General COVID-19 Talk #4 MOD Warning

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
No, they've been under the most severe requested lockdowns, what people are actually doing is very clearly not following those, as evidenced by your hero there.

We had Major Williams canvassing here locally and he might as well have personally coughed on our entirely purple city. You would have thought from footage it was the Midwest, or Huntington Beach, not a hardcore lockdown Southern California city. This goes back to the people complaining about lockdowns avoiding the lockdowns and any semblance of protection then complaining about further lockdowns and PPE. If you didn't observe it in the first place, you can't complain about the results. You saw the Black Friday footage.

Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. I wouldn't trust that f***ing knucklehead to report accurately, anyway.
I follow some distant cousins in their early 20's on Instagram that are out every single day for lunch & dinner & drinks, maskless, in New York City proper. And yeah, I wouldn't trust that f***ing clown to wash his own beard.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
upload_2020-12-17_13-57-33.png

tenor.gif

13.47% positives today
Hosp up from 1486 and ICU up from 319

Rolling 7 day
Thu:13
Wed: 23
Tues:1
Mon: 0
Sun: 14
Sat: 18
Fri:22

Average is 13 up from 12.14 yesterday

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It has much less to do with the actual location as it does with taking the proper precautions. The worst thing about the idiot in the above video is he doesn't seem to understand that opening a gym is miles away from opening a gym and requiring proper masks and protection. They are both exclusive. You will find a lot of studies commissioned by gym companies to say there is no spread, but you will also see the opposite. The truth is somewhere in between of course, and has everything to do with PPE.

There is a growing segment of data that are starting to align with the prediction that restaurants, gyms, and so on are hotbeds of spread. This one is a long read but seems really robust given their sample size and methodology:

Mobility network models of COVID-19 explain inequities and inform reopening | Nature

The TLDR version is that they used google mobility data and compared visits to points of interest. The data encompasses something like 5 billion hours with half a million POI's. So it's well beyond a robust set, not like one of these 5,000 people studies put out by businesses. And it's going to be unbiased as there is no human element with interpretation and such, cell phone data doesn't lie, it just is. Their findings are twofold. First, there is a solid correlation that highly suggests that places like restaurants, gyms, shopping malls, and so on were superspreader locations back in the spring when COVID was first labeled a pandemic. This is unsurprising. Second, the data showed a very strong correlation with demographics related to income. Using gyms as an example, far more spread was seen at places like 24 hr fitness compared to a place like Orange Theory. This makes sense as well - you have far more people crowded together in Wal-Marts that at Restoration Hardware.

The biggest thing to note is that this pertains to the Spring, when many weren't wearing masks. It clearly points out that any location with a group of people indoors in close quarters is going to result in substantial spread if they aren't wearing PPE. I'm of the opinion that places like restaurants, gyms, and even movie theaters are not any more dangerous than a store, it's all about enforcing mask policies. Movie theaters are dark, for example, so how do you ensure it? How do you ensure a restaurant owner who is up against the wall financially will require them? The gym guy in the video is doing far more harm than good by promoting the impression that gym owners are a bunch of brainless meatheads. It ruins it for the places who are being responsible because they all get lumped in together.

There's a reason we are seeing a spike right now, and it's not because of any particular place that is opening up. It's pandemic fatigue. I'm in a closed classroom with students all day and we've have had zero spread here, all cases have been from off campus incidents. It's because we enforce PPE policies fanatically.
I agree with your point regarding the precautions which should be taken. My point has always been places like gyms, barbershops, and restaurants are not where most of the spread is taking place. However, these types of businesses seem to be the favorite targets of politicians despite the lack of evidence.

The virus is spreading in crowded work and living environments where people are coming in close contact with an infected person for more than just a few minutes. Put the resources to work in controlling the spread where it will do the most good.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree with your point regarding the precautions which should be taken. My point has always been places like gyms, barbershops, and restaurants are not where most of the spread is taking place. However, these types of businesses seem to be the favorite targets of politicians despite the lack of evidence.

The virus is spreading in crowded work and living environments where people are coming in close contact with an infected person for more than just a few minutes. Put the resources to work in controlling the spread where it will do the most good.

I agree with this whole thread of thought but the point is you can only lead a horse to water. But the horse is sick of your shit and is now kicking instead.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Is the lockdown important to prevent the COVID-19 pandemic? Effects on psychology, environment and economy-perspective

There you go.

This is not contentious science anywhere outside right wing media and economy hawks. The great failure of America is not in lockdowns, but in her refusal to compensate tax paying Americans for shutting down their businesses in compliance. What good is the state if it cannot provide for its people during a crisis? Brb I'll answer that in a second spending billions on drone strike programs in the middle east.

Perfect example right here. Not only is government not helping, they’re turning the f***ing screws.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

county said they're not going to enforce anything on restaurants as a result, really mixed signals but i guess it's just them being hands off and abiding by the legal precedent.. strange situation, abnormal for the county imo. i'm sure this is gonna be the case for a couple days then something will come down from the state and there will be more jerking around

suffice to say it's not exactly a good time for all this, but the courts operate on their own time

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
L.A. May Issue Countywide Emergency Order, Strict Measures, Says Mayor – Deadline

I guess LA County is now ground zero of new cases

And the LA Mayor's daughter has Covid
there are a lot of questions of the role that the fan celebrations played in the Lakers and Dodgers winning

Today's numbers

upload_2020-12-18_13-3-53.png

2nd day in a row under 3k, that is a positive

12.3 % positive tests today

Hosp and ICU still climbing. Hosp was 1519 yesterday and ICU was 343

Rolling 7 day
Fri:3

a 3 replaced a 22 so a nice drop to 10.28 from, 13 yesterday

Token

May 15, 2019
there are a lot of questions of the role that the fan celebrations played in the Lakers and Dodgers winning

Today's numbers

View attachment 379464
2nd day in a row under 3k, that is a positive

12.3 % positive tests today

Hosp and ICU still climbing. Hosp was 1519 yesterday and ICU was 343

Rolling 7 day
Fri:3

a 3 replaced a 22 so a nice drop to 10.28 from, 13 yesterday
Do you know the total # of certified ICU beds in the county?

Mine is easy; we got 8 total for 70K population.

Just curious, don’t burn cycles if it’s a burden.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Do you know the total # of certified ICU beds in the county?

Mine is easy; we got 8 total for 70K population.

Just curious, don’t burn cycles if it’s a burden.
I don't

I also know that they put emergency surge protocol in effect. I think 4 or 5 of the mobile field ICUs

Covid Act now says 79% used

upload_2020-12-18_14-37-38.png

Reactions: Token

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Perfect example right here. Not only is government not helping, they’re turning the f***ing screws.

City employees gotta eat too. The question of Barbara Ferrer's salary and whether she would take a cut in pay during the pandemic was asked early on by Steve Gregory of KFI news and she was appalled he was ask such a question. Which shows how out of the loop politicians are, they expect the masses to feel the pain, but they are doing us a "service" so therefore full pay.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
There’s a good chance my partner and I have it, likely picked up from one of the kids who have been in school. Been advised to completely isolate until we can get a test. My symptoms are very mild so far, my partners symptoms are like a proper ‘flu so hopefully that’s what we have.

Apart from the kids being in school, as they are required to be, we’ve been very sensible. Frustrating to say the least...

Token

May 15, 2019
There’s a good chance my partner and I have it, likely picked up from one of the kids who have been in school. Been advised to completely isolate until we can get a test. My symptoms are very mild so far, my partners symptoms are like a proper ‘flu so hopefully that’s what we have.

Apart from the kids being in school, as they are required to be, we’ve been very sensible. Frustrating to say the least...
Big hug brother! Take the time, fight the f***er. Get through it strong!

Reactions: Statto

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles

Sorry to hear Statto

Reactions: Statto

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

I'm sure it didn't help but that was over a month ago at this point, not sure it has much bearing on what's happening today.

Here's to hoping it's just the flu, or if it's not your symptoms remain mild.

Senator Pecker had no problem with the deficit when it was a trillion dollar tax cut for his buddies.

Reactions: jfont

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
It absolutely does
They got infected and spread it

Halloween a few nights later too, then Thanksgiving a few weeks after that. People would have had to be even more careful than they were because of the potential, but the opposite happened.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Got my vaccine and really no side effects so far. It's been 30 hours. Arm was tender for about 6 hours but that was it. Getting the injection didn't hurt at all, flu shot burns more. Really no complaints for those that are worried about it. Get my 2nd in 3 weeks. Pfizer.

People just can't stop getting together in restaurants and at home and our economy and jobs are paying the price. If it gets worse, then crisis management kicks in and that's different than activating surge protocols which is what is encouraged right now (breaking ratios, field hospitals etc). There is a more horrible reality to come if this gets worse.

You guys are the front line, health care workers are the end of the line. Stay safe. Have a good XMAS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad