for grad school. After much frustration, I found the place of my dreams but then was offered the job of my dreams in Oklahoma. So I had to look for places to live in OK, instead. Luckily, I hadn't signed a lease yet on the place in Milwaukee.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Same here. My sister enjoys it for some reason, so whenever I'm planning a move I subtly drop her a hint and she does all the legwork for me online. :laugh:

Oh man... is she busy right now? :sarcasm:

It's a painful process. We like the apartment project where we're living currently, but with the new baby we just need more room, and since we can pay basically the same money for twice the space elsewhere...

The problem really is, we were hoping to find a duplex, but those are proving really hard to find in our price range and desired area(s). They pop up on Craigslist, but like 75% of the time they're scammers. It's pretty maddening. I wish there were a better way than just driving street by street through areas I'd be willing to live in, looking for "For Rent" signs.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I've never really had to seriously house/apartment hunt, but I can imagine it would be annoying.

Car shopping on the other hand, I've never really understood why people dislike it. I'm just starting to look into buying a new car, and I'm actually kind of excited to go out looking at new cars!

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I've never really had to seriously house/apartment hunt, but I can imagine it would be annoying.

Car shopping on the other hand, I've never really understood why people dislike it. I'm just starting to look into buying a new car, and I'm actually kind of excited to go out looking at new cars!

We just bought a car for my wife in January and we started out by going to a dealership to look at cars because she did not have one previously picked out. We went through several different vehicles before settling on the one we eventually bought and it ate up our entire weekend. We got the car we wanted, but then you sit there for hours signing paperwork and getting all the loan information straight (if you're using a loan to pay). By the time we left with the car, I remember being so annoyed by the situation that I just wanted to leave and I really didn't care how. We also have two kids we needed to get from my in-law's house, so I ran out of patience pretty quickly with the salesperson who tried to sell me the ridiculously expensive and short extended warranty and all the extra "protections" for the car. It was just a very exhausting and annoying experience as a whole and I'm very much glad that it's over.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
We just bought a car for my wife in January and we started out by going to a dealership to look at cars because she did not have one previously picked out. We went through several different vehicles before settling on the one we eventually bought and it ate up our entire weekend. We got the car we wanted, but then you sit there for hours signing paperwork and getting all the loan information straight (if you're using a loan to pay). By the time we left with the car, I remember being so annoyed by the situation that I just wanted to leave and I really didn't care how. We also have two kids we needed to get from my in-law's house, so I ran out of patience pretty quickly with the salesperson who tried to sell me the ridiculously expensive and short extended warranty and all the extra "protections" for the car. It was just a very exhausting and annoying experience as a whole and I'm very much glad that it's over.

Yeah, I guess you have to separate the experience of new car shopping and new car buying, haha. The shopping part, I think is fun. The buying part, you're right, it's pretty bad :laugh:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Yeah, I guess you have to separate the experience of new car shopping and new car buying, haha. The shopping part, I think is fun. The buying part, you're right, it's pretty bad :laugh:

When it comes to finding a place to live, I have a similar issues. I get quite addicted to browsing on Zillow for houses, but since we can't currently buy one and have to spend at least another year renting, that's far enough off that it's not "real" yet, and hence not annoying. When it comes to needing a new apartment/duplex/whatever BY JUNE 1ST and sifting through all the ******** listings, weird stipulations, and general lack of understanding about what's available in a given area (even though we live in the future and that shouldn't be too hard to find out), I get incredibly frustrated ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad