GDT: GDT #34 Pittsburgh Penguins vs New York Islanders | December 27th | 7:30 PM | F/L 7-0

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I'm viewing last night as an aberration. We know we're going to need to score a bunch of goals to win games while we're hurt, but last night no one looked good, even Barzy was gifting the Pens the puck and not backchecking.

I suspect this isn't the beginning of a slide but rather a refocusing after an embarrassing performance.

We do still need to get healthy
The Isles are still losing more games than they won. If it wasn't for the OT point they'd be in pretty bad shape right now. They gotta fix the D situation and I don't think getting all our D men back will completely solve the issue. It will be better but what happened last night and all those late game collapses are warning signs that something is very wrong with the D system.

Reactions: MattMartin

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
The Isles are still losing more games than they won. If it wasn't for the OT point they'd be in pretty bad shape right now. They gotta fix the D situation and I don't think getting all our D men back will completely solve the issue. It will be better but what happened last night and all those late game collapses are warning signs that something is very wrong with the D system.

'If it wasn't for the games we got points we'd be in trouble' is a dumb argument. You got the points. You played well enough to get them.

You're down half your d corps and we got our ass kicked. That hasn't been the normal since our guys went down.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
'If it wasn't for the games we got points we'd be in trouble' is a dumb argument. You got the points. You played well enough to get them.

You're down half your d corps and we got our ass kicked. That hasn't been the normal since our guys went down.
If your not getting it they lost every one of those games in which they got 1 point. That's not something you hang your hat on.

Last edited:

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
If your not getting it they lost everyone of those games in which they got 1 point. That's not something you hang your hat on.
Back in the day....they didn't.

It is really a false win in my book more than a loss.

I would welcome the return of the tie with open arms as it is much more a true reflection than a win or a loss.

PolishPrince21

Mar 4, 2015
LI
Back in the day....they didn't.

It is really a false win in my book more than a loss.

I would welcome the return of the tie with open arms as it is much more a true reflection than a win or a loss.
The thing is though they gave the point for the OT loss eventually because many times the teams wouldn’t risk losing in OT and get nothing so they would play conservative to keep the point so they wanted the play to open up and remember it was 5-5 for a long time before 4-4.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I'm fine with it. While I still enjoy the occasional fight, I do not need to see teams goon it up simply because they are being embarrassed on the scoreboard. Couple that with the threat of concussion and it's not difficult to see why hitting dudes in the head with fists is trending downward.

Now they just need to get away from feeling the need to "stand up for their teammate" after every freaking big, CLEAN hit. That drives me crazy. Act like a pro, suck it up and move on.

Speaking of acting like a pro, I watched the new Barry Sanders doc. Highly recommend.
That’s a byproduct of hitting being deemphasized at the younger levels. Now, big clean hit is rare vs the normal course of the game, so it gets more attention from the players.

No one is saying goon it up Gillies style bc of the blowout, more Webb style hitting to at least show a pulse and remind the team they are physically paying for kicking their butts. That part of the game is near its end. The current players would rather just accept the whopping, play some PlayStation at night, and okay the next game.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

What happened to all the pro-Lambert propaganda?

Reactions: MJF

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
That’s a byproduct of hitting being deemphasized at the younger levels. Now, big clean hit is rare vs the normal course of the game, so it gets more attention from the players.

No one is saying goon it up Gillies style bc of the blowout, more Webb style hitting to at least show a pulse and remind the team they are physically paying for kicking their butts. That part of the game is near its end. The current players would rather just accept the whopping, play some PlayStation at night, and okay the next game.
Why do you think that hitting is being deemphasized at the younger levels? That has not been my experience at all. I currently have a kid in youth hockey. ALL players once they go into bantams are required to learn body checking. Players have to attend checking clinics and most coaches demand it from all players. Obviously hitting from behind or head shots are not allowed. But USA Hockey definitely encourages checking.

Webb style hitting was running around like a chicken with your head cut off and being out of position. And the only time I ever really saw that was the 2001 playoffs. Not during a ho-hum blowout in December.

I get what you're saying - the game is changing in terms of the rough stuff. Most for the better IMO (not all). But checking ain't going anywhere.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Bolduc a minus 1 in his last 5 for whatever that's worth.
Considering the number of goals we give up that -1 does not look bad at all.

Sad part is really it’s Bolduc more as issue, he does everything so soft.
At times. I've seen every one of his games and most nights Bolduc has been more solid than his defense partner. In terms of Bolduc's development I think he's right where he should be. He's cut down the number of mistakes in his end. Next he'll learn when to jump up on a play.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Considering the number of goals we give up that -1 does not look bad at all.

At times. I've seen every one of his games and most nights Bolduc has been more solid than his defense partner. In terms of Bolduc's development I think he's right where he should be. He's cut down the number of mistakes in his end. Next he'll learn when to jump up on a play.

There is a reason why forwards develop faster than defenseman and defenseman develop faster than goalies. The mistakes a forward make are typically going to be less costly than what a defenseman makes and so on.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
There is a reason why forwards develop faster than defenseman and defenseman develop faster than goalies. The mistakes a forward make are typically going to be less costly than what a defenseman makes and so on.
Also, it's hard to hide a defenseman when you only carry 6 per game. The mistakes get magnified because he is usually the 2nd to last guy back. And for whatever reason taller defenseman seem to take a bit longer on the curve than guys who are 6'1". Kind of like watching a young colt get used to his legs. Bolduc is 6'4". You be extra patient with a guy like that who possesses the cannon he has.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Also, it's hard to hide a defenseman when you only carry 6 per game. The mistakes get magnified because he is usually the 2nd to last guy back. And for whatever reason taller defenseman seem to take a bit longer on the curve than guys who are 6'1". Kind of like watching a young colt get used to his legs. Bolduc is 6'4". You be extra patient with a guy like that who possesses the cannon he has.

In no way am I saying his trajectory will be similar to Pulock/Pelech/Mayfield/Dobson but you would think by this point we would all understand you need to be patient with defensemen. Hamonic is one of the last guys I remember for the Isles coming up and looking good from day 1. However, he came up in a culture of losing and mistakes not being as magnified as they are for a consistent playoff team.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
What happened to all the pro-Lambert propaganda?
It's exactly where it's always been. He's doing a great job on offense, the PP, player management a shift that occurred not surprisingly after a number of fans booed his performance a few weeks back. Before that like everyone else I thought he should probably be on his way out if things did't change and I admit I was very vocal about it. However, clearly things on the offensive side of things improved drastically in the past few weeks and I'm in full support with what he's doing there. The D has always been a problem and I'm willing to give him time to fix this but if he can't adjust or things don't improve I don't have a fan allegiance to anyone and I would say his job should be at risk.

This is the level headed response I would have expected people took with Snow. Recognize that while he needed to go there was not a need to lay all this hate on the guy. He did a lot of good for the current team that was being built from the moment he took the job and that good is still present on the roster we have today. As for Lou, I always liked him but for sure if he's not doing a good job he'd have to go as well. Doesn't mean I have to hate the guy or take out some personal vendetta against any fan who supported him. Eh?

As for propaganda. I don't play that game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad