Post-Game Talk: GDT: #7 - 10/17/18 | RANGERS @ capitals | 7:00 - NBCSN

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
didnt watch game but saw highlights seems pionk was good. no ?
He had a good game. He gets pushed around a bit by bigger forwards, but he battles and can make good outlets. Seems to be a guy who always ends up on the scoresheet.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I expected to come in here and see a lot of positive comments and all I see is negativity. This team has significantly outperformed my expectations for them and seem to really be improving, quite drastically.

First, how can you hate the coach already? His style of play is much better than AV's (especially on defense) and he has almost everyone buying into his hard nosed system. I love it.

Second, all the ragging on Zib and Kreider I just don't get. They have been wonderful the pats few games. Kreider is on like a PPG pace. He sucked in the first game or two, but both have been great since being united with Fast.

Finally, the overreactions for Chytil and Buchnevich are just insane, especially with Chytil. Why is it that whenever we have a young kid or kids, it's that they are deemed lost causes after only a few games. Chytil deserves 15-20 games to settle in. If he still looks lost, swap him with Lias, but he deserves a shot to prove himself and become acclimated to the NHL. There are very few players that jump right into the NHL and look like they belong. Frankly, Chytil has not been good, but he hasn't been awful either, which is why I'm not so concerned.

The team was really good last night and was also really good against Nashville. They look like they are improving. Quinn is really trying to get the kids playing time in important situations and has had everyone buy into his system. This season was never about winning a cup and I wish people would recognize that and appreciate the many good things that are developing.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Am I the only one who didn't think Hank had a great night? Should have had Carlson's and one of Ovi's goals. Felt he was outplayed by Holtby. Not complaining because Hank has been really good, but I see a lot of people posting Hank saving the team again. I didn't see it.

A little late to the party, but Skjei pulled a Shatty, screen Hanked and turned out of the way at the last possible second. I don't blame Hank on that goal. The one Ovi goal he should have had, but he wasn't expecting a shot there. Still should have had that one.

Reactions: Rangerfans

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yeah, Hank should have had the first Ovi goal, but the second one was not really on him. The Niskanen goal could have been handled better, IMO. I think he could have caught the initial shot.

Reactions: NCRanger

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Great job getting a point against the Caps on the road on the second of a back to back.

Not going to analyze defensive coverage in OT. It's 3 on 3. It's designed to end games.
That's true, but you're playing man to man there. Zucc needs to let Zibby handle his own guy. If he gets beat, he gets beat, but he lost his guy attempting to help out.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
A little late to the party, but Skjei pulled a Shatty, screen Hanked and turned out of the way at the last possible second. I don't blame Hank on that goal. The one Ovi goal he should have had, but he wasn't expecting a shot there. Still should have had that one.
Disagree on the Carlson goal. One D standing 10 feet in front of you isn't an effective screen. A goalie needs to look around that screen. Much more difficult when there are multiple people there.

Reactions: egelband

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Looks like he won’t take that next step this year.
What I have also liked is that Quinn has him playing in front of the goalie on the PP, and not roaming everywhere. Frankly, that's where a player of his size should be playing on the power play.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah, Hank should have had the first Ovi goal, but the second one was not really on him. The Niskanen goal could have been handled better, IMO. I think he could have caught the initial shot.

I feel like with Matt Niskanen and Brooks Orpik, you never know if they'll show up in a Caps or Pens uniform.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
What I have also liked is that Quinn has him playing in front of the goalie on the PP, and not roaming everywhere. Frankly, that's where a player of his size should be playing on the power play.

Especially since he is so effective scoring around the goal mouth.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I truly believe if McDavid or Matthews or Crosby were centering our first line and scored 120 points there would be people saying they need to be better.

Damn right, because he got 110 of those 120 points over 3 games and was a no-show for 79 games. Just terrible elite inconsistency!

Reactions: Rangerfans

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
LoSe fOR hUGhES i HOpE wE gET 25 pOInTs aLl yEAr DEvELoP tHe KiDS
Getting only 25 points doesn't get us any additional pctg. points closer to getting #1. And all this talk about Hughes......he isn't and never will be a McDavid and if he doesn't have any decent linemates he probably wouldn't be any kind of a savior. Wouldn't NOT want to get him.....but I am sure there may be a few others that would help us in 3 years or so. So why petition for LOSING right now? Promotes LOSING players mentality. Hank wouldn't EVER stand for that, nor the coach. We need to play like we have, win often enough to NOT feel like losers, but lose often enough to have a decent shot at a really good player.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Disagree on the Carlson goal. One D standing 10 feet in front of you isn't an effective screen. A goalie needs to look around that screen. Much more difficult when there are multiple people there.
That's fine to disagree, but there's a photo from last nights game showing the reverse angle. You can see where the puck is going, you can see how badly Lundqvist is screened. And moving out of the way at the last possible seconds doesn't help.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I wasn't able to catch the game. I've seen the highlights for the goals and stuff and from here it's a pretty diverse reaction overall. On page 1 Vesey absolutely sucked as compared to here on page 10 where he was noticeable and effective. haha

I was wondering how Howden looked out there? I'm hoping Quinn might try a Chytil-Howden-Buch line to see if there is any chemistry there. Did that line ever pop out at some point in the game for a shift or two?

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Despite Chytils struggles I think he still couldve walked away from this one with a couple points. TOO MANY TIMES!! Have we seen Hayes and Zucc break into prime position and try to pass to someone out the outside. Just shoot the f***ing puck guys

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Did you miss that last play before the goal against? Had a golden opportunity and tried to be too fancy by over passing to Kreider. Had a shot and didn’t take it. This is after the coaching staff told him they want him to shoot more.

He’s a stupid **** from Boston who sounds and acts like a complete troglodyte. The guy can take his long, stupid ****ing face and go hang out with Mark Wahlberg or Ben Affleck and GTFO.

I cant speak to his whole game. I watched about half.

But your reasoning is flawed. Shoot more doesnt mean never pass. He correctly read that CK had an open net. If you do pass, that's the time. He passed too hard and slightly ahead of ck by a hair imo. Ck also should've been able to compensate and pull it in. That one play does not exist in a vacuum though so maybe the rest of his game was just that bad. I dont recall it being that bad from the half I watched

Reactions: nyr2k2 and will1066

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
1. I'm not trying to trick you; there's nothing to fall for.
2. I also want to see them play hard and win.
3. There's no guarantee of picking first? No ****, I had no idea. :rolleyes:

I didn't want a rebuild. I wanted a retool. I have repeatedly said it's gross to root against your team. Straightforward **** here. To say after an overtime loss that your lottery-bound team would have been better off losing in regulation? Also seems pretty straightforward, and pretty logical. But yeah, don't fall for my stuff. I'm a tricky one!
Stuff your tricks and lies in a sack Mr. hockey-Loki.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Yeah I said the other day, there's that popular belief that New Yorkers wouldn't be patient enough for a rebuild. I always took offense to that and considered it horse****. Now I think it might actually be true. :(

The good news is that this place is in no way representative of the actual fanbase at large (for good or for ill).

No one's putting up fire x billboards or picketing outside any offices now. I think we're good. We just have a lot of people who want to hot take themselves into hockey forum superstardom here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad