Prospect Info: General Discussion of Prospects

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Does anyone have a good read on how Laaksonnen has been this year. I confess to not checking a thing since last year. But it would be awesome if he hit.

Every time I have looked in, he's been hurt. Ilves changed coaches early in the year too. It's been a more trying season, certainly.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
From the pre-season games, he didn't stand out. His deal was such that it was NHL or Liiga and he didn't show enough in camp to point to being up.

Thinking about it now, would anyone be surprised if Arttu and Davidsson both get a look at the end of this year after their playoffs are over? As in, if they can jettison all the UFA-to-be's, they bring over the offshore crew for some time on the Isles of Misfit Toys line to see what they can do at the NHL level?

Reactions: Der Jaeger

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Thinking about it now, would anyone be surprised if Arttu and Davidsson both get a look at the end of this year after their playoffs are over? As in, if they can jettison all the UFA-to-be's, they bring over the offshore crew for some time on the Isles of Misfit Toys line to see what they can do at the NHL level?

That seems too outside the box and efficient for botts.

Too bad for Laaksonnen. Hope he gets it going in the second half.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That seems too outside the box and efficient for botts.

Too bad for Laaksonnen. Hope he gets it going in the second half.

Second half? Ilves only has 15 games left in their season. Playoffs start in mid-March.

It may just be reinforcements for Rochester which isn't unusual. Also, Lassi Thomson has happened and he's getting time that Oskari may have gotten previously. Laaksonen still needs to get bigger/stronger/meatier.

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Second half? Ilves only has 15 games left in their season. Playoffs start in mid-March.

It may just be reinforcements for Rochester which isn't unusual. Also, Lassi Thomson has happened and he's getting time that Oskari may have gotten previously. Laaksonen still needs to get bigger/stronger/meatier.

I always forget the season length is more reasonable in Europe.

So he is still like 165 lbs?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Here is Suter the other day, playing for ol' friend Gronberg with Ziln:

He was good in the OHL, had a PTO with the Islanders for a rookie tournament and went to a Sens dev camp.

Others to look at? Jerry Turkulainen (still) is small and puck talented:

Julius Nättinen is ripping the Liiga a new one and is UFA because Anaheim terminated his deal:(Feel free to mute the music, it's a recent bit of his highlights from Liiga):

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
BC-BU in the second Beanpot game just wound up all tied up. BU scored a pair in about 90 seconds mid-way through the 3rd to knot it up at 3.

I had forgotten that BC's Julius Mattila played with Arttu Ruotsalainen in the U20's and was Arttu's center in that tourney. Just a thing... and he's a senior UDFA.

Never mind, BU scores to go up 4-3 with just under 2 minutes to go.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
checking in on Ryan Johnson's season like

200.webp

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
It was very upsetting at the time, and still is.
honestly makes no f***ing sense why load up on defence, just to draft more defence wtf are you trying to do ?

We have a young d core

Joki dahlin
borgen risto montour
bryson sameulsson pilut

hmm who do we have after eichel sam and skinner ? oh just cozens, yeah that'll do

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
What's happening to the program at the University of Minnesota? It seems like it's been in decline that started in 2017-18 with Mittelstadt. I know they changed coaches, but they still had Lucia when Mitts was there.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
What's happening to the program at the University of Minnesota? It seems like it's been in decline that started in 2017-18 with Mittelstadt. I know they changed coaches, but they still had Lucia when Mitts was there.
Maybe Mitts is the anti-Midas......everything he touches turns to crap.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

They are on a quality winning streak now in Motzko’s second season. Lucia had assembled a pretty meh roster by the end of his tenure. Bob of course built and guided the St Cloud program to years of dominance and it is starting to round into form.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

They were starting to decline even before Mitts. The competition level jumped up in a big way for the last decade. Several also rans in Minnesota, like Mankato, Bemijdi and a few other schools built up their programs. More high end guys started going chl routes or other schools that in previous generations would have been locks to ve Gophers.

They haven't had a truly high end kid since Wheeler, Vanek, Kessel, Johnson hay days of the mid aughts.

Granted Mitts was a top ten pick, but he wasn't a great ncaa player and didn't have a lot of good players around him on that team.

They will bounce back with the right recruiter.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
They were starting to decline even before Mitts. The competition level jumped up in a big way for the last decade. Several also rans in Minnesota, like Mankato, Bemijdi and a few other schools built up their programs. More high end guys started going chl routes or other schools that in previous generations would have been locks to ve Gophers.

They haven't had a truly high end kid since Wheeler, Vanek, Kessel, Johnson hay days of the mid aughts.

Granted Mitts was a top ten pick, but he wasn't a great ncaa player and didn't have a lot of good players around him on that team.

They will bounce back with the right recruiter.

Would've been if they'd kept him there as long as they should have, but alas.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Would've been if they'd kept him there as long as they should have, but alas.

I would hope so too, given his hands.

But based on his physical preparation in what would be his sophomore year if he stayed in school, I'm not sure that he would have had a substantially better season.

I'm not sure if Mitts has the discipline to improve his physique or he just doesn't have enough internal athleticism to put his reasonably good hands to productive use.

I'm hoping they turn him into playmaking wing for Eichel and move Reinhart.

If Mitts could get an extra step bor two, he has the hands to finish some Eichel setups.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00