Post-Game Talk: GDT: #7 - 10/17/18 | RANGERS @ capitals | 7:00 - NBCSN

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
You make many valid points, but this IS Hockey's Future - of course people are going to love potential. It's a site built around discussing younger guys and prospects.

They just keep the name from smaller days, and there are dedicated threads for all types of things like that.

Moreover, there is neither anything wrong with analyzing prospects, nor wishing specific prospect meet certain potentials given something the team desperately needs [i.e. pure sniper, puck moving defensemen, etc.]

The issue to which I believe he was referring is the analysis starts to get sort of bizarre into a mancrush thing or a pissing contest because someone was wrong about X prospect so they feel the need to defend something ad nauseam outside of reality at certain points.

For example, when I mention the "Russian bias" it was because instead of honest analysis about AV not a good fit for a rebuild or certain prospects being over-rated, the discussions started to get very looney about, in this case, andecdotal things about AV hating Russians or getting into very esoteric stats "proving" that although said player wasn't producing, they would be producing at a hall of fame rate given Y minutes; therefore Z management must want us to lose.

The Clendening thing was weird too. I mean he's on his 6th team now, and not doing great, but man o man the leaps of imagination in regard to why eh wasn't playing here were very odd to say the least.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Buchnevich is not long for this team. He's lazy. Said it for over a year now. He's exactly the type of player Quinn isn't going to want around long term. Hope they can use him with a guy like Staal to dump a more expensive contract. Or better yet, go after Nylander who the Leafs can't possible pay with having to pay Matthews.

Or maybe Buchnevich and Hayes for Nylander.

Reactions: TheTakedown

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Doesn’t it bother anyone else that this “core” left over from last year are those most singled out as being terrible after every game?!?! Aside from Hank, none of the other core guys has been consistently good this year—Staal, Kreider, Hayes, Mica, Zucc, Buch, Vesey all have routinely been underperforming all year and for much of their career. I’m so confused why these were the guys management decided to keep around while others left. At some point, it’s not underperforming anymore— it’s more they are the hockey players they are and the fantasy that they will “develop” needs to be reveiwed. This is why I’m so down on this team. The “core” is a joke and I can only guess at the negative influence this will have on the development of the newer players.

I’m desperate for management to see this and make the correct moves to get assests for these guys too!

Reactions: CaptBubba5

Walter t

Mar 12, 2018
He’s a bad coach. The arrogance of that statement. I couldn’t coach a peewee team, let alone an NHL team.

Buchnevich is one of those players who has moments of brilliance where you’re like, why can’t you even remotely put that together?!

How many Ranger players have we seen that has all the potential (e.g. Kreider) who can’t seem to put it all together? It’s not the coaching staff — especially when we have gone through Renney, Torts, AV, and now Quinn. Do people realize that this is the highest level of play? There is nothing higher than the NHL. As much as people **** on Marc Staal he would utterly decimate every single person here.

I work with professional athletes. I have such respect for any athlete to even make it REMOTELY close to the NHL. A journeyman AHLer? They’re filthy.

My point being is that there have been many players in all sports, in all leagues, who were brilliant in another league but couldn’t make it in “the big leagues” or they weren’t as impactful as people assumed...

...that might be the Buchnevich’s and Kreider’s of the team. It happens. Statistically to even make the NHL? Unreal.
And it's not like the Rangers are the only team with players who don't seem to reach their potential or draft picks who turn into busts. It happens to them all. Playing major league sports is hard. Eli Manning sucks now. We all know that. Except that the sucking Eli Manning is better than all but about 100 people in the world at playing quarterback. And in his prime he was even better than that. I'm 56 years old. I've done various jobs and some I've been pretty good at. My bosses loved me. But I've never been the 100th best in the world at anything

Reactions: Rangerfans

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
The core aren't all that talented. Zucc is a smaller player with a lot of miles. They would be wise to move him sooner than later. Kreider has never had great hockey sense. He is what he is. A 45-50 point wing who stands in front of the net. Hayes is what he is. A big, lumbering center who is good in half his games. First thing Gorton needs to do is get rid of Spooner and Namestnikov who he should have never signed in the first place. Considering the length of their deals, that shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: JHS

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Hank should have had Ovi’s goal. But Hanks has saved a fair amount of shots that should have been goals. We should have lost to San Jose, Hank was the reason why the Nashville game was close, and the reason we won in a SO against Colorado.

So while I understand that you are not complaining, it sounds like you are not giving him a pass even though he has saved our bacon.

Hank has played well this year, no doubt, but it seems like every game the team wins or is close to winning, its because of Hank, according to many posters. If we use that logic, did Holtby save the Caps tonight, because he outplayed Hank. How about games where we out shot our opponent? Was their goalie better?
I don't expect Hank to be a miracle worker, but we need to give credit to the rest of the team. They are playing better in front of him. Definitely not without mistakes, but isn't that how all goals are scored, off of mistakes?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Great job getting a point against the Caps on the road on the second of a back to back.

Not going to analyze defensive coverage in OT. It's 3 on 3. It's designed to end games.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Tanner Glass's warmup wrist shots are faster than the fastest shot I've ever taken in my life.

I’m not bragging, because I could barely skate well enough to keep up at C level beer league, but I did have two NHL assistant coaches tell me I had a high ECHL level wristshot.

I did an “on-ice class” with some Hurricanes season ticket holders. Kevin McCarthy and Randy Ladouceur were the assistant coaches on ice with us. They did some simple “skill” work with us and had us shooting. I was picking corners with velocity.

Was told that if I could skate, I would have been a decent player...

As for your tennis example, they might win a point on a wide shot, but there is no way they win a game.

Walter t

Mar 12, 2018
I'm not well versed in statistical analysis but one thing I do understand is that 7 games is a small sample size. Young players especially will be inconsistent. But they need to play. My biggest complaint so far is that I think Pionk and DeAngelo should play every night. Yes the PK will be hurt but that is the beauty of committing to a rebuild. But overall I'm happy with the effort, and the results will be mixed at best but I'll enjoy the wins and tell myself the losses will help the rebuild.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Hayes overdoes it but he creates great chances. Buchnevich and Zucc are overdoing it and generating nothing. Same for Chytil tonight tbh.

I dunno. I like Chytil but I can't help but feel like he should be in the AHL and Andersson should be in the NHL. :dunno:

Chytil still looks very lost out there at times and to me, that is vastly different than making some rookie mistakes or blowing coverage once in a while.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Zucc gets a pass from me. I thought he and Hayes had a great game against the Avs. I'm not ready to write him off yet, and its only 7 games into the season.

Buch is starting to worry me. Its been the same amount of time for him this season (less because he has been scratched, but whatever) but he doesn't have the pedigree of Zucc. I fear he may always be a player that has talent but folds when the going gets tough. Oh, and Zherdev was more talented than Buchnevich. He still deserves patience though.

It is so clear that Staal is not one of our 3 best LD. He is probably 5th or 6th in the organization. Grow some balls and scratch him.

Claesson is a serviceable bottom pair defender.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I dunno. I like Chytil but I can't help but feel like he should be in the AHL and Andersson should be in the NHL. :dunno:

Chytil still looks very lost out there at times and to me, that is vastly different than making some rookie mistakes or blowing coverage once in a while.

Posted in the Chytil thread:

I thought he looked very apprehensive last night. He has the skills to get where he needs to get, and we know he is talented offensively, but he made some bad reads on the attack last night. He was great along the boards, and was a really solid puck retriever, but it seemed like whenever he had any actual time with the puck he would make the first decision that became available to him instead of waiting for the play to develop.

I also fully understand he is a Center playing Wing, but that doesn't mean he is free from criticism.

On the play where Chytil carried the puck in on a 3 on 2, he had numbers yet just weakly backhanded the puck towards the net and killed the play. I hate to copy Brian Boucher's analysis, but he was right. Chytil could have done himself a favor if he either held the puck a bit longer, or pulled up and switched to his forehand to open up more options to himself.

There was another play where he won a battle along the boards and had all kinds of room to try and find somebody open, but he immediately threw the puck towards the front of the goal with nobody in white there. Not a bad play if there are no other options, but thats a case where you have to opportunity to let a play develop. He created the time for himself, yet he didn't use it to his advantage.

This ability to recognize how a play is unfolding and picking your spots is not an ability that comes naturally to very many rookies so I'm not trying to attack Chytil, but he certainly has a lot to learn.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Posted in the Chytil thread:

I thought he looked very apprehensive last night. He has the skills to get where he needs to get, and we know he is talented offensively, but he made some bad reads on the attack last night. He was great along the boards, and was a really solid puck retriever, but it seemed like whenever he had any actual time with the puck he would make the first decision that became available to him instead of waiting for the play to develop.

I also fully understand he is a Center playing Wing, but that doesn't mean he is free from criticism.

On the play where Chytil carried the puck in on a 3 on 2, he had numbers yet just weakly backhanded the puck towards the net and killed the play. I hate to copy Brian Boucher's analysis, but he was right. Chytil could have done himself a favor if he either held the puck a bit longer, or pulled up and switched to his forehand to open up more options to himself.

There was another play where he won a battle along the boards and had all kinds of room to try and find somebody open, but he immediately threw the puck towards the front of the goal with nobody in white there. Not a bad play if there are no other options, but thats a case where you have to opportunity to let a play develop. He created the time for himself, yet he didn't use it to his advantage.

This ability to recognize how a play is unfolding and picking your spots is not an ability that comes naturally to very many rookies so I'm not trying to attack Chytil, but he certainly has a lot to learn.

It's a learning phase, to me, getting acclimated to the speeds and styles of the different teams. Maybe once he experiences all the teams around the league, he'll get a better sense. The Avs didn't give him a lot of time and space. It could be that he was expecting the Caps to be a very fast team and play very fast. Could be that he was told to speed his game up. Could be simply that he was nervous; it was the Stanley Cup champs, intimidation can happen to young kids still trying to gain confidence.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm not as worried about how we looked last night as I am with players who should be standing out who aren't. I was actually impressed with how we played through 2 periods last night, and in the 3rd we didnt looks so good but that is sometimes to be expected on back to backs.
Unfortunately though, Zuc does look a step slower this year and being a small guy he needs to be fast, watching him right now he looks like a deadline deal.
Buchnevich needs to show some heart. Hes a gifted player who cant get things going because hes a bit of a push over and I believe he is too hard on himself.
Hayes needs to find some consistancy, same for Kreider. Zibanajad has turned it around so maybe these guys will too.
All in all though I think we are starting to react well to the new system and it appears to work, Colorado and Washington are two very good teams and we took 3 points out of those two games. I think we are getting better but we could be better if our best players could get it going.
Btw I like Claussen so far, I don't see them taking him out soon.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I am floored by the what did you do for me in the last 20 minutes? Approach.

If half these guys were GMs, not a single UFA would ever want to come here. Zucc getting bashed? The dude has bled Ranger blue for his entire career. Is he struggling? Absolutely. Do I give him a leash? Hell yeah.

Meanwhile, Buch has a Zherdev night (all too common and once again, a brilliant analogy) and even though Fast or Vesey had more impactful nights, it’s all about
Potential >>> Work ethic....which is the EXACT opposite of a work-horse team (which this one is).

Loyalty means nothing. Work ethic means nothing. It’s all about possible high-end talent.

Here’s the problem with that: many players have potential, most don’t make the impact they should. Give me a player that busts his ass, over a “potentially” skilled player that never puts it together.

Loyalty gets you into major trouble in this business. That’s how contracts like Staal happen.

Zucc has sucked for most of the last season + now btw.

Reactions: jas

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think the Rangers are definitely in the process of getting ideas on who is likely to be a part of their long term plans, who is more of a short term plan, and who will likely be transitional.

Some of the core guys we’ve talked about are probably going to be here for a shorter duration than we might have originally wanted.

If I had to place bets right now, I have little doubt that Zucc is a goner.

I’d say Hayes most likely is as well.

I’m somewhat on the fence about what happens with Zibanejad. Normally I’d say he stays, if for no other reason than he’s on a good contract and is no worse than a guy who can help get you through a transition. It’s the movement clause that makes things interesting.

I think there’s a very distinct possibility that Butch is traded.

I think Kreider probably gets signed.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Kevin Hayes SUCKS. Sure he gets his points and occassionally makes some nice plays, BUT I am sick and tired of watching him give up the shot in the slot, or frankly high shooting % area, for the pass. He did it in the 3rd period against Colorado and he did it again last night in OT against Washington. Not only that, he is slow AF and shouldnt be on the ice for 3-on-3 OT. He is not a guy you win with. He just isnt. He can be a 2nd/3rd line center in this league because he will put up enough points to do so but the guy just does not come through. He doesnt.

Zucc is also not doing nearly enough. He just isnt. He comes on the ice in OT and starts switching off when the opponents criss-cross; they had been playing man-to-man and not switching off and it was working.

Kreider has looked pretty good under Quinn thus far.

Pissed we left a point on the board. Hank played pretty good again.

Reactions: nevesis

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I'm not as worried about how we looked last night as I am with players who should be standing out who aren't. I was actually impressed with how we played through 2 periods last night, and in the 3rd we didnt looks so good but that is sometimes to be expected on back to backs.
Unfortunately though, Zuc does look a step slower this year and being a small guy he needs to be fast, watching him right now he looks like a deadline deal.
Buchnevich needs to show some heart. Hes a gifted player who cant get things going because hes a bit of a push over and I believe he is too hard on himself.
Hayes needs to find some consistancy, same for Kreider. Zibanajad has turned it around so maybe these guys will too.
All in all though I think we are starting to react well to the new system and it appears to work, Colorado and Washington are two very good teams and we took 3 points out of those two games. I think we are getting better but we could be better if our best players could get it going.
Btw I like Claussen so far, I don't see them taking him out soon.

The third period was Caps Lock.

I love dad jokes! @ReggieDunlop68

Last edited:
Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad