General COVID-19 Talk #4 MOD Warning

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I don't really pay close attention to this stuff.

I really thought that when the vaccinations started rolling out this was going to be over.

It's depressing seeing that even vaccinated people are getting infected with the new variant now.
It is a very small percentage though

I lifted this off the main Covid thread

upload_2021-8-5_8-54-59.png

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't really pay close attention to this stuff.

I really thought that when the vaccinations started rolling out this was going to be over.

It's depressing seeing that even vaccinated people are getting infected with the new variant now.
The media seems to be incapable of reporting any raw data on vaccinated people. The numbers regarding vaccinated people are great news.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not a doctor but I play one on this board, but it feels like vaccinated cases are sort of like when you get the flu after the flu shot. It happens, but it's relatively minor sickness in most cases.

When I was a teacher (read: dealing with snotty sniffly kids every winter) I got the flu shot every year and I still got 'sick' but it was usually just a bad cold. Once, I had like a 24 hour fever, and that was it. The one year I DIDNT get the flu booster I had a bad, bad week. That seems to be equivalent to 'most' vaccinated covid cases.

The problem in this case worth watching of course is unvaccinated kids going back to school with this crazy variant that allegedly is as contagious as chickenpox. I sense we're gonna get a lot of quarantines--the plus is if a school site has to swap to distance learning for a month or something we're as prepared as can be from last year. The plus side is California has a high vaccination rate and you can see how we're doing vs. some other states that don't...so here's hoping that we're near-ish herd immunity enough that we don't have any further severe blowups.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
felt like the media was running with this breakthrough thing, those numbers don't seem to support the doom & gloom.. typical i guess
The Media...where do we even start.....

Louisiana and Florida are in trouble though.

upload_2021-8-5_9-36-55.png

Where we go from here is really the question.

Some are saying that this variant peaks really quick and disappears
upload_2021-8-5_9-47-38.png

The other question on this whole thing that I have is, are we better off having this spike now, so we don't have as bad of a winter?

(This is why I drink....)

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Not a doctor but I play one on this board, but it feels like vaccinated cases are sort of like when you get the flu after the flu shot. It happens, but it's relatively minor sickness in most cases.

When I was a teacher (read: dealing with snotty sniffly kids every winter) I got the flu shot every year and I still got 'sick' but it was usually just a bad cold. Once, I had like a 24 hour fever, and that was it. The one year I DIDNT get the flu booster I had a bad, bad week. That seems to be equivalent to 'most' vaccinated covid cases.

The problem in this case worth watching of course is unvaccinated kids going back to school with this crazy variant that allegedly is as contagious as chickenpox. I sense we're gonna get a lot of quarantines--the plus is if a school site has to swap to distance learning for a month or something we're as prepared as can be from last year. The plus side is California has a high vaccination rate and you can see how we're doing vs. some other states that don't...so here's hoping that we're near-ish herd immunity enough that we don't have any further severe blowups.

X1lQgALfFduIL-QWpAyPxRtksvA6WIqH2xk_BZlKd7KKVz9K9FKdavanmootsxQA-9_V_0S8p8cBDyzrKh22NY4rO__X-HWU9rgnG7P72VDGhwByFlQ3fQ9W0FLFWMrnTJGAMhnqmqHWygHzqMHpikIysvwDUeEC1rw

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

With out getting political ...... I don't think with this current recall that our Governor can do another shutdown unless it gets WAY worse...... the election is 9/14 BTW

If things progress as they are without an exponential increase, I think our only shutdown would be federally mandated and things would have to get way worse.
^^^ This is only for this summer though. Winter is going to be a whole different ball game

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
upload_2021-8-5_10-24-46.png

Super high cases, but if we average today and yesterday (which was super low) , we get 434.5 a day

Another big jump in hosp from 375 yesterday, but ICU only went up 1.

Hopefully this is a sign that these cases aren't getting as serious as before.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Token

May 15, 2019
With out getting political ...... I don't think with this current recall that our Governor can do another shutdown unless it gets WAY worse...... the election is 9/14 BTW

If things progress as they are without an exponential increase, I think our only shutdown would be federally mandated and things would have to get way worse.
^^^ This is only for this summer though. Winter is going to be a whole different ball game
You seriously underestimate the SF Bay Area’s ability to overreact.

They don’t need Uncle Gavin to go full loose cannon.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
You seriously underestimate the SF Bay Area’s ability to overreact.

They don’t need Uncle Gavin to go full loose cannon.
Indeed and no disputing that.

I was talking statewide. County wide is an absolute possibility. Especially considering that the Bay Area was the 1st to shut down, even before CA did.

LA is possible. I don't think OC, SB , Riverside, or SD do unless it gets REALLY bad

The other factor to think about with shutdowns is that we are still doing better than we were last summer with ZERO restrictions.
We were worse off last summer without travel, amusement parks, sports, restaurants, grocery stores without capacity, etc.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Where we go from here is really the question.

Some are saying that this variant peaks really quick and disappears
View attachment 459465

It would make sense, given how fast it burns through the population. There aren't any lockdowns and people are enjoying their summers--this is full-frontal exposure, baby.

I don't mean shutdowns--I just mean local classrooms. IE if a school were to have incidents, I imagine they'd adjourn for a few weeks.

Even Fauci has said shutdowns aren't gonna happen at this point and he's the picture of caution. Pair that with the above numbers and I think we can feel pretty comfortable with what's working even if proceeding with caution (ie LA county asking for masks indoors).

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
It would make sense, given how fast it burns through the population. There aren't any lockdowns and people are enjoying their summers--this is full-frontal exposure, baby.

I don't mean shutdowns--I just mean local classrooms. IE if a school were to have incidents, I imagine they'd adjourn for a few weeks.

Even Fauci has said shutdowns aren't gonna happen at this point and he's the picture of caution. Pair that with the above numbers and I think we can feel pretty comfortable with what's working even if proceeding with caution (ie LA county asking for masks indoors).
Whoops..

yeah that could definitely happen. I could see a 10-14 day shutdown if there were a bad outbreak, like they did with businesses

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

In the last 4 weeks, case rates of the fully vaxxed have climbed from just under 1 to 6.1 per 100K.

In the last 4 weeks, case rates of the unvaxxed have claimed from 5.3 to 35 per 100K.

It's of interest that the case rates of vaxxed folks appear to be leveling off. Could be their more cautious behavior, or it could be that the virus is having a harder time getting a foothold in their bodies.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

In the last 4 weeks, case rates of the fully vaxxed have climbed from just under 1 to 6.1 per 100K.

In the last 4 weeks, case rates of the unvaxxed have claimed from 5.3 to 35 per 100K.

It's of interest that the case rates of vaxxed folks appear to be leveling off. Could be their more cautious behavior, or it could be that the virus is having a harder time getting a foothold in their bodies.

Thanks for posting this because I had also read that the less than 1 number was old news from before the variant surge. Even if we want to hedge that vaccinated are more cautious (I am vaccinated but I am not cautious), the gap in case-rate-per-100K would still be large enough to make it pretty clear that getting vaccinated is the right call.

Of course, the fact that it is rising to 6 out of 100,000 is just more fuel for those anti-vaxx advocates to not get it since "it doesn't work".

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I have to go see my PO today, so I gots to go.

OC hasn't updated their website yet, but this guy on Facebook gets them early.

He is that the hosp rate jumps from 409 to 454 today (ouch)and ICU grew but much more slowly.

Have a good weekend and fingers crossed that I get my ankle bracelet off

Edit- here are the numbers
upload_2021-8-9_9-22-57.png

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The Media...where do we even start.....

Louisiana and Florida are in trouble though.

South Dakota has the lowest risk of any state in the nation. Apparently, they didn't take Sturgis into account. That could end up a shitstorm of epic proportions. I'm pretty sure those folks aren't strapping their mask on to run into the grocery store to get some milk for the kiddos.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Taking it slightly off topic, I'm lucky enough to live in Australia which hasnt really been affected by Covid until now. Deltas snuck in and where up to 400 cases a day with a full lockdown and still rising. Since your country has been through this, how does this play out? Our 2 dose vaccination rate is a 22% and one dose at 50% with the government pushing hard for a 70% 2 dose target within 3 months.

Once the vaccination rate is high and everything re opens, does covid just run rampant through the unvaccinated population? Are the vaccinated highly immune or do they still have to live with caution?

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Taking it slightly off topic, I'm lucky enough to live in Australia which hasnt really been affected by Covid until now. Deltas snuck in and where up to 400 cases a day with a full lockdown and still rising. Since your country has been through this, how does this play out? Our 2 dose vaccination rate is a 22% and one dose at 50% with the government pushing hard for a 70% 2 dose target within 3 months.

Once the vaccination rate is high and everything re opens, does covid just run rampant through the unvaccinated population? Are the vaccinated highly immune or do they still have to live with caution?
Vaccines should prevent a trip to the hospital or death. If community transmission is high, stick to wearing a mask inside or when around a lot of people. Continue to wash your hands.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
South Dakota has the lowest risk of any state in the nation. Apparently, they didn't take Sturgis into account. That could end up a shitstorm of epic proportions. I'm pretty sure those folks aren't strapping their mask on to run into the grocery store to get some milk for the kiddos.

One of the biggest problems with tourist spots in this whole thing, imo. If you have an outbreak, no way people are tracking it locally nor across state lines.

Same worry I've always had about Vegas, Disney World, and the like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad