Confirmed with Link: Gemel Smith - Waived by Boston 12/18

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
@Sheppy This is not a dig. I'm legitimately curious here. Did you confuse him with his brother because I believe Givani plays a heavier game. I've seen you mention that you've liked Gemel's game a few times.

I know nothing about Gemel besides what I've read here and scouting reports online. He does look like he will drop the gloves, but is not a big guy. Definitely comes across as a better 4th line option than Acciari if you're looking for production.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
I think this player might turn into a fan favorite if all works out right. He is extremely fast, an agitator and fights. He may actually give this team some life..

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
@Sheppy This is not a dig. I'm legitimately curious here. Did you confuse him with his brother because I believe Givani plays a heavier game. I've seen you mention that you've liked Gemel's game a few times.
Nope, I've watched them both. Givani is definitely the more physical of the two, and bigger. I've watched Gemel for a while, first noticed him at the world juniors. He was fast, kind of agitating type player. Definitely lots of energy from him. Seemed like a good kid, too. The team loved him.

Saw him play in Calgary last year when I went to an Calgary/Stars game and he showed some good speed out there.

He's not a frequent fighter, but doesn't look lost with his gloves off.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
You and I will be extremely happy with this kid. AND IF YOU AND I ARE HAPPY, EVERY ONE HERE WILL BE

Ummm, Dom, I think that's his brother Givani. Would we be happier with his brother? Is that what you are trying to tell us? Seem appropriate given the way this season has gone.....

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Ummm, Dom, I think that's his brother Givani. Would we be happier with his brother? Is that what you are trying to tell us? Seem appropriate given the way this season has gone.....

I posted the wrong pic. Already stated that. I like the pickup. I think many of you will. He'll put up some points on the 4th line. Can fill in on the third in a pinch.

It's baby steps. Improving the 4th line wasn't the most important thing on the Bruins agenda. But this was an opportunity to improve it without costing any assets. Management had to move on that.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
No harm in picking him up. The B's can waive him again once they are healthier or make a deal and I believe at that point DAL can reclaim him and send him down to the AHL without going through the waiver process again?
He is a forward they are healthy,other than Bergy and they definitely didn’t get him to replace him,first thing I thought when I saw the claimed someone was size and muscle,but apparently not.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He is a forward they are healthy,other than Bergy and they definitely didn’t get him to replace him,first thing I thought when I saw the claimed someone was size and muscle,but apparently not.

Really, they didn't pick up Smith to replace Bergeron?

He's a kid who has played center at the NHL level for the last couple of years. Other than Krejci and Kuraly, the B's don't have that with Bergeron out. Acciari, Nordstrom, Wagner are all W/C hybrids.

Reactions: TCB and LouJersey

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
I've watched almost every NHL game he has played in with Dallas. He is fast and has some grit. Outside of some flashes, he doesn't have much of a scoring touch. He's had his ice time drop quite a bit of late.

He got into the lineup on Dec 1 vs Vancouver but only saw about 3 minutes of ice time.

A lot of Stars fans are surprised he got claimed. I hope he does well in Boston.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I've watched almost every NHL game he has played in with Dallas. He is fast and has some grit. Outside of some flashes, he doesn't have much of a scoring touch. He's had his ice time drop quite a bit of late.

He got into the lineup on Dec 1 vs Vancouver but only saw about 3 minutes of ice time.

A lot of Stars fans are surprised he got claimed. I hope he does well in Boston.

Stars fans clearly underestimated the fetish that Bruins management have for forwards that bring their precious intangibles but lack this thing called talent.

Reactions: maxl7

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Well, a flash is better than what the rest of our bottom six has shown this season (maybe Heinen excepted) :laugh:

Reactions: Strafer

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Thanks for the input :)

Reactions: TrillMike

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

He's a kid who has played center at the NHL level for the last couple of years. Other than Krejci and Kuraly, the B's don't have that with Bergeron out. Acciari, Nordstrom, Wagner are all W/C hybrids.
It was sarcasm

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Is he a center in the NHL though (I ask I've never seen him play).

His face-off totals seem more like a winger who is Option A if the C gets tossed from the face-off circle than a guy playing a whole lot of C at the NHL level.

Face-offs per game

16/17 = 3.47
17/18 = 2.04
18/19 = 0.29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad