GDT: GDT Preseason game 5 Halifax Edition: Pens vs Aval..... What wait?! Why the Senators? We want Mack

I am:

• Excited for the game tonight

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Annoyed we arent playing the Avs

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Theres hockey?

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Karlsson was actively avoiding shooting on the PP, and he has the best shot on that unit. Probably because he doesn't want to be a preseason try hard and blast it into somebody.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
We don't necessarily have a finishing problem. I mean, we might, but we definitely have a massive offense generation problem that is way more pressing. Has been for 5 years.
We do, believe me. It's something I paid attention to all year. They had severe problems with elevating pucks, exploiting vacant areas of nets, using appropriate power and timing, picking corners, NOT missing the net entirely, etc...
There wasn't one damn Penguin who shot over 15%.
You don't realize the extent of it. Last year's team was the most wasteful Penguins squad in my life.
It has to change, or there's good odds they miss again. Karlsson's supposed to help create the chances that are harder to f*** up, but he's one man. It needs to come from within.
1696303656857.png
1696303715788.png

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
and if the head coach is going to look on while his bumbling assistant makes a mockery out of a PP with 3-4 future hall of famers on it, it's on him too.

No. It’s never Sullivan’s fault. It’s Dubas’s fault because he’s Sullivan’s boss, but it’s Sullivan’s assistant’s fault when we’ve been running the same Powerplay structure since 15-16.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I do like how Karlsson is carrying the mail on the PP breakout. Letang is so bad at that, and EK was actually executing the breakouts pretty well today.

In zone stuff was a mess though

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
We do, believe me. It's something I paid attention to all year. They had severe problems with elevating pucks, exploiting vacant areas of nets, using appropriate power and timing, picking corners, NOT missing the net entirely, etc...
You don't realize the extent of it. Last year's team was the most wasteful Penguins squad in my life.
It has to change, or there's good odds they miss again. Karlsson's supposed to help create the chances that are harder to f*** up, but he's one man. It needs to come from within.
View attachment 748429 View attachment 748430
I bet the vast majority of those so called “high danger chances” are from about 5 feet out at the side of the net. And they’re not coming from cross-crease passes. They’re just bad angle shots that the goalie is ready for.

Might be a different story if our players liked to get to the front of the net, but they prefer to chill along the walls or below the goal line so they’re always outnumbered around the front of the net which makes it difficult to get to the f***ing rebounds.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
This one's on Reirden. He's the PP coach. If he can't create a strategy that works then he needs to go.
Letang provides nothing on the PP if he’s not shooting. He’s terrible at judging puck races so we constantly give up odd-man rushes on the PP. That comes with the territory to an extent, but he really misjudges a lot of races.

He constantly passes into everyone’s skates. When he does have an open look, his stick always seems to shatter or he completely whiffs. He’s embarrassing himself out there and will hear the boo-birds this season if they keep him on the top-unit. I’m actually beginning to question if he can even be a positive 2nd pairing guy at this point. If he’s dropped off even more than last season, our goose is cooked.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
View attachment 748429 View attachment 748430

That’s all fair enough, but I think there’s a big difference between a hdfc and an actual chance to score and we seem to be good at the former and not the latter. Crap finishing is one thing, but we definitely did not generate genuine scoring chances anywhere near the top of the league. We had one legit chance in the 2nd half of the game tonight, how many were we given according to that metric?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
That’s all fair enough, but I think there’s a big difference between a hdfc and an actual chance to score and we seem to be good at the former and not the latter. Crap finishing is one thing, but we definitely did not generate genuine scoring chances anywhere near the top of the league.
Fine. Even if they're tracking it wrong and we're like actually 10th in HDFC instead of 2nd, it's still an amber alert level problem.
I'm only posting the stats because my words aren't getting through to you guys. I watched for this every game last year, to see if we'd improve that aspect from 2021-22 (which was also awful).
It started really good, when we were putting up 6-spots in October. We were up there with Seattle in 5v5 goals at the very top for a while, and the GFAx was strong.
Then the finishing crashed and burned, as if they forgot how to do it. They started shooting like AHL'ers.

It started happening so regularly that fans started thinking it's normal to be this flaccid, and they just need to keep generating more and more until they breakthrough. But when I watch other teams around the league, they do a lot better with the same damn types of chances.

Vancouver's an example. I follow them a bit, since I live here. They are just so much better at execution. They shoot harder, higher. Their releases are faster. They make up their minds more quickly. And when it's clear the goalie is set and it's unlikely to go in, they hang onto it and make them move laterally. Our players just shoot it at the logo or miss the net in those situations.
I'm as fed up with Sully as everyone else, but he is not instructing them to shoot this way. He is leaving it to their best judgment. He only cares about generating them, and then he wants them to "use their instincts" like he always says.

This same coach used to get strong shooting seasons out of his teams, with the same damn system. That includes a few years ago when we topped the division. The problem is, for whatever reason, it's evaporated. There's some lack of confidence/bad vibes going on. There's a lack of killer instinct and hunger. Missing some anger too. It's all too passive and wavering.

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Letang provides nothing on the PP if he’s not shooting. He’s terrible at judging puck races so we constantly give up odd-man rushes on the PP. That comes with the territory to an extent, but he really misjudges a lot of races.

He constantly passes into everyone’s skates. When he does have an open look, his stick always seems to shatter or he completely whiffs. He’s embarrassing himself out there and will hear the boo-birds this season if they keep him on the top-unit. I’m actually beginning to question if he can even be a positive 2nd pairing guy at this point. If he’s dropped off even more than last season, our goose is cooked.
Yeah, especially if he's on the left half-wall, I really don't like it.
So what then, we're gonna remove Rakell when Jake gets back? Our PPG leader from last year, despite not being on PP1 for the first ~20 games?

Crosby should be the net-front. Jake is not gonna do it better.
Malkin should be right wall. Rakell should be left wall. It's very clear that their skillsets match those roles.
Tanger doesn't have Rakell's shot power from range, or urgency to shoot. Worse with the playmaking too.

Letang should be PP2, in his organic position. His minutes need to get reduced anyway. He's old.
The only reason he's getting the spot now is because he's tight with Reirden. It's a nepo decision. Nothing supports the idea that Letang will outperform Rakell on the left wall. He's never done it before and his skillset doesn't match the job.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
preseason boys. Do you honestly think a bunch of future HOFers in their late 30s are going to lay it all out there for a meaningless game. Sure the pp could have looked better, but it is way too early to jump to any conclusions.

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
John Marino sucks evergreen post.
Kevin Hatcher's purse was more powerful than anything Zubov ever brought to Mario's PP. Prudent trade that was as well.

It doesn't matter much though, Penguins are in possession of the coveted Ty Smith now!
8 or so seasons away from stepping into Grand Marshall Petry's position to lead this team defense.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Hey guys, just woke here. Should I watch the game or not? Have not spoiled the score. But accidentally caught Big Friggin Dummy commenting on how he does not mind losing as long as its entertaining hockey as per usual. And that did make me fear watching this :D

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
and if the head coach is going to look on while his bumbling assistant makes a mockery out of a PP with 3-4 future hall of famers on it, it's on him too.
it's wild that this point is so controversial.

preseason boys. Do you honestly think a bunch of future HOFers in their late 30s are going to lay it all out there for a meaningless game. Sure the pp could have looked better, but it is way too early to jump to any conclusions.
any day now, this team is going to flip the on switch and then go on a tear to make it to the 9th seed!

Reactions: Darren McCord

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Hey guys, just woke here. Should I watch the game or not? Have not spoiled the score. But accidentally caught Big Friggin Dummy commenting on how he does not mind losing as long as its entertaining hockey as per usual. And that did make me fear watching this :D

Power plays in the game

Pens = 6
Sens = 0

Insane that you think this game would be lost

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
No doubt. Just wanted to clarify what you mean by not meeting expectations. Like if the Penguins finished 7th and lost in the 1st or 2nd round it'd be easy to say they didn't live up to expectations, but really I think that is pretty much what people expect this season.
No but I do think a bunch of future hofers in their mid 30’s could miss the playoffs since they missed last year with a healthy Crosby and malkin

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, if it makes you feel better it's preseason so it doesn't matter yet. :laugh:

EK kicks ass. That's about it, really.
it's wild that this point is so controversial.

any day now, this team is going to flip the on switch and then go on a tear to make it to the 9th seed!
Fall behind a bit in the standings so you have to go on a mad rush in like January/February and inevitably burn out your old ass lineup and goalie by the time April rolls around? The Penguins classic, you love to see it.

Reactions: Dessloch

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Sure, it's on him in the same way that it's on your boss when you mess up, if you have that arrangement. They are delegating tasks. You gotta be able to trust the people you work with to handle their jobs.

What do you want Sullivan to do about it then? Take over the unit, like when he stripped Recchi of the job?
Override Reirden's decisions to the point that Reirden's a faux PP coach? Assign Vellucci to PP and Reirden to PK?

Even if Sullivan took it over, nothing would subtantially change. He is even less flexible and adaptable than Reirden. It would be mired in stagnation, bound to the same personnel, regardless of performance.
And even if he interfered more, would what he demands be helpful? He seems to be struggling quite a bit with 5v5 offense, without any insight in to how to fix it.

What they need is a new assistant entirely. Same thing with Vellucci if his PK sucks, because there's seriously no excuse with this personnel.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Letang would be fine on PP2, but he's poison on PP1.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I figured everyone knew this, haha. I only watched about 3 periods total, but from what I saw they weren’t exactly trying.

The one negative I see is Letang sharing the PP with EK, though. Letang was still trying to control the puck too much. I’m hoping that changes, but I’ll chalk it up to a 36 year old now having to do something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad