Post-Game Talk: GDT: #7 - 10/17/18 | RANGERS @ capitals | 7:00 - NBCSN

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
They should be shaming Hank for stopping so many.

I am floored by the what did you do for me in the last 20 minutes? Approach.

If half these guys were GMs, not a single UFA would ever want to come here. Zucc getting bashed? The dude has bled Ranger blue for his entire career. Is he struggling? Absolutely. Do I give him a leash? Hell yeah.

Meanwhile, Buch has a Zherdev night (all too common and once again, a brilliant analogy) and even though Fast or Vesey had more impactful nights, it’s all about
Potential >>> Work ethic....which is the EXACT opposite of a work-horse team (which this one is).

Loyalty means nothing. Work ethic means nothing. It’s all about possible high-end talent.

Here’s the problem with that: many players have potential, most don’t make the impact they should. Give me a player that busts his ass, over a “potentially” skilled player that never puts it together.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I explained before that had the Rangers just stank it up to about 2009 while Hank was hitting his prime, we would of had a cup.

Instead we had to augment his play with mercenaries.

Look everyone is mincing my words. I just want the cup, and I'm being clear in my argument. This is getting into PT Barnum territory.
I'm with you brother, I want a cup too. I'm slightly too young to remember 94. My formative memories are the dark ages, where I literally thought I was the curse that kept the Rangers out of the playoffs.

But actually...maybe those formative years are the reason I think the way I do. I vowed after all those years that I would always love and respect a Rangers player who played their ass off for the team, no matter the result, unlike the Kamensky's, the Lefebvre's, the Driver's, the Hatcher's, the Hebert's of years past. That's why I will forever love Cally, Girardi, Dubinsky, McDonagh, etc. even long after most in our fanbase have turned against them.

Putting that aside, to your first point...would we have won a cup had we just sucked in Hank's first few years. Would we? I mean, look at the top picks those years.

2007: if you don't pick 1 and get Kane, you're not getting much special (unless you are lucky as hell and recognize that Voracek is the only other superstar).
2008: Stamkos and Doughty go 1 & 2, and they can change your franchise. But if you don't pick top-2, you just have to get lucky in thinking that Karlsson is the best player available because no other player in the first round changes your team's fortunes
2009: Same as 2008, with Tavares and Hedman at 1/2, but different in that there's no Karlsson in the middle of the first round
2010: Ditto with Hall/Seguin, but to a lesser extent. Kuznetsov is there late, but a moot point because the Rangers could have drafted him as it stands now.

I mean...if we picked literally 1st or 2nd all four of those years, then sure. Maybe we win a cup. But NO TEAM in the NHL picked top 2 all four of those years. Even with the most successful of tanks, you might get the bad luck of the lottery. I just don't see this as an argument for us tanking. I think our approach ended up with us being more successful, but of course there is no way to know for sure.

Metranger

May 22, 2015

If half these guys were GMs, not a single UFA would ever want to come here. Zucc getting bashed? The dude has bled Ranger blue for his entire career. Is he struggling? Absolutely. Do I give him a leash? Hell yeah.

Meanwhile, Buch has a Zherdev night (all too common and once again, a brilliant analogy) and even though Fast or Vesey had more impactful nights, it’s all about
Potential >>> Work ethic....which is the EXACT opposite of a work-horse team (which this one is).

Loyalty means nothing. Work ethic means nothing. It’s all about possible high-end talent.

Here’s the problem with that: many players have potential, most don’t make the impact they should. Give me a player that busts his ass, over a “potentially” skilled player that never puts it together.
Do you sometimes think that it's up to the coaches to put their players in the best position to succeed?

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
Do you sometimes think that it's up to the coaches to put their players in the best position to succeed?

Of course it is. But do you think there ‘might’ be a glaring issue when 2 coaches start to bench a player for their compete level?

Let’s be honest: that benching had the complete opposite effect. Sorry, but this is the NHL, earn your role.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
The team played great tonight. The puck luck wasn't there. They generated a lot of chances and they will start to capitalize on that eventually. They could have easily scored 6 goals tonight.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Ideally, you get the best of both worlds: a high-end talent player that busts his ass all the time (Crosby is the extreme example, along with Forsberg, Messier, Chelios, Howe, etc., but for perhaps more realistic examples, see Toews, Kucherov, Fleury, Iginla, Shanahan, etc.). But otherwise, I totally agree with you. I had to grow up with 7 years of "talented" players that couldn't give a damn about whether we won or lost. Then I had an era of Betts, Moore, Straka, Girardi, Callahan, Dubinsky, etc...and I f***ing loved it. I'll take that every day of the week.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
No regulation wins and we've had a lead in a 3rd period for about 35 seconds.

To be fair, one could argue that our top line is probably a second-line at best on most teams.

We truly lack the talent level. I feel like this team tries real hard, but I often am confused when people complain when we can’t score. Our roster is unbelievably weak.

We are EXACTLY what was going to be projected: a tough team to play against that will lost more than they win.

So when we do just that, why do people get frustrated?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Of course it is. But do you think there ‘might’ be a glaring issue when 2 coaches start to bench a player for their compete level?

Let’s be honest: that benching had the complete opposite effect. Sorry, but this is the NHL, earn your role.

Yeah it makes you wonder when that Twilight zone ending, if ever, will hit them...

The coach wants to win, so he plays his best players, yet if Buch were their best player, he would be playing, so that means...

It's a cookbook!!!!!!!!!!

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
Yeah it makes you wonder when that Twilight zone ending, if ever, will hit them...

The coach wants to win, so he plays his best players, yet if Buch were their best player, he would be playing, so that means...

It's a cookbook!!!!!!!!!!

He’s a bad coach. The arrogance of that statement. I couldn’t coach a peewee team, let alone an NHL team.

Buchnevich is one of those players who has moments of brilliance where you’re like, why can’t you even remotely put that together?!

How many Ranger players have we seen that has all the potential (e.g. Kreider) who can’t seem to put it all together? It’s not the coaching staff — especially when we have gone through Renney, Torts, AV, and now Quinn. Do people realize that this is the highest level of play? There is nothing higher than the NHL. As much as people shit on Marc Staal he would utterly decimate every single person here.

I work with professional athletes. I have such respect for any athlete to even make it REMOTELY close to the NHL. A journeyman AHLer? They’re filthy.

My point being is that there have been many players in all sports, in all leagues, who were brilliant in another league but couldn’t make it in “the big leagues” or they weren’t as impactful as people assumed...

...that might be the Buchnevich’s and Kreider’s of the team. It happens. Statistically to even make the NHL? Unreal.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The concept of hiring a great coach constantly eludes this team. The perfect coach for rebuild would have been Paul McLean he would have made them play the right way, play physical and work hard, and finish all their checks. The guy we got is all talk and no action.
Rangers are 3rd overall in Hits, Blocks, and Takeaways.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
He’s a bad coach. The arrogance of that statement. I couldn’t coach a peewee team, let alone an NHL team.

Buchnevich is one of those players who has moments of brilliance where you’re like, why can’t you even remotely put that together?!

How many Ranger players have we seen that has all the potential (e.g. Kreider) who can’t seem to put it all together? It’s not the coaching staff — especially when we have gone through Renney, Torts, AV, and now Quinn. Do people realize that this is the highest level of play? There is nothing higher than the NHL. As much as people **** on Marc Staal he would utterly decimate every single person here.

I work with professional athletes. I have such respect for any athlete to even make it REMOTELY close to the NHL. A journeyman AHLer? They’re filthy.

My point being is that there have been many players in all sports, in all leagues, who were brilliant in another league but couldn’t make it in “the big leagues” or they weren’t as impactful as people assumed...

...that might be the Buchnevich’s and Kreider’s of the team. It happens. Statistically to even make the NHL? Unreal.
The worst D1 hockey player would humiliate almost everyone on these boards with his/her eyes closed (excluding those on these boards who actually played at that level). I play a ton of tennis these days, and it's even easier to see the difference in skill sets with an individual sport like that. I play guys who serve 110mph and can hit "monster" forehands (and I myself am in that boat). Some of these guys legitimately think they can win a game against someone like Federer or Nadal. Those guys don't understand that if someone in the top 1000 in the world actually cared enough to try 100% (let alone someone like Roger, Rafa, Novak, etc.), they wouldn't win one point in 20 thousand. No exaggeration. The best shot I've ever hit in my life is something Roger Federer would hit 20k/20k times while warming up without even trying or thinking about it. The skill of the professionals, especially those who are top 1000 in the world at what they do, is unfathomable to anyone who hasn't had first-hand experience at that level.

Last edited:

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
The worst D1 hockey player would humiliate almost everyone on these boards with his/her eyes closed (excluding those on these boards who actually played at that level). I play a ton of tennis these days, and it's even easier to see the difference in skill sets with an individual sport like that. I play guys who serve 110mph and can hit "monster" forehands (and I myself am in that boat). Some of these guys legitimately think they can win a game against someone like Federer or Nadal. Those guys don't understand that if someone in the top 100 in the world actually cared enough to try 100%, they wouldn't win one point in 20 thousand. The skill of the professionals, especially those who are top 1000 in the world at what they do, is unfathomable to anyone who hasn't had first-hand experience at that level.

I completely agree. I work with professional athletes as a massage therapist and am currently receiving my doctorate to further my career. I thought I was a good track runner in high school and college because I qualified at the National level (barely).

Then I would get utterly smoked and decimated by true athletes. It’s not just their strength, speed, etc. it’s their iq within the game, it’s their ability to read the game and see things so far ahead before it even happens. It’s remarkable. Wasn’t it Stamkos who can literally describe with unbelievable detail goals that occurred like 5 years ago? That can’t be taught.

What separates the skill of a journeyman NHLer and the skills of a journeyman AHLer is not as far off as people believe.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

How many Ranger players have we seen that has all the potential (e.g. Kreider) who can’t seem to put it all together? It’s not the coaching staff — especially when we have gone through Renney, Torts, AV, and now Quinn. Do people realize that this is the highest level of play? There is nothing higher than the NHL. As much as people **** on Marc Staal he would utterly decimate every single person here.

It's hard for people to fathom that as shitty as Tanner Glass is compared to NHL players, 99.99999% of the world is even shittier at hockey than Tanner Glass.

It's humbling.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan

You make many valid points, but this IS Hockey's Future - of course people are going to love potential. It's a site built around discussing younger guys and prospects.

Reactions: Rangerfans

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4