U18: GDT: Hlinka Gretzky Cup Gold Medal and Bronze Medal Games

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Why is it any time a game is close Canadian fans whine about the refs?

Don't remember the same type of whining after the Lias Andersson game in the World Juniors?

Selective amnesia?
It was basically two posters. But it's definitely an HF thing. My fav is the playoffs when you go on both teams threads and both fanbase are complaining about the refs.

Hardest sport to ref in the world IMO

If there is a game day thread anywhere in HF history where both sets of fans agreed the refs were awesome and gave them kudos.. I missed it lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
nobody who knows the game even a little bit could argue that they covered themselves in glory
This is a perfect way to put it.

The two worst calls were the 4 minute minor against Canada nd the disallowed goal against the Czechs. I'd take an extra 2 minutes over a disallowed goal personally.

Big difference between thinking the refs were great (which no one said) and disagreeing that there was some fix in against Canada (which several people said).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't think there was an all star team?

I also thought the key to gold yesterday was 1 of 2 things...

1. An awesome Canadian PK!
2. A not so awesome Czech PP

Some combo of that. Czechs had a lot of glorious PP opportunities... Specifically the OT one and the 4 minute one. Didn't capitalize on either.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I see it all ended in a big bitch about the refs.........................I would have never guessed that would happen around here.

Americans beef about IIHF refs, too.

Canadian and American hockey players / fans prefer refs put the whistles away - unless something is blatant and cannot be overlooked, let them play.
EVERY teams fans bitch abut the refs, EVERY game, EVERY year.

I think I hate the selective amnesia that surrounds this fact more then I hate the actual non stop bitching.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I see it all ended in a big bitch about the refs.........................I would have never guessed that would happen around here.

EVERY teams fans bitch abut the refs, EVERY game, EVERY year.

I think I hate the selective amnesia that surrounds this fact more then I hate the actual non stop bitching.
It's a different game when the refs get involved. Europeans are more used to it than Canada/U.S.

The Canada / U.S. game semis was a disgrace - the refs took over the entire game and, my guess, neither team wanted it.

If in doubt, let them play.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's a different game when the refs get involved. Europeans are more used to it than Canada/U.S.

The Canada / U.S. game semis was a disgrace - the refs took over the entire game and, my guess, neither team wanted it.

If in doubt, let them play.
Well yes let them play if in doubt. but then you will get bitching about non calls that fans swear was a call and is "costing them the game"

You can't win with sports fans, a more babyish lot you simply cannot find.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Well yes let them play if in doubt. but then you will get bitching about non calls that fans swear was a call and is "costing them the game"

You can't win with sports fans, a more babyish lot you simply cannot find.
That's fair but if they even things out - with or without calls, most fans are happy. I just know when Canada / U.S. plays at the WJR's, more times than not, the refs let them play - and North American fans prefer it that way.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
That's fair but if they even things out - with or without calls, most fans are happy. I just know when Canada / U.S. plays at the WJR's, more times than not, the refs let them play - and North American fans prefer that.
I get it, some calls have to be made though and it always causes consternation, you could have 2 calls all game and some would still bitch.

There is no winning with some fans, doesn't matter how the game is called they can't help themselves, the refs are always the most corrupt sons of bitches they've ever seen, until the next game of course when those refs turn into the most corrupt sons of bitches of all time.

Reactions: Czechboy

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I get it, some calls have to be made though and it always causes consternation, you could have 2 calls all game and some would still bitch.

There is no winning with some fans, doesn't matter how the game is called they can't help themselves.
Very true. :)

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
If there is a game day thread anywhere in HF history where both sets of fans agreed the refs were awesome and gave them kudos.. I missed it lol
I thought the group games in Slovakia were well officiated. Seemed as if the standard was clear and they let them play. Semifinal in Slovakia though was overkill, too many stick infractions called for a game between two North American teams

Reactions: Czechboy

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Great result for Czechs. Curran really made a name for himself. Plays some really nice physical hockey with a bit of skill. Not a slow skater either.
Benak is going to be fun to watch for years to come.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Hlinka Gretzky Cup - Wikipedia

Just wanted to point out this is not a IIHF tourney. It is run by three countries jointly.

Czech federation
Slovak federation
And, you guessed it...

Hockey Canada!

For those that mentioned poor feeds, cheap medals and crooked refs. If you are Canadian and saying this... You are criticizing your own hockey federation. Just making sure that is clear.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad