TV: GDT. Game of thrones episode 2 discussion. Stay out of if you have not seen it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I think Sansa is just happy to have an old friend around to talk to. The closest thing she's got to friends are Arya and Lyana Mormont, and when the girl who's a trained assassin is the most chill of your peer group then you probably welcome someone like Theon who's probably a good listener at the very least.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's funny. If every male GoT fan were hooting and hollering over Arya undressing and enjoying her sex scene, they'd be condemned for being perverted and objectifying women. When they're actually uncomfortable watching it, because she's like a sister or daughter to them, though, they get condemned for opposing a grown woman's choice to "empower" herself. It's as if people just wait to see what popular sentiment is so that they can lecture the opposite, whatever it may be.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
oix5f90x84l21.jpg

Takes on a bit of a different meaning now, doesn't it?

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Not to mention, isn't Theon "damaged" down there? I assume he can't have children, which would make a marriage kind of inconvenient. I think Theon is fine dying a hero's death defending someone like Bran. It would be a heck of a redemption considering his past misdeeds. Or, if he survives, he could become Sansa's steward, captain of guards or something like that.
Pretty sure he looks like a Ken doll, if you catch my drift...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Not comparable in Clark’s scene was a rape, while Arya’s was her character having all the agency.

Arya is 18. Maisie is 22. It was tastefully done. People need to get over it. It’s one of the reasons she was excited to do the scene. She is tired of everyone thinking she is still 12.

All this outrage over a butt and “side boob”?

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
My going theory is they lose Winterfell and retreat to the Iron Islands. They didn't mention that just to have a throwaway line. Afterwards, Cersai gets to her turn against the undead hoard except she has absolutely no possible way of winning. It's here where Jon and co rejoin the fight.

I really can't see the White Walkers being defeated before episode 5. It would make the whole showdown extremely anti-climatic.

I like that, that makes a lot of sense. I guess while I am enjoying the episodes, I'm also watching the clock thinking they have a ton to wrap up in 4 weeks. So I'm worried some things are going to feel rushed through.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Why the hell are people upset about Arya and Gentry having sex???

Speaking for myself, I found it a bit uncomfortable watching a sex scene (mild as it turned out to be) between two characters, one of which I assumed was maybe 15 years old and the other maybe 25 years old. I’m not talking about the actors, I’m talking about the characters. Yes, I found that a little creepy at the time. Now after consulting the wisdom of the internet I find that Arya is supposed to be 18. So fine, move on, no need to lecture people who were put off by what they were seeing at the time.

And for the record, yes, Margaery seducing Tommen was also creepy.

Reactions: xtra

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Pretty good episode. Really set everything up for the battle. The scenes with Tyrion, Jaime, Brienne, Tormund, etc. were touching. Also thought the Arya sex scene was a bit uncomfortable, but if she’s 18 in real life and on the show I suppose it’s fine.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
It's weird, I fully expect a lot of good people to die in the final battle(s), but at the same time it feels like many stories still need a closure (other than death) which would require a majority of the chracters to survive at least the first battle. Off the top of my head, I see maybe Davos, Grey Worm, Beric, Dolorous Edd as likeliest to die next episode because they have very little going on outside of the final battle. Of course, they could be building some of the other characters up just so their deaths would feel more significant. Jaime & the Hound have "obligations" outside the North which would suggest they survive to the very end. I guess Tormund & Brienne could die, but my gut says both survive, or at least Brienne. I guess Theon would be the obvious major character to die next episode. He's not that significant anymore and is basically set up to sacrifice himself.

edit: Could have posted this in the Deadpool thread. Would add Jorah to the list of soon to die.

Reactions: max21

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I liked the episode. I miss how the earlier episodes were more about dialogue than action. This episode was more of a good-bye to everyone because a bunch are going to die next episode and had lots of funny bits. I was laughing throughout. On Arya/Gendry scene, everyone I was watching with laughed during the scene. I don't think that was the intention, but that's what happened.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Pretty good episode. Really set everything up for the battle. The scenes with Tyrion, Jaime, Brienne, Tormund, etc. were touching. Also thought the Arya sex scene was a bit uncomfortable, but if she’s 18 in real life and on the show I suppose it’s fine.
22 in real life, 18 on the show.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I was pretty disappointed with this "I trusted Cersei, oops"-plot. Guy spends several seasons being suspicious of her every move yet is fooled by her right before the end? Am I missing something or is this not ridiculously stupid and out of character for Tyrion? :help:

It seems like since everyone complained about "Tyrion plot armor" in the past, they decided to keep hammering him down to make him look like an ass in order to set up for his future demise. I can hardly think of any ideas since they've come back to Westeros that have worked.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I get people finding the Arya scene a bit weird. MW was 12 or something when the show started, and it's hard not to think of her as the kid from S1. That said, from a character POV, I thought it was well done. Arya was empowered. It wasn't about any sort of doe-eyed romantic thing that would have run contrary to her character. Suspect this will be the end of it. Not sure what, if any, kind of long-term payoff you could get. Arya doesn't care about marriage or being a lady or ruling and Gendry, even as Robert's illegitimate kid, is unlikely to be in a position of power at the end.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
That would be a kind of full circle poetic justice.
His story ending as the one who slew the Night King would bring honour to his nickname, and be the greatest entry in the White Book. For me personally, Jaime’s death will be one among the most gut wrenching of the characters (most likely) to die along with Sandor Clegane. I just hope Sandor gets his wish and kills zombie Gregor, I’ll be so disappointed if he doesn’t.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So let me get this straight, people are outraged over Arya having a sex scene with fairly tasteful nudity (you don't really see anything) because they have watched her grow up from a small child, but I don't see people being outraged over her being a mass murderer and assassin. She first killed someone at 11 or 12 and has since killed dozens more people, some in brutal and twisted ways like cutting up 2 sons and feeding them to their father. If you are disturbed, outraged, upset, etc. by Arya as an adult having consensual sex with someone she has been in love with for years, but are in no way disturbed by the sadistic violence she has displayed, you need some serious reflection on your morals.

It's funny. If every male GoT fan were hooting and hollering over Arya undressing and enjoying her sex scene, they'd be condemned for being perverted and objectifying women. When they're actually uncomfortable watching it, because she's like a sister or daughter to them, though, they get condemned for opposing a grown woman's choice to "empower" herself. It's as if people just wait to see what popular sentiment is so that they can lecture the opposite, whatever it may be.
This is a black and white fallacy and a strawman, since no one has in any way argued for or displayed the reaction in your first sentence. Someone having the reaction in your first sentence is as misguided as the reaction in your second sentence. Like I said above, are you uncomfortable watching someone who is like a sister/daughter to you murder people and feed them to their relatives? Sex is a natural part of life and a normal and expected development for a character who is now an adult. As far as first sex scenes go, Arya has had one of the most tasteful and healthy sex scenes ever on the show.

Speaking for myself, I found it a bit uncomfortable watching a sex scene (mild as it turned out to be) between two characters, one of which I assumed was maybe 15 years old and the other maybe 25 years old. I’m not talking about the actors, I’m talking about the characters. Yes, I found that a little creepy at the time. Now after consulting the wisdom of the internet I find that Arya is supposed to be 18. So fine, move on, no need to lecture people who were put off by what they were seeing at the time.

And for the record, yes, Margaery seducing Tommen was also creepy.
Margaery and Tommen was supposed to be creepy when she went into his chamber when he was like 14 to start seducing him. I don't remember people still saying it was creepy a season later when he was f***ing her though, despite still being much younger than Arya is now.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I didn’t really take the scene in that manner either way. I just saw it as Arya, while being a deadly individual at such a young age, is still fascinated by the natural act of sex and wanted to experience it with a guy I believe she fell for awhile ago.

She’s allowed to be a horn dog like any teen and still be who she was before that. Just kind of seems natural to me. Would be more weird/disturbing if she didn’t want to make a connection with another human being.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I didn’t really take the scene in that manner either way. I just saw it as Arya, while being a deadly individual at such a young age, is still fascinated by the natural act of sex and wanted to experience it with a guy I believe she fell for awhile ago.

She’s allowed to be a horn dog and still be who she was before that. Just kind of seems natural to me. Would be more weird/disturbing if she didn’t want to make a connection with another human being.
I think people forget that she had a huge crush on him in season 2 and season 3 as well, but that they downplayed it a bit because of the difference in age between the actors. People have been speculating that they would get together since before the show even, and it has only increased since Gendry came back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad