Post-Game Talk: GDT: #7 - 10/17/18 | RANGERS @ capitals | 7:00 - NBCSN

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
That's fine to disagree, but there's a photo from last nights game showing the reverse angle. You can see where the puck is going, you can see how badly Lundqvist is screened. And moving out of the way at the last possible seconds doesn't help.

You realize that its the goalies job to fight through screens? A single body should never hinder a goalie from seeing the puck, especially when he is not directly in front of the goalie. In this situation, Hank had plenty of time to set and move his view around the screen. I'm not saying it was an atrocious goal, but it wasn't great either. Point being that many here are continuing the narrative that the only reason the Rangers have or ever will, win, is because of Hank, which is nonsense. This has been proven false over and over again.

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You realize that its the goalies job to fight through screens? A single body should never hinder a goalie from seeing the puck, especially when he is not directly in front of the goalie. In this situation, Hank had plenty of time to set and move his view around the screen. I'm not saying it was an atrocious goal, but it wasn't great either. Point being that many here are continuing the narrative that the only reason the Rangers have or ever will, win, is because of Hank, which is nonsense. This has been proven false over and over again.

Wasn’t just 1 body.

There were 2 layers of screens.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Wasn’t just 1 body.

There were 2 layers of screens.

Not from what I saw. Either way, not a great goal, not terrible. Just trying to keep things in perspective with Hank, which is a tough thing around here.

Now, if Hank can keep up the level of play all year, I think he can be talked about as a top 5 goalie once again. So far, so good, but we haven't seen him do it consistently for years.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

If you mean the couple of games we won this year, there's certainly no proof as you can only speculate what another goalie does. If by False you're talking about the Rangers being carried by him in previous seasons, then you're out to lunch.

You seem to think there wasn't much of a screen here. That's fine. I'm not going to try and change your mind.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
If you mean the couple of games we won this year, there's certainly no proof as you can only speculate what another goalie does. If by False you're talking about the Rangers being carried by him in previous seasons, then you're out to lunch.

You seem to think there wasn't much of a screen here. That's fine. I'm not going to try and change your mind.

Teams don't get to multiple ECL and a Stanley Cup Final riding the back of a goalie consistently. They were a good team.
What we do know, though, is that when Hank went out with injury for extended periods of time, his back up stepped in and performed better. Yes, I know the arguments about why this happened, I just don't buy them.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Again, what is it that you are looking for? 7 games, 6 points 4 games. Power play goals from right in front of goaltender.

He is NOT Taylor Hall. But he isn't the only one. Many, many players are not Hall. His skill set is far above Kreider's. What Quinn is doing is getting him to use all of what he does have in a more assertive way.

I want him to fulfill his potential and stop lazily skating around the ice. Games that he is engaged he is one of the best players on the ice, we only see that 1 in 6 games though. The whole team is better when he uses his speed to back the d off the line or chase them down on the forecheck, it opens up space for everyone. He talks like he wants to be a leader on the team but doesn't show it on the ice. If a guy with his size and speed played like Fast he would be hard to stop. There is no excuse for him to not give his all each shift...that's what I want from him,he's not giving it no matter what his point totals are right now.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
They've cut down on the stretch passes so we're not seeing him fly down the left wing

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
again I thought Kreider played a good game last night and is doing the things people claim they want to see him do. He used his speed to get in quick on guys with the puck and generated several turnovers in the Rangers offensive zone that way, he used his size to protect the puck very effectively, he generated and sustained the cycle, he scored two goals...what do we realistically want out of this guy? I feel like people are past the point of objectively evaluating his game sometimes

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I want him to fulfill his potential and stop lazily skating around the ice. Games that he is engaged he is one of the best players on the ice, we only see that 1 in 6 games though. The whole team is better when he uses his speed to back the d off the line or chase them down on the forecheck, it opens up space for everyone. He talks like he wants to be a leader on the team but doesn't show it on the ice. If a guy with his size and speed played like Fast he would be hard to stop. There is no excuse for him to not give his all each shift...that's what I want from him,he's not giving it no matter what his point totals are right now.
Seems to me there is a mismatch between what he is doing and what you believe is him being lazy. His skating is very, very fast straight line. But it slows down when he has the puck. That's just the way it is.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Seems to me there is a mismatch between what he is doing and what you believe is him being lazy. His skating is very, very fast straight line. But it slows down when he has the puck. That's just the way it is.

No disconnect. I want him fast without the puck too but isnt always the way. Hes not using the tools to his advantage. I'm not confusing anything with lazy play other than lazy hockey. Skating hard for 30 or 40 percent of a game is unacceptable.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Not from what I saw. Either way, not a great goal, not terrible. Just trying to keep things in perspective with Hank, which is a tough thing around here.

Now, if Hank can keep up the level of play all year, I think he can be talked about as a top 5 goalie once again. So far, so good, but we haven't seen him do it consistently for years.

There was skjei and then buchnevich and I think Eller in front of him

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Teams don't get to multiple ECL and a Stanley Cup Final riding the back of a goalie consistently. They were a good team.
What we do know, though, is that when Hank went out with injury for extended periods of time, his back up stepped in and performed better. Yes, I know the arguments about why this happened, I just don't buy them.
The Rangers were a good team that was elevated because of their elite goalie.

There were a bunch of teams at the Rangers same level while we were contending (2012-2015) that didn’t come close to our success in that window. St Louis, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Philly, Anaheim all spring to mind as good teams that didn’t make it as far in that time span as we did. They were all as good of not better but we had Hank. He is the catalyst that got us as close to
Cups as he did without him were a bubble team all of those years, first or second round fodder. I’m not even trying to blow smoke up his butt, that’s just the truth.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

There were a bunch of teams at the Rangers same level while we were contending (2012-2015) that didn’t come close to our success in that window. St Louis, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Philly, Anaheim all spring to mind as good teams that didn’t make it as far in that time span as we did. They were all as good of not better but we had Hank. He is the catalyst that got us as close to
Cups as he did without him were a bubble team all of those years, first or second round fodder. I’m not even trying to blow smoke up his butt, that’s just the truth.

He's part of the team, same as Crosby, Doughty Bergeron etc..without those guys they dont get there either, it really doesn't matter. We spent more on a goalie while others spent their cap in other areas. We are all playing with the same deck just using different cards.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Their PK does need to improve but the Caps make everybodys PK look like crap. It's hard to defend and Ovechkin continues to shoot lasers. They have one of the best PP's every year.
Yeah it’s not giving up goals that’s the problem it’s just that they gave him a ton of space over and over. If you cover him decently and he scores anyway, so it goes, but tteated him like any other player over there. Can’t really do that and expect to win against the caps.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

There are teams every year that exceed expectations while other, seemingly equally talented, teams don't. Last season, the Caps weren't any more talented than a number of other teams. Ovi was great last year, some would say that he was the catalyst. The difference is that Caps fans don't continually say that Ovi was the only reason they got to where they did. The real difference is that Ovi has his name on the Cup and Hank doesn't.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
I mean no disrespect (sincerely), but that is a terrible analogy.

It was more tongue in cheek that Hank is on that similar path of playing brilliantly and getting no support. Certainly not literally like DeGrom and his historically great season.

Reactions: Rangerfans

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Thank you. Hank can peek around a screen. It was a slapper from the point. Everyone knew it was coming. Good shot. Tough to save. All fair comments. But to hang shit on Skjei is nonsense. And I bet Henrik didnt blame Skjei either.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No disconnect. I want him fast without the puck too but isnt always the way. Hes not using the tools to his advantage. I'm not confusing anything with lazy play other than lazy hockey. Skating hard for 30 or 40 percent of a game is unacceptable.
I do not view him as dogging it for 60% of the game

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I do not view him as dogging it for 60% of the game

He's a long way down the list of why we aren't good but he's pretty invisible a lot of times. I'm not picking on him but I had hoped after the way he finished last year he would continue that play, the other night was a step forward but I need to see that for a number of nights in a row. Hes not bad but he isnt as good as he should be is basically what I'm saying. Hayes is heading down that road now too. If we are to accelerate the rebuild, Hayes, Kreider , Buchnevich and Skjei all have to take the next step and be the leaders of the team, none of them have done that just yet.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's a long way down the list of why we aren't good but he's pretty invisible a lot of times. I'm not picking on him but I had hoped after the way he finished last year he would continue that play, the other night was a step forward but I need to see that for a number of nights in a row. Hes not bad but he isnt as good as he should be is basically what I'm saying. Hayes is heading down that road now too.
I understand what you are saying, but to me you are trying to make Brandon Dubinsky into Eric Lindros. Krieder is exactly what he is. A legit top line player, who does have his limitations. That does not mean he is not trying. It means that he has his limitations. To say that he should be Taylor Hall is not realistic. Why not then state that Zbad should be Toews or Malkin?

Reactions: klingsor

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
The problem with Rangers fans and expectations of the roster is that we've never had "our guy." No matter who or where we've drafted in this era (ignoring Lundqvist of course) the Rangers haven't had a single player break out into a star. So every time a prospect gets hyped people start hoping this will be the one, and are inevitably let down by the results. Kreider is the best example of this. Stepan another, McDonagh another, and Buchnevich will probably get added to that list. The former 3 all great players, just not the elite talent people were hoping for, despite Stepan being an all around better player than some of the players people wished he was.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

He's human skating full blast every shift is impossible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad