Why not destroy the Owen Hart death footage?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This thread was originally titled "What's the point in WWE keeping the Owen Hart death footage?" But then I realized people might read that and think I was suggesting they sell it and absolutely not that would be disgusting that's NOT what I'm suggesting.

But I don't understand why they never destroyed it?

We know it exists, It's in the warehouse labelled "do not distribute, view or destroy." or something close to that effect.

Obviously they aren't going to sell it,

It's not evidence that case as been settled for years, so at this point why not destroy it?

Why does it need to exist?

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Has it been confirmed that WWE has footage of the fall? I've never heard it being confirmed.

And if it's true, how would we know that it hasn't been destroyed? It doesn't seem like something that would be announced to us.

Reactions: joestevens29

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Has it been confirmed that WWE has footage of the fall? I've never heard it being confirmed.

And if it's true, how would we know that it hasn't been destroyed? It doesn't seem like something that would be announced to us.

Because It's been said there are specific instructions not to destroy it.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Yeah I'd guess there's some legal reason for it and anyway, I don't see what destroying it would even accomplish.

Why is there even a thread about this?
My least favourite type of post on forums is people questioning why a thread exists. If it doesn't interest you, just don't post in it. Its existence should have zero effect on you.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah I'd guess there's some legal reason for it and anyway, I don't see what destroying it would even accomplish.

My least favourite type of post on forums is people questioning why a thread exists. If it doesn't interest you, just don't post in it. Its existence should have zero effect on you.

This thread is disturbing and bizarre and should of been closed by a Mod immediately.

You say don't post in it. I say I already had to read the disturbing thread title about a man who tragically died a quarter century ago and the thread itself shouldn't exist and needs to be called out. By being exposed to the thread title, it does have an effect on people. It's like saying any news headline is perfectly fine as long as the person doesn't read the body of the article and only the body of the article should affect you, not the headline.

If people want to discuss morbid disturbing shit like what happened to footage of Owen Hart's tragic death, fill your boots, but do it in private. Last time I checked, this board has a PM function.

• Haha
Reactions: Nemesis Prime

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
My guess would be that the company just records everything.

The company settled many years ago and I’m sure that they thought as a company that they should keep the video of it just incase some sort of other lawsuit comes from it.

Now many years have passed and they have no need for the video. Problem is if they say that they just destroyed it that it will open up a whole can of worms for the media. They will be asking why it has only been done now and not years ago. It will be really bad press. The best thing that they can do as a company is to keep it sealed up and never mention it again.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
This thread is disturbing and bizarre and should of been closed by a Mod immediately.

You say don't post in it. I say I already had to read the disturbing thread title about a man who tragically died a quarter century ago and the thread itself shouldn't exist and needs to be called out. By being exposed to the thread title, it does have an effect on people. It's like saying any news headline is perfectly fine as long as the person doesn't read the body of the article and only the body of the article should affect you, not the headline.

If people want to discuss morbid disturbing shit like what happened to footage of Owen Hart's tragic death, fill your boots, but do it in private. Last time I checked, this board has a PM function.

No it isn't. It's a perfectly legitimate question to ask. The OP isn't DEFENDING the footage being still in archive nor is OP saying it should be widely spread but asking why isn't it destroyed? There is nothing bizarre or disturbing about that. Further, a simple discussion about death in general isn't 'bizarre or disturbing'.

The board also has an 'ignore thread' feature. Respectfully, that might be of your benefit.

To the OP, I'm simply going to guess that it's due to legal reasons why the footage still exists but as Kevin Kelly allegedly said, there is a reason why it's labeled as 'Do not view, duplicate or destroy'. Maybe it HAS to but we as a viewing audience are never going to see it. I don't want to see it personally, but I think that's the most logical explanation that I can come up with. I have heard there is other footage outside Owen that is in that 'do not view, duplicate or destroy' archive as well.

So maybe it's as I originally mentioned that it is solely due to legal reasons, maybe it's because WWE records nearly everything and they don't want to destroy the master tape of that event.

I can't give you a concrete answer but I don't think it's an invalid question or anything like that.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto

You should stay away from the internet.

Reactions: BruinDust

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

A conversation about death in general is not disturbing, and if you think that it is I have bad news for you It's inevitable it happens to all of us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad