General COVID-19 Talk #4 MOD Warning

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Here's to hoping it's just the flu, or if it's not your symptoms remain mild.
Thanks. So far so good. Very tired and my respiratory system feels pretty inflamed but I’m doing ok. My partner is suffering a bit more than me, but she’s doing ok too. My test arrives by courier tomorrow, so I should know for certain by Wednesday. Having to isolate on my own in the worst bit. She’s with her young kids and my 2 are adults, so need to stay away.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Thanks. So far so good. Very tired and my respiratory system feels pretty inflamed but I’m doing ok. My partner is suffering a bit more than me, but she’s doing ok too. My test arrives by courier tomorrow, so I should know for certain by Wednesday. Having to isolate on my own in the worst bit. She’s with her young kids and my 2 are adults, so need to stay away.
Ugh. Hoping for the best!

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
2020 wants to kick us in the nutz one more time before the clock runs out...

UK spawns a COVID strain that is 70% more virulent.

New coronavirus variant: What do we know?
...and the potential good news from the article:

Will the vaccines work against the new variant?

Almost certainly yes, or at least for now.
All three leading vaccines develop an immune response against the existing spike, which is why the question comes up.
Vaccines train the immune system to attack several different parts of the virus, so even though part of the spike has mutated, the vaccines should still work.

Token

May 15, 2019
...and the potential good news from the article:

Will the vaccines work against the new variant?

Almost certainly yes, or at least for now.
All three leading vaccines develop an immune response against the existing spike, which is why the question comes up.
Vaccines train the immune system to attack several different parts of the virus, so even though part of the spike has mutated, the vaccines should still work.
Yeah, but at current production rates, that’s good for maybe August next year, once we vaccinate the 160 million “vulnerable” in the US, maybe I get a crack at a jab sometimes before next winter kicks in.

The article also states that once a few mutations stack we get into the danger zone of needing new vaccines. Plenty time for that to happen in the world before we develop any semblance of resistance to this bug, as a global population.

Reactions: Papa Mocha 15

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah, but at current production rates, that’s good for maybe August next year, once we vaccinate the 160 million “vulnerable” in the US, maybe I get a crack at a jab sometimes before next winter kicks in.

The article also states that once a few mutations stack we get into the danger zone of needing new vaccines. Plenty time for that to happen in the world before we develop any semblance of resistance to this bug, as a global population.
We will have to see how the spikes mutate in the future. The prevention with the current vaccine is based on preventing the spikes from attaching to your cells.

Token

May 15, 2019
We will have to see how the spikes mutate in the future. The prevention with the current vaccine is based on preventing the spikes from attaching to your cells.
Which is also why we have other vaccine types in development. Some DNA based, others attenuated virus. Yeah, we got some tools but it still is a race with a mutating bug for sure.

It will be a longer ride than most people anticipate based on how this is covered in popular media.

Dooney

Jan 12, 2005
On the move
Got my vaccine and really no side effects so far. It's been 30 hours. Arm was tender for about 6 hours but that was it. Getting the injection didn't hurt at all, flu shot burns more. Really no complaints for those that are worried about it. Get my 2nd in 3 weeks. Pfizer.

People just can't stop getting together in restaurants and at home and our economy and jobs are paying the price. If it gets worse, then crisis management kicks in and that's different than activating surge protocols which is what is encouraged right now (breaking ratios, field hospitals etc). There is a more horrible reality to come if this gets worse.

You guys are the front line, health care workers are the end of the line. Stay safe. Have a good XMAS.

Good to hear! It’s so sad to hear that my home state is in such bad shape.
I had to get COVID tested today as my son tested positive on Thursday and I see him daily for help around the house since I broke my leg last May with 2 ORIF last one in October for non union. I am a RN as well.
Right now I am undecided about getting the vaccine though.
I am posting a link for you all to take a look at. I saw this on FB. Look closely at the syringe. This has nothing to do with my decision though. Just mind blowing IMO.
Stay safe my friends.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
man does that video ever piss me off. i dug for more because that was so ridiculous and i saw him whiff the plunger on another patient before (thankfully) realizing he did. slap the biggest bozo you got in front of the cameras when conspiracy theorists are looking for anything they can?

that's just an unacceptable mistake to make. that guy literally got sent away without the vaccine, with a false sense of security, potentially into patients had it not been caught on camera.. you fill the syringe and you empty the syringe into an arm. you just can't make that mistake.

not even mentioning how this seems to be a trend with every hospital, nursing home, clinic, etc. pile a bunch of photographers from who knows where into a room to put on the show.. cause clearly, seeing that they didn't drop dead instantly will ease joe blow's concerns about the vaccine's safety.. woohoo we're all safe now!

media is cancer, i'm going to bed.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Stay strong. Stay in contact with your MD. Best of luck.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Good to hear! It’s so sad to hear that my home state is in such bad shape.
I had to get COVID tested today as my son tested positive on Thursday and I see him daily for help around the house since I broke my leg last May with 2 ORIF last one in October for non union. I am a RN as well.
Right now I am undecided about getting the vaccine though.
I am posting a link for you all to take a look at. I saw this on FB. Look closely at the syringe. This has nothing to do with my decision though. Just mind blowing IMO.
Stay safe my friends.

Wow a double ORIF. That's impressive! Hope you mend well. That vid....(shrug).

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
upload_2020-12-21_13-5-24.png

There has to be a mistake in the tests reported metric

So vs Fri- Hosp up from 1557 and ICU up from 358

Rolling 7 day
Rolling 7 day

Mon:2
Sun:15
Sat:26
Fri:3
Thu:13
Wed: 23
Tues:1

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Sandy Cortez received her vaccine today. At 31 years of age she was considered to be essential and in need of it. Give the girl credit she never misses an opportunity to take self-aggrandizing selfie, and post it on social media.

338b5e06f1586163bc645b18bec57099

Tulsi Gabbard commented on the decision by the members of the CDC, which allows "essential" workers like Sandy to receive the vaccine before your 70-year old+ parent or grandparent gets it.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Unfortunately, I have been struck by covid. It blows. Luckily I'm 28 so it won't be long until I'm clear. But yeah, no fun.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Unfortunately, I have been struck by covid. It blows. Luckily I'm 28 so it won't be long until I'm clear. But yeah, no fun.

Myself and my whole family, too.

Been a bit of a roller coaster so far. Feeling pretty good today after a fever of 104 last night. Fortunately don't really have any of the other symptoms, just the aches that come with a fever.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sandy Cortez received her vaccine today. At 31 years of age she was considered to be essential and in need of it. Give the girl credit she never misses an opportunity to take self-aggrandizing selfie, and post it on social media.

338b5e06f1586163bc645b18bec57099

Tulsi Gabbard commented on the decision by the members of the CDC, which allows "essential" workers like Sandy to receive the vaccine before your 70-year old+ parent or grandparent gets it.

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F200304183027-01-gaetz-coronavirus-gas-mask.jpg

Reactions: tbrown33

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Myself and my whole family, too.

Been a bit of a roller coaster so far. Feeling pretty good today after a fever of 104 last night. Fortunately don't really have any of the other symptoms, just the aches that come with a fever.

Get well guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad