GDT: GDT #34 Pittsburgh Penguins vs New York Islanders | December 27th | 7:30 PM | F/L 7-0

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It was bound to happen with Mayfield and P&P out at some point.
To me the only difference between this game and some of the others is that this was their first no-show performance of the season. There was no scrap in them to try to get back in the game.

We've been winning games during the absence of 3, 6, and 24 but the same defensive problems were there in some of those wins...mostly theinability to kill penalties and failure to clear guys away from our goalies' doorstep, giving them 2 or 3 whacks at the puck before they finally score. Those issues had been masked by our power play being on a heater. Last night it all came to a head.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
To me the only difference between this game and some of the others is that this was their first no-show performance of the season. There was no scrap in them to try to get back in the game.

We've been winning games during the absence of 3, 6, and 24 but the same defensive problems were there in some of those wins...mostly theinability to kill penalties and failure to clear guys away from our goalies' doorstep, giving them 2 or 3 whacks at the puck before they finally score. Those issues had been masked by our power play being on a heater. Last night it all came to a head.
Isles PK played great last night....

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Odd for folks to think this was one bad game. We were horrible against the Habs and Canes. Caps beat us up in period one of that game as well. I get the travel piece but- we got worked by the Canes and last night had about 7 shots through 30 minutes.

Reactions: ekill08x and MJF

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I miss back in the day when the game was physical, either your team would jump start some emotion with hits or a scrap to change momentum or even if you were getting blown out as a fan you got entertained with physical play.

Press box Matty Marts and no more Ross the Boss.

Hate to call upon first liner Lee to shoulder that burden all the time now...

Reactions: ekill08x

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Too much booze, eggnog, and prime rib at Borreli's.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
It was bound to happen with Mayfield and P&P out at some point.
The only problem being is that some of our earlier 3rd period losses were with all 3 of these players still in the line-up. I don't think it is the personnel rather than the system. Better players only mask the issue. There is a fundamental problem with the way this team is playing D in our own defensive zone.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
and this is why Lambert, or the system, has to go....has had to since the start of the season (at least). I still maintain we are more lucky than good in too many areas and while that is an admirable trait, well at least a nice one to have, it is not sustainable. This team has not played good defense since game 1 and i tend to feel that the coaching staff is responsible more so than the players.

Shut this one down after 4-0. The first and the start of the second had me falling asleep. Not sure where the players thought they played a good first...zzzzzz. They were sleeping from the drop of the puck. Just the same, this is more of a one off than a likely-hood of us seeing this game after game.....i hope.

Oh...and yes, this team has long forgot how to hit and wonder how much of that is scheme.
Totally agree. In regards to Lambert, I have no allegiance to any coach but I am quite the forgiving fan. It's not an easy job nor being a general manager. If he can fix this then I'll support him all the way but I agree this is more a coaching and system issue than individual player issue. Roster wise, when healthy, there is no reason why the Isles shouldn't have one of the best defenses in the league and just like our offense for the past 4 years the individual talents of our defensemen are being wasted on a conservative passive defensive system. Our D men should be stepping up and hitting the opposing instead they are retreating the other way.

Reactions: Lek

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
The only one who is close is Mayfield. He took part in a full practice yesterday.
Not sure Mayfield is going to move the needle. We struggle to hold leads when everyone is healthy but I feel the Reilly type player has added a noticeable substance to the isles game that could use another similar type that helps get the puck moving . Hanifin , to me would lock down this D core for the next 3-4 years and help improve the transition game and certainly make us more of a contender. I’m of the mindset that I’d rather be good than lucky , lady luck somehow finds a way to run out and we’ve seen our fair share this year

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I miss back in the day when the game was physical, either your team would jump start some emotion with hits or a scrap to change momentum or even if you were getting blown out as a fan you got entertained with physical play.
Agreed, this part of the game is probably near the end of the horizon line of a sunset.

Remember the ongoing complaints that the needed the nets to be bigger to increase scoring? They haven’t changed, yet, here we are with a ‘increased scoring’ to make the game ‘exciting.’ Just needed a whole generation change of players that play like it’s a Friday night pickup game.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Agreed, this part of the game is probably near the end of the horizon line of a sunset.

Remember the ongoing complaints that the needed the nets to be bigger to increase scoring? They haven’t changed, yet, here we are with a ‘increased scoring’ to make the game ‘exciting.’ Just needed a whole generation change of players that play like it’s a Friday night pickup game.
If you watch WJC, sit in on USA hockey coaching seminars and see the fighting trends in the CHL you know this is only going to get worse.

Reactions: Throttle

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013

I'm viewing last night as an aberration. We know we're going to need to score a bunch of goals to win games while we're hurt, but last night no one looked good, even Barzy was gifting the Pens the puck and not backchecking.

I suspect this isn't the beginning of a slide but rather a refocusing after an embarrassing performance.

We do still need to get healthy

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
If you watch WJC, sit in on USA hockey coaching seminars and see the fighting trends in the CHL you know this is only going to get worse.
I'm fine with it. While I still enjoy the occasional fight, I do not need to see teams goon it up simply because they are being embarrassed on the scoreboard. Couple that with the threat of concussion and it's not difficult to see why hitting dudes in the head with fists is trending downward.

Now they just need to get away from feeling the need to "stand up for their teammate" after every freaking big, CLEAN hit. That drives me crazy. Act like a pro, suck it up and move on.

Speaking of acting like a pro, I watched the new Barry Sanders doc. Highly recommend.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
The only one who is close is Mayfield. He took part in a full practice yesterday.
I suspect from clips of today’s practice that Mayfield returns tomorrow night against caps. He skated hard and looked pretty healthy as far as skating which he didn’t when he got hurt so perhaps the upper body injury helped the lower body injury heal.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'm fine with it. While I still enjoy the occasional fight, I do not need to see teams goon it up simply because they are being embarrassed on the scoreboard. Couple that with the threat of concussion and it's not difficult to see why hitting dudes in the head with fists is trending downward.

Now they just need to get away from feeling the need to "stand up for their teammate" after every freaking big, CLEAN hit. That drives me crazy. Act like a pro, suck it up and move on.

Speaking of acting like a pro, I watched the new Barry Sanders doc. Highly recommend.
I get your point but I still like it.

The fight->clean hit is brutal, especially when the big hits don't even happen as often anymore. I understand when guys say "I didn't see it but when you see your teammate down...." but there's always another shift if it was in fact dirty.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00