GDT: GDT Preseason game 5 Halifax Edition: Pens vs Aval..... What wait?! Why the Senators? We want Mack

I am:

• Excited for the game tonight

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Annoyed we arent playing the Avs

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Theres hockey?

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I also like how some people are so obsessed with Sullivan that they need to start bitching about him and his playoff record in a god damn pre-season game. I don't even like him but good god you people need some therapy.

I don't think this is the problem from L2 from what I've seen.

I fully agree with you about missing Zucker but I don't think not having Zucker is what will cause L2 to be bad if it's bad. That's going to fall on Geno's shoulders if that happens.

See I disagree with this. Zucker complimented Geno well. He did some of the dirty work and took some of the pressure from Geno with his wheels.
I don't think it should fall on Genos shoulders, at 37 he shouldn't be expected to carry a line. Still an elite player but we aren't setting him up for success if we are taking a player off of his line and saying Geno we need you to carry for 82 games.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think I'm really gonna even notice or care about wins, losses, or the standings until like January. :laugh:

We all know what this team is, what the individual players are, and where they're likely to be in the standings for most of the season.

I do hope they're at least enjoyable to watch on any given night. For real long stretches last season, it wasn't even worth keeping the game on for background noise. :laugh:

Yeah if you take out expectations for the team, they are absolutely more enjoyable than they were last year. It's just annoying to have expectations for this team and for them to consistently not hit them.

Adding Karlsson with what looks like an actually competent bottom-6 will make this team more enjoyable to watch, but it's still frustrating to see a team with this talent struggle in places that it shouldn't be struggling.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
See I disagree with this. Zucker complimented Geno well. He did some of the dirty work and took some of the pressure from Geno with his wheels.
I don't think it should fall on Genos shoulders, at 37 he shouldn't be expected to carry a line. Still and elite player but we aren't setting him up for success if we are taking a player off of his line and saying Geno we need you to carry for 82 games.

I don't think this logic follows. If Malkin is an elite player he absolutely should be able to carry a 2nd line, especially while playing with likely 2 of Smith, Rakell and Rust.

You are right in that it looks like it's going to be more challenging without Zucker, but there are still pieces there that should yield a 2nd line. If they can't make a 2nd line of say Smith-Malkin-Rust work, there are some serious problems there because that line should work.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Zohorna was one of the few guys who actually played fairly well. Jarry after a tough start.

I’m just glad I got to watch Malkin’s last game. This very important game proved that he always sucked and is going to retire tomorrow out of embarrassment.
lol good one lol

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd rather watch this team lose 82 games a season by the score of 7-6 than to watch them try and slow things down and play this boring, slopshit hockey they're not built for (and for the core of guys who are ~36, won't be switching to adopt at this stage) just to eek out wins and hover around the WC spot. :laugh:
Yeah if you take out expectations for the team, they are absolutely more enjoyable than they were last year. It's just annoying to have expectations for this team and for them to consistently not hit them.

Adding Karlsson with what looks like an actually competent bottom-6 will make this team more enjoyable to watch, but it's still frustrating to see a team with this talent struggle in places that it shouldn't be struggling.
Karlsson's addition salvaged the season for me, but I'm entirely "entertainment or bust" anymore. Can't even imagine this team without adding EK, but still having Granlund and Petry for a full season. Yeesh. :laugh:

I think we all have to step the expectations down a couple rungs. The team hasn't won a playoff roung since 2018, they're an afterthought anymore despite some of the names on the back of the jerseys. /shrug

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
You’ve been saying how about we give Sullivan a chance for like two years lol
My argument has been roster construction. He largely has a team that should fit his style now. They may still not have enough to win a Cup, but assuming the top players stay relatively healthy, this should be a playoff team capable of winning a series or two.

If it doesn't, then the coaching staff needs addressed.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I don't think this logic follows. If Malkin is an elite player he absolutely should be able to carry a 2nd line, especially while playing with likely 2 of Smith, Rakell and Rust.
If we were smart elite or not you don't ask a 37 year old to carry a line is my thought process.
He's isn't even paid to be elite anymore. Took a discount so the team could surround him with talent. They got EK which is great.

He had a great season with Zuck and I know things don't always work out and we were fortunate to get Smith on the cheap. I just think it's asking a lot to ask a 37 year old to carry a line.

Reactions: Gurglesons

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Now I know you're just making up numbers. Do you seriously think that "20 blown 3rd period leads", meaning one out of every 4 games, is even remotely believable? If they were running a trap system, they never would have had those leads to begin with because they wouldn't be able to score.

No matter how many times fans suggest it, the Penguins implementing a trap system is and has always been a stupid suggestion.

They gave up about that many, but they only ended up losing 9. They'd already given up 16 leads in the 3rd by March 10th.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Now I know you're just making up numbers. Do you seriously think that "20 blown 3rd period leads", meaning one out of every 4 games, is even remotely believable? If they were running a trap system, they never would have had those leads to begin with because they wouldn't be able to score.

No matter how many times fans suggest it, the Penguins implementing a trap system is and has always been a stupid suggestion.
Sorry I meant tied or leading in the third they have had nearly 20 losses

9 losses while leading entering the third. 10 losses while tied entering the third. So 19.

That was the most in the league last year regardless.

And 3-22-1 when entering the third trailing.

Their woes are in the third. Because they are old. And Sullivan doesn't coach them like they are.

Reactions: Still Apps

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The coach is still coaching like it's 2017. If you get a coach that will slow the game down instead of playing like the pens are the fastest team in the league then we might see different results.

But I fully expect to see a dozen or so multi goal leads blown in the third like last year because the coach refuses to trap it up.

He's not. We haven't played like that in 5 years. It's a new, shittier system.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If we were smart elite or not you don't ask a 37 year old to carry a line is my thought process.
He's isn't even paid to be elite anymore. Took a discount so the team could surround him with talent. They got EK which is great.

He had a great season with Zuck and I know things don't always work out and we were fortunate to get Smith on the cheap. I just think it's asking a lot to ask a 37 year old to carry a line.

The thing is I don't see playing with 2 of Smith, Rust and Rakell as handicapping Malkin. Even with realizing he's not the player he once was, there should be something that works there. Malkin is still a 1C caliber player (or he should be) and that with 2 2nd line caliber wingers should make an effective 2nd line.

I think this place is too lenient on Malkin's responsibility in the struggles of L2 in recent years to combat the completely over the top blaming of Malkin from a different sector of the fanbase. Even with losing Zucker, this team should still have a very productive top-6, especially after adding EK. If either lines in the top-6 struggle to score, the players aren't doing what they should be capable of doing.

Sorry I meant tied or leading in the third they have had 20 losses

9 losses while leading entering the third. 10 losses while tied entering the third.

That was the most in the league last year regardless.

And 3-22-1 when entering the third trailing.

Their woes are in the third.

And if you play a trap system, you're be trailing in the third even more because this team wouldn't be able to score any goals. They already have issues scoring and playing a trap would make those issues even worse.

You can't blow third period leads if you don't even have a lead going into the third period to begin with.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Should be embarrassed, like Sid should. Took the whole team up there and for what? lmao

It doesn't count, imagine having a town come out for you because you're a legend and you lay an egg? Imagine that, he was trash.
I'll bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that Halifax and Cole Harbour folks don't give a hoot about how Sidney Crosby played in a single preseason game in 2023.

They're more invested in him as a person and his career as a whole than a single game that doesn't count for anything.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Anyways this is a good Ottawa team that will be a tough out this year.

Nice to seem some guys playing hard out there.

I understand it's preseason and I still think this team is solid this season.

Just calling out some issues that I think we will have this season which aligned with my thoughts in the summer about certain players

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'll bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that Halifax and Cole Harbour folks don't give a hoot about how Sidney Crosby played in a single preseason game in 2023.

They're more invested in him as a person and his career as a whole than a single game that doesn't count for anything.
Wow, what a profound and insightful comment, you showed me. LMAO

Hey, Do you want to sing Kumbaya as well? lol

Reactions: PaulD

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
My argument has been roster construction. He largely has a team that should fit his style now. They may still not have enough to win a Cup, but assuming the top players stay relatively healthy, this should be a playoff team capable of winning a series or two.

If it doesn't, then the coaching staff needs addressed.

K excited to hear this one in a few weeks

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I like how you're blaming Sullivan entirely and not at all the players.
"blaming" ??

you guys thslat always think it's about "blame"

it's about an abhorrent play off record dating back 6 consecutive years.
It's time for a new voice, fresh coaching staff, ......are you new. It's how ALL coaches move on.

Every great coach on the NHL has been replaced (fired) Blame has nothing to do with it. It's called CHANGE and trying something new.

Ownership has been more than fair and loyal to Sully ....... now get him out of the way and give another coach a chance .......that's how Sully got the job. Now he is the guy that needs to be shown the door.
That ain't about some pre season game......this is about a team losing the same way for years

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
The severe amount of passing on PP in just ridiculous by everyone but Karlsson. It is almost like the Pens think it takes math to score a goal on the PP they are so methodical about it. Maybe, Karlsson can rid them of this awful habit and crazy nonsense they let their own minds fall prey to.

Last edited:

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
And if you play a trap system, you're be trailing in the third even more because this team wouldn't be able to score any goals. They already have issues scoring and playing a trap would make those issues even worse.

You can't blow third period leads if you don't even have a lead going into the third period to begin with.

I didn't say play a trap all the time from the opening whistle. Play the trap when you have the lead late in games. Or not even a "trap". Just clog up the neutral zone, force turnovers, and go the other way.

But Sullivan just wants one style played for 60 minutes. They could be up 4 goals and they are still pinching. And we've seen it. Because they blew a 4 goal lead against the Red Wings last year doing just that.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
The thing is I don't see playing with 2 of Smith, Rust and Rakell as handicapping Malkin. Even with realizing he's not the player he once was, there should be something that works there. Malkin is still a 1C caliber player (or he should be) and that with 2 2nd line caliber wingers should make an effective 2nd line.

I think this place is too lenient on Malkin's responsibility in the struggles of L2 in recent years to combat the completely over the top blaming of Malkin from a different sector of the fanbase. Even with losing Zucker, this team should still have a very productive top-6, especially after adding EK. If either lines in the top-6 struggle to score, the players aren't doing what they should be capable of doing.

I can get behind that. While I believe Zucker is a much better style fit for a guy like Geno. Yes there is still some talent there that should have success in the top 6.
My concern is Geno stylistically doesn't always mesh with certain players. We've seen it though his career. If he plays well with someone it's usually really sexy. If it doesn't work It can get ugly. Probably even moreso at 37.

This all said I am not worried about Geno one bit. He can still play hockey. I just like Geno much better when his whole line is a threat. Hopefully we see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad