OT: General OT Thread #42: The Answer to the Ultimate Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Pet peeve: stop putting salt in my chocolate and caramel! Seriously, all this "salted chocolate" and "salted caramel" candy doesn't make the chocolate taste better. It's gross. :rant:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Pet peeve: stop putting salt in my chocolate and caramel! Seriously, all this "salted chocolate" and "salted caramel" candy doesn't make the chocolate taste better. It's gross. :rant:

I'm with you there. I get the whole "salty and savory" thing, and it works for like trail mix with peanuts/m&m's, but just straight salt on my chocolate? Yuck.

Hugart

Dec 23, 2016
Most things taste better with salt. It's almost like bacon which is delicious because it's salty (and fatty ofc), and bacon goes with anything. Is there anything that will taste worse with bacon? I don't think so.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I agree the "salted caramel" fad is getting a little old, but it's still pretty good in the right usages. A bakery by our house makes salted caramel cookies that will make you swear off eating healthy forever.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Chocolate does not taste better with salt.

It just tastes saltier. That's not an improvement.

Anyhoo, waiting for the last part I need to begin construction of my computer. Supposed to be here today. Then the fun begins.

Also starting to watch Mr. Robot. This ***** intense.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Mr. Robot rules. Americans starting back up this week too (was on Tuesday I think). One of my favorite shows.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Salt on chocolate is ****ing delicious. Especially those fancy confectionery.

images%5Cgift_chocolates.jpg

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I've heard horror stories of Finnish/Swedish candy. Y'all need to take it easy on the salt. :laugh:

Dude. Salmiakki is awesome. No, seriously, try it. And this comes from someone who cannot stand salt in chocolate.

Salmiakki, however, is salty in and as itself. It has a strong taste which lingers in your mouth for a while. Not a bad thing, mind you, not at all. Nothing to do with chocolate, either, apart from the crazy fools who are now putting salmiakki in chocolate. That's... not a very good idea.

Hugart

Dec 23, 2016
Now that we are on the salt subject. Does anyone in here use chew/dip/snuff/snus? Or is that more of a southern thing? Because I noticed when I was in US last summer that all tobacco was sweet. I could only bring so much of my own salty Swedish snus, so I had to use the sugary stuff that the stores offered. It was terrible.

I'm planning a new trip so I wonder if there's a non-sweet alternative to be found or if I have to smuggle in more snus than I'm allowed.

I know that some places sell Swedish snus but all the stores I found sold snus that was old, dry and unusable. If you know about any salty (or non-sweet) American tobacco, please let me know.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Now that we are on the salt subject. Does anyone in here use chew/dip/snuff/snus? Or is that more of a southern thing? Because I noticed when I was in US last summer that all tobacco was sweet. I could only bring so much of my own salty Swedish snus, so I had to use the sugary stuff that the stores offered. It was terrible.

I'm planning a new trip so I wonder if there's a non-sweet alternative to be found or if I have to smuggle in more snus than I'm allowed.

I know that some places sell Swedish snus but all the stores I found sold snus that was old, dry and unusable. If you know about any salty (or non-sweet) American tobacco, please let me know.

I used to dip a ton when I played baseball.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Wanted to take my 5yo out to DC for Tuesday's game which it's also the Mom's b-day. Free museums and all the capitol stuff, a lot of fun. They're predicting around a foot of snow Monday into Tuesday! Just my luck! Really hoping the game gets postponed.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wanted to take my 5yo out to DC for Tuesday's game which it's also the Mom's b-day. Free museums and all the capitol stuff, a lot of fun. They're predicting around a foot of snow Monday into Tuesday! Just my luck! Really hoping the game gets postponed.

DC has so many things to do, we're planning on taking the kid there this summer for a week. With a fresh snow DC is very pretty. Getting around isn't too bad once you're there, the Metro system is good.

You're a braver man than me taking a 5yo, guessing in a marshmallow suit because of the snow, for all the walking and crowds. But we had to have our kid on a leash when she was that age. She'd run off to whatever was shiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad