Post-Game Talk: GDT: #7 - 10/17/18 | RANGERS @ capitals | 7:00 - NBCSN

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
That's fine to disagree, but there's a photo from last nights game showing the reverse angle. You can see where the puck is going, you can see how badly Lundqvist is screened. And moving out of the way at the last possible seconds doesn't help.
I agree. He was terribly screened. Not only Skjei but there were bodies in his line of sight. His glove hand was down, indicating he had no idea where the puck was.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The good news is that this place is in no way representative of the actual fanbase at large (for good or for ill).

No one's putting up fire x billboards or picketing outside any offices now. I think we're good. We just have a lot of people who want to hot take themselves into hockey forum superstardom here

I went forum undrafted. Now look at me!

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
How are you guys really this mad about this loss? We got a point against the defending cup champs and a roster that has 300% more talent than ours. The fact that we battled hard enough to keep this close and continue to fight back after giving up goals should speak volumes.

Are you guys really expecting us to win these match ups with the roster we have?

My take:

I still don't understand the Claesson situation at all. The guy is clearly an NHL defenseman; trade him. We're sitting ADA in favor of a guy whose a solid 3rd pairing defenseman on a team that's rebuilding and that needs to give the young players playing time. The signing makes no sense and neither does him being in the lineup over ADA. Handedness, matchups etc mean nothing for this current team. We should NOT be playing to win right now; we should be playing to develop and draft in the top 3. This franchise just doesn't get it.. the formula is so simple.

Do you have a roster capable of winning a cup? Yes? Cool, play to win every game and sit kids over guys like Claesson.

Does your roster have literally 0% chance of winning a cup? Yes? Cool, play the kids, trade dead weight or guys that have no way of contributing in our effective window of competitiveness in 2 or 3 years (looking at you Spooner, Names, Claesson, Staal etc) and draft high. It's been the formula for winning in this league since the lockout but we just don't seem to get it
Ada has issues so I think it makes sense to give him some games, Identify what to work on in practice and give him games off while he addresses those issues. They have a good rotation going right now with him and pionk who also needs some time. I like it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Doesn’t it bother anyone else that this “core” left over from last year are those most singled out as being terrible after every game?!?! Aside from Hank, none of the other core guys has been consistently good this year—Staal, Kreider, Hayes, Mica, Zucc, Buch, Vesey all have routinely been underperforming all year and for much of their career. I’m so confused why these were the guys management decided to keep around while others left. At some point, it’s not underperforming anymore— it’s more they are the hockey players they are and the fantasy that they will “develop” needs to be reveiwed. This is why I’m so down on this team. The “core” is a joke and I can only guess at the negative influence this will have on the development of the newer players.

I’m desperate for management to see this and make the correct moves to get assests for these guys too!

Most of the core is still moving on from the AV era, but there is some underperformance to be noted.

Kreider has been fine, people expecting him to be McDavid are out to lunch. GUy hustles, is the epitome of a hard worker, plays a tough role of constantly using front net presence, and maintains a 50-60 point pace every year
Zibanejad has also been fine. 2 points last night, a goal the night before, taking the toughest matchups. Zib is fine.
Staal is trash, but we know this. Rangers are using him as an anchor for the d corps, but that's going to change half way through the season
Buchnevich, I don't klnow what his deal is. It's frustrating to watch because he does have talent, but it's possible this is waht he is

Vesey, Spooner, and Names were given bridge deals for the exact reasons everyone has stated. They are replaceable middle-six pieces who are more or less gone at one of the two upcoming trade deadlines. Perhaps one of them gets kept for intangibles or complimentary winger purposes (probably Names), but beyond that, these guys are a short term problem and a long term nothing worst case scenario...

I think the Rangers are definitely in the process of getting ideas on who is likely to be a part of their long term plans, who is more of a short term plan, and who will likely be transitional.

Some of the core guys we’ve talked about are probably going to be here for a shorter duration than we might have originally wanted.

If I had to place bets right now, I have little doubt that Zucc is a goner.

I’d say Hayes most likely is as well.

I’m somewhat on the fence about what happens with Zibanejad. Normally I’d say he stays, if for no other reason than he’s on a good contract and is no worse than a guy who can help get you through a transition. It’s the movement clause that makes things interesting.

I think there’s a very distinct possibility that Butch is traded.

I think Kreider probably gets signed.

I would agree with basically all of these moves.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I also don't understand why they are ruining Chytil, he needs to be dominating in AHL playing 20 minutes in all situations and I don't understand Buchnevich playing only 10 minutes. This coach has issues. and the GM has issues and is clearly not addressing them and not making the trades he needs to make.

Also only 14 hits? Wasn't this coach going to make sure they finish checks? Or was it make sure they cash checks?
I think you are wrong in almost everything you said here for so many obvious reasons.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Pionk had a horrendous first period defensively but settled down after that.

3 assist game is always good though. Had everything to do with the first and third goals. 2nd was a bit of a lucky bounce, but whatever.

Reactions: haveandare

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I cant speak to his whole game. I watched about half.

But your reasoning is flawed. Shoot more doesnt mean never pass. He correctly read that CK had an open net. If you do pass, that's the time. He passed too hard and slightly ahead of ck by a hair imo. Ck also should've been able to compensate and pull it in. That one play does not exist in a vacuum though so maybe the rest of his game was just that bad. I dont recall it being that bad from the half I watched
Hayes had an initial opening to shoot, which he probably should have taken. He didn't, which is whatever, he often holds the puck too long. But then, he did have Kreider, who if the pass was perfect (or Kreider was prepared for it--didn't look like he was), it's a tap in. Overall I had no real problem with the play. I would have preferred a shot, but in general I understand Hayes is more of a pass-first guy.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
In 7 games, Krieder has 4 goals and 6 points. How is it that he needs to turn something around as Zibanejad has?

Shift to shift I mean and night to night. He does positive things most games but all too often goes invisible for large stretches of the games. He doesn't skate like he should every shift and you see bursts from time to time of his speed but not every shift. Zibanajad the last couple games has been consistant each shift, you notice when hes out there as you should. If Kreider worked as hard as Fast or Letterri he could easily be in the top 10 in scoring. Watch Taylor Hall sometime and see what Kreider should be. I love Kreider but hes underachieving for his skill set, size and speed.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
Loyalty gets you into major trouble in this business. That’s how contracts like Staal happen.

Zucc has sucked for most of the last season + now btw.

You make a valid point in a sense: loyalty can get you into major trouble in this business. Because - no matter what - it is a business.

With that being said, loyalty is important. You are forgetting so many players - Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, Brian Boyle, Ryan Callahan, etc. - have all bled for this team. The amount of punishment they have bestowed upon themselves for this team is truly remarkable.

They don’t do it for the team. They do it for their careers. One may argue this.

I completely disagree. I was never a NY Jets fans. Ever. I never cared about Rutgers football, field hockey, lacrosse, I had no idea Monmouth University even had a basketball team.

You receive these contracts and you start working on the players, you start acclimating yourself with the staff, you develop friendships with the security team, the passionate food personnel, you see the same people all the time and it becomes a community, it becomes a family.

It is a lot more intricate. It’s not so black and white.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Shift to shift I mean and night to night. He does positive things most games but all too often goes invisible for large stretches of the games. He doesn't skate like he should every shift and you see bursts from time to time of his speed but not every shift. Zibanajad the last couple games has been consistant each shift, you notice when hes out there as you should. If Kreider worked as hard as Fast or Letterri he could easily be in the top 10 in scoring. Watch Taylor Hall sometime and see what Kreider should be. I love Kreider but hes underachieving for his skill set, size and speed.

That's just who Kreider is. He's 27 now, it's very unlikely he's going to turn a huge corner at this point. I think he has come a long way from his first years in the league where he often looked just lost out there without the puck and stood around watching the play, but he's not Taylor Hall and he'll never be Taylor Hall. He doesn't have Taylor Hall's skills or his feel for the game.

Again I feel like every time this comes up about Kreider people attribute skills to him that he doesn't have...he's got fast straight away speed and strength but he's not fast with the puck while weaving through traffic ala McDavid or Hall, he doesn't have the hands to be a primary puck carrier, he's not a sniper with his shot...it's hard and he releases it fast but he doesnt' have the accuracy to be a true danger with it. He's just not a super star skillset being held back by underachieving. If he worked as hard as Fast or whoever, he wouldn't be top 10 in scoring, he's not that skilled.

I think he actually had an excellent game last night....he was in on the puck all the time, caused turnovers, protected it very well in the offensive zone and kept the cycle going, and of course scored two goals. That forecheck and cycle stuff is what I want to see him do more of and hopefully that's what the coaches will get out of him, but it's not going to turn him into a top 10 forward.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
We have a bunch of D that can’t defend... Pionk, ADA, Kirk and even Skjei great w the puck.

How do they get it?

Our forwards blow at defending also. Short breakout passes are hard to make when everyone is at the red line

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Our forwards blow at defending also. Short breakout passes are hard to make when everyone is at the red line

I think that's something leftover from AV that this coaching staff is going to have to work to change. I think they've been better at it.

Yes we know the current D sucks though, not sure why people keep pointing this out like it's something new.

Reactions: jas

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I think that's something leftover from AV that this coaching staff is going to have to work to change. I think they've been better at it.

Yes we know the current D sucks though, not sure why people keep pointing this out like it's something new.
Merely stating that for all the puck movers, which is great, we have no one to get the puck. Staal is a statue... Smith? Ok defending but doesn’t win a lot of battles.

It’s like trying to carve a turkey with a bunch of spoons

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Merely stating that for all the puck movers, which is great, we have no one to get the puck. Staal is a statue... Smith? Ok defending but doesn’t win a lot of battles.

It’s like trying to carve a turkey with a bunch of spoons
Yeah it's going to be something that the team needs going forward. Needing players like Hajek, Lindgren, Miller, etc to be better at it than some of the guys currently on the team

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
That's just who Kreider is. He's 27 now, it's very unlikely he's going to turn a huge corner at this point. I think he has come a long way from his first years in the league where he often looked just lost out there without the puck and stood around watching the play, but he's not Taylor Hall and he'll never be Taylor Hall. He doesn't have Taylor Hall's skills or his feel for the game.

Again I feel like every time this comes up about Kreider people attribute skills to him that he doesn't have...he's got fast straight away speed and strength but he's not fast with the puck while weaving through traffic ala McDavid or Hall, he doesn't have the hands to be a primary puck carrier, he's not a sniper with his shot...it's hard and he releases it fast but he doesnt' have the accuracy to be a true danger with it. He's just not a super star skillset being held back by underachieving. If he worked as hard as Fast or whoever, he wouldn't be top 10 in scoring, he's not that skilled.

I think he actually had an excellent game last night....he was in on the puck all the time, caused turnovers, protected it very well in the offensive zone and kept the cycle going, and of course scored two goals. That forecheck and cycle stuff is what I want to see him do more of and hopefully that's what the coaches will get out of him, but it's not going to turn him into a top 10 forward.

I disagree, ofcourse we will never find out because he just isnt going to go full out all game. Hall is essentially the same type player, a better shot I'll give you that but he isnt a dangle either but he keeps his feet moving all night. Straight ahead speed with physical play are their two best attributes. Kreider has to decide hes gonna dictate play instead of react to it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I love Kreider but hes underachieving for his skill set, size and speed.
Again, what is it that you are looking for? 7 games, 6 points 4 games. Power play goals from right in front of goaltender.

He is NOT Taylor Hall. But he isn't the only one. Many, many players are not Hall. His skill set is far above Kreider's. What Quinn is doing is getting him to use all of what he does have in a more assertive way.

Reactions: jas

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Entertaining game but frustrating outcome. OTL is the worst possible outcome this season.

Could have won with an even average PK. I like a lot of the strategy changes so far but the PK was horrendous last night - Ovechkin was alone with tons of room on both of his goals. You can’t leave him like that.

Pionk was very good with the puck and solid defensively in the second and third for the most part. Buch needs minutes imo and confidence, he’s overthinking again. He looked good on the point in preseason - has he been there since?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Zucc is just fine, he has 5 points in 7 games, works hard as usual and Quinn plays him 20-25 mins a game.

He's due for a goal though, but it's not that important as long as he is a productive playmaker.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Entertaining game but frustrating outcome. OTL is the worst possible outcome this season.

Could have won with an even average PK. I like a lot of the strategy changes so far but the PK was horrendous last night - Ovechkin was alone with tons of room on both of his goals. You can’t leave him like that.

Pionk was very good with the puck and solid defensively in the second and third for the most part. Buch needs minutes imo and confidence, he’s overthinking again. He looked good on the point in preseason - has he been there since?[/QU

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Pionk was very good with the puck and solid defensively in the second and third for the most part. Buch needs minutes imo and confidence, he’s overthinking again. He looked good on the point in preseason - has he been there since?

The PK is going to suck this year. It doesn't matter if its Washington or Detroit, it is going to get roasted this year.

Sending Staal and Zucc out there at the same time is just asking to get scored on (Staal, for all his horribleness, was actually quite good on the PK last night and pretty good overall, easily his best game of the year.)

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Their PK does need to improve but the Caps make everybodys PK look like crap. It's hard to defend and Ovechkin continues to shoot lasers. They have one of the best PP's every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->