GDT: GDT Preseason game 5 Halifax Edition: Pens vs Aval..... What wait?! Why the Senators? We want Mack

I am:

• Excited for the game tonight

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Annoyed we arent playing the Avs

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Theres hockey?

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
"blaming" ??

you guys thslat always think it's about "blame"

it's about an abhorrent play off record dating back 6 consecutive years.
It's time for a new voice, fresh coaching staff, ......are you new. It's how ALL coaches move on.

Every great coach on the NHL has been replaced (fired) Blame has nothing to do with it. It's called CHANGE and trying something new.

Ownership has been more than fair and loyal to Sully ....... now get him out of the way and give another coach a chance .......that's how Sully got the job. Now he is the guy that needs to be shown the door.

You can say the same exact thing about the Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Guentzel core. Why does Sullivan deserve to be fired for not winning a playoff round in 6 years but Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Guentzel don't deserve to be traded for not winning a playoff round in 6 years? They're just as responsible for the team's failures in the past 5+ years as Sullivan is.

Also, more important than anything: how the f*** does this have any relevance after a pre-season game of all games? This isn't even a game that matters, let alone a playoff game.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's not really a mystery as to why the team was awful in 3rd periods last season. The goalie duo was an injury prone, volatile, inconsistent shitshow. The roster was pockmarked with guys 34-38 years old. The coach continually played guys like Carter and Dumo in situations they should not have been playing in. :laugh:

I think the off-season plans were to try and mitigate the chances/goals against given up by the team's bottom-6, even if they still can't f***ing score to save their lives.

I'm probably most worried about whether the team's got enough scoring up front (top-6) to be worth a damn, or to pick up the slack when Sid and Geno have their off nights. I'm not really at all convinced Rakell, Rust and Smith are good enough in that regard.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I didn't say play a trap all the time from the opening whistle. Play the trap when you have the lead late in games. Or not even a "trap". Just clog up the neutral zone, force turnovers, and go the other way.

But Sullivan just wants one style played for 60 minutes. They could be up 4 goals and they are still pinching. And we've seen it. Because they blew a 4 goal lead against the Red Wings last year doing just that.
Problem is you have to actually finish scoring chances in order to get leads.

Reactions: Andy99

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Problem is you have to actually finish scoring chances in order to get leads.

They had the most blown leads in the league last year. That's the problem.

Ya they aren't scoring at will like they used to be able to, but if they had just locked down even HALF of those leads last year (like even the bottom feeders of the league are capable of doing) then they are a comfortable playoff team. That's 10 extra points.

Just play the trap or a 1-3-1 or ANYTHING DIFFERENT in the third with a lead. Not rocket science.

Reactions: Still Apps

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
This team cannot play the trap for any length of time because the core players are not smart enough to do it the right way.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
They had the most blown leads in the league last year. That's the problem.

Ya they aren't scoring at will like they used to be able to, but if they had just locked down even HALF of those leads last year (like even the bottom feeders of the league are capable of doing) then they are a comfortable playoff team. That's 10 extra points.

Just play the trap or a 1-3-1 or ANYTHING DIFFERENT in the third with a lead. Not rocket science.
Or score more relative to your chances, get 2+ goal leads and win that way. Then there's more room for error.
45 expected goals below league average last year. Rancid.
This game was the same shit.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Or score more relative to your chances, get 2+ goal leads and win that way. Then there's more room for error.

They were the oldest team in the league last year and are even older this year. They can't play that continuous style of hockey for 60 minutes anymore.

You need to change something or the same result will happen: Most blown leads again and missing the playoffs again.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

I don't think you disagree, but we didn't generate any real chances in the 2nd half of the game other than EK's from Crosby. We don't necessarily have a finishing problem. I mean, we might, but we definitely have a massive offense generation problem that is way more pressing. Has been for 5 years.

It is just a preseason game, but it doesn't look like Sully has made any changes in our crappy passive hope and pray system.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Worst part of the game was Letang coming off the PP yelling and having Karlsson comfort him with an arm around his neck. Then they immediately come back on the ice to finish the PP and Karlsson goes to the bench yelling and slamming his stick on the boards.

• Haha
Reactions: Dessloch

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't think you disagree, but we didn't generate any real chances in the 2nd half of the game other than EK's from Crosby. We don't necessarily have a finishing problem. I mean, we might, but we definitely have a massive offense generation problem that is way more pressing. Has been for 5 years.

It is just a preseason game, but it doesn't look like Sully has made any changes in our crappy passive hope and pray system.

This is Mike Sullivan’s system. But just give it a couple weeks and then we can actually hold him accountable because “this is the preseason.”

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
A few thoughts from the game was that it was very pre season, ceremonial feel. I think the Pens scavenger hunted a little too hard over the weekend at Sid’s. Eller and DOC didn’t get much ice with all the Pens PP time. Speaking of which, PP2 looked better than PP1. Can’t role with 2 RD’s on PP1. Sully has to have the chat with Letang. EK very smooth. Hinostroza impressed me. He looked fast and hungry. Geno looked like he was playing a game of pick up with his kids friends.
Most entertaining was the a scrimmage game between members of a local squirt team with Iceburgh and Spartacat (the Sens mascot) in net.

Just pre season, but I wanted to see at least one Pens goal! Lol

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We've been "holding him accountable" for years. Problem is we're a buncha nobody dipshits obsessively posting on HFboards and not people who have any actual power to hold Sullivan accountable.

All those people f***ing adore him and sniff his shit after he's done in the bathroom.

As for the blown leads thing; team's old, they get gassed quick and their goalie ain't exactly a brick wall who is gonna bail 'em out. Add in a bunch of "the bottom-6 sucks" and a hefty helping of "the coach plays the worst of the roster way too much" and it's not exactly hard to piece it together. I don't think this team blows leads because they're too aggressive and constantly pinching. I think the opposite, actually. Maybe it's stamina, maybe it's coaching, maybe it's a combination, but I feel like this team's back on its heels way too much and it's only a matter of time until they give up enough chances against for the game to be tied or to fall behind.

Reactions: Darren McCord

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
You can say the same exact thing about the Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Guentzel core. Why does Sullivan deserve to be fired for not winning a playoff round in 6 years but Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Guentzel don't deserve to be traded for not winning a playoff round in 6 years? They're just as responsible for the team's failures in the past 5+ years as Sullivan is.

Also, more important than anything: how the f*** does this have any relevance after a pre-season game of all games? This isn't even a game that matters, let alone a playoff game.
because coaches get fired all the time for lengthy losing skids and play off failures......
because star players are hard to find and goid coaches are not
because coaches don't have no trade clauses
because coaches have shelf lives
because better coaches than sully have been fired.
because thats the way it goes in pro sports
because if it didn't work that way Sullivan would never have been hired
His shelf was is up long ago.

I've been told enough times though when I ask Pens fans why hasnt Sullivan been replaced??? - same answer "the new owner and Sully have a bromance going on"..... when new GM wants to fire him .....he won't be allowed to.

So it's a moot point anyhow.

Cheers

Last edited:

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Mike Sullivan has about as much of a creativity as a Rock.Poulin started camp great hasn't had a chance since. DOC plays well last game but cant get a bump in the lineup. Why is Rakell moved to Left wing when you could try another player there?

You can already see him going back into his same habits. Don't try anything. Bench young players doing well. Burnout the top 6 and hope they carry you to the playoffs.

Why not try a new look for the like 3 games without jake. Let a young player build some confidence.

Poulin - Sid - Rakell
Smith - Geno - Rust

Sullivan is as bad as Tomlin refusing to adjust as the game changes.

0 for 6 on the PP that includes Crosby Malkin Letang and Karlsson...

Don't worry they will adjust it by swapping Rakell with Rust. Sullivans go to.

Reactions: Gurglesons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad