U18: GDT: Hlinka Gretzky Cup Gold Medal and Bronze Medal Games

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
So I am often an underdog guy, but the level of favouritism by these refs is a disgrace. Makes me want Canada to win, which I rarely do in these tournaments.
It was disgraceful. They should never let the home country's refs referee a final. What an idiotic idea.

Reactions: Dominance

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Before I say anything else...

One of the refs was from

Thunder Bay...
Which is in Ontario...
Which is a province...
In Canada
The penalty in O.T. HAD to be called because it led to a breakaway - the refs had NO choice but to call it.

I only saw the 1st period and the O.T. Everything looked fine to me.

Reactions: New User Name

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
The entire OT I kept thinking Kos was taking too many risks (him and galvas).. he would either be a hero or a zero. Sure enough.. zero. I do admire that he was going for it and his Moxy though.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Congrats Canada... You always pull through when it counts! Gorgeous steal and goal to win. I think this win gives you 80 percent of the gold's in this history of this tourney. Amazing. You are also on three U20s in a row.

Reactions: Dominance

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The penalty in O.T. HAD to be called because it led to a breakaway - the refs had NO choice but to call it.

I only saw the 1st period and the O.T. Everything looked fine to me.
They had a choice. They ignored a penalty on the Czechs right before that that could have led to a goal. If you don't call the 1st you MUST ignore the 2nd one.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It amazing...

OT's were 4 on 4 (in the NHL - IIRC) but teams found a way to slow everything down and play defensive hockey - and it got boring.

OT's are now 3 on 3 and they've done the same thing - found a way to defend to the point where it gets SLOW.

Again, that 3 on 3 was a snoozer.

They had a choice. They ignored a penalty on the Czechs right before that that could have led to a goal. If you don't call the 1st you MUST ignore the 2nd one.
That's true but the first one did not lead to a breakaway.

They should have just halted the play and had a faceoff.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I had no issue with the calls on Canada. I had issue with the non-calls on the Czechs. It wasn't called evenly in my opinion.

Putting that aside, the Czech goalie was brilliant. If not for him, the score could have been 7-2.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
It amazing...

OT's were 4 on 4 (in the NHL - IIRC) but teams found a way to slow everything down and play defensive hockey - and it got boring.

OT's are now 3 on 3 and they've done the same thing - found a way to defend to the point where it gets SLOW.

Again, that 3 on 3 was a snoozer.
and people want 3 on 3 for the stanley cup playoffs :laugh:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I had no issue with the calls on Canada. I had issue with the non-calls on the Czechs. It wasn't called evenly in my opinion.

Putting that aside, the Czech goalie was brilliant. If not for him, the score could have been 7-2.
All true.

karlstegger

May 15, 2016
Denmark
Congrats Canada... You always pull through when it counts! Gorgeous steal and goal to win. I think this win gives you 80 percent of the gold's in this history of this tourney. Amazing. You are also on three U20s in a row.
Isn't is "just" two U20 in a row?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
and people want 3 on 3 for the stanley cup playoffs :laugh:
But how the heck are they slowing down 3 on 3? They're killing it. At the World Juniors, without Bedard's team deke, the game against Slovakia(?) might still be going on.

It's like they say, lesser teams will ALWAYS find a way to defend and smother - even 3 on 3.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
It was disgraceful. They should never let the home country's refs referee a final. What an idiotic idea.
But best on bests in Canada with Canadian refs are okay? Right?

Or 80 percent of world Juniors in Canada or a border town.

Or the fact that this tourney used to only be in Czech and Slovakia and the name Gretzky was added to it and it it is now split between Canada and Czech and Slovakia.

Also... One of the refs was Canadian. One was Czech. Not sure how you are missing that detail. No idea where the third ref was from... I'm guessing not Czech though...

It was a glorious final... Almost went to double OT
.. you won gold and have done nothing but complain.

Also... Find me one NHL playoff thread where both fanbase aren't bitching about the refs. Or world Junior thread. Or world championships thread.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Aw well. It hurts given how close it was, but overall the better team won so fair enough! Congratulations to the gold medalists.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad