GDT: GDT #34 Pittsburgh Penguins vs New York Islanders | December 27th | 7:30 PM | F/L 7-0

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Yep, if Lambert can't fix this system in the D zone his job should be at risk
His job shouldn’t be at risk, he should be fired already.

Even with this streak, almost EVERY game has been a nailbiter because there is no cohesive structure

Trotz pulled the most out of a marginally talented team. Lambert is getting a hell of a lot less out of a much more talented and developed group

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
His job shouldn’t be at risk, he should be fired already.

Even with this streak, almost EVERY game has been a nailbiter because there is no cohesive structure

Trotz pulled the most out of a marginally talented team. Lambert is getting a hell of a lot less out of a much more talented and developed group
There is structure but it’s just a wrong approach in the Dzone because this hybrid system abandoned clogging up the neutral zone. He can fix this if he just tries to play a traditional defensive system like every other team in the league. They can’t play 1/2 Trotz system. Either go at it 100% or abandon it completely. They need to do the latter and just completely shelf Trotz system but this might be all Lambert knows.

Reactions: 12Dog and Osakahaus

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
There is structure but it’s just a wrong approach in the Dzone because this hybrid system abandoned clogging up the neutral zone. He can fix this if he just tries to play a traditional defensive system like every other team in the league. They can’t play 1/2 Trotz system. Either go at it 100% or abandon it completely. They need to do the latter and just completely shelf Trotz system but this might be all Lambert knows.

They need better coverage in the D zone. They too often look disorganized, as if they don't know where to go, when, and who to take. Their zone exits are also disorganized. That's where Trotz' structure and attention to formulaic details are sorely missed. This team defended as a predictable, systemic unit under him. Now they look like a bunch of individuals who don't know what they're doing and are overmatched.

A team can play structured, predictable D and generate offense. They need a coach who can implement such a system.

Reactions: MJF and scottywiper

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I didn't watch this game...aaaand yeah

Penguins played pissed and the islanders looked like a team that was playing 3 spare defensemen.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Lambert has to have the D play a more traditional man on man defensive system and let the dman use their physicality to their advantage. He can’t have the offense deep in the offensive zone and keep the neutral zone open. The opposition is entering the d zone with so much speed because the neutral zone is unchecked. That’s why they need to stand up at the blue line and force opposing players along the boards to stop their forward momentum. Hit them along the boards. He’s trying to keep Trotz dzone coverage in place and it simply won’t work. It’s basketball defense but this is a contact sport. It’s a disaster and he’s making this game so much more difficult for Sorokin because opposing teams are getting grade A opportunities right at the hatch marks. He’s getting shellacked and I’m sorry but Dobson and Romanov have no idea what to do in front of the net utilizing this system of defense. They are always on the wrong side of the puck. The D in general is playing too soft primarily because they are being told to retreat to the net rather than being allowed to clobber players along the boards and with a healthy D this big and mobile there is no reason why they shouldn’t be using their size to their advantage.
and this is why Lambert, or the system, has to go....has had to since the start of the season (at least). I still maintain we are more lucky than good in too many areas and while that is an admirable trait, well at least a nice one to have, it is not sustainable. This team has not played good defense since game 1 and i tend to feel that the coaching staff is responsible more so than the players.

Shut this one down after 4-0. The first and the start of the second had me falling asleep. Not sure where the players thought they played a good first...zzzzzz. They were sleeping from the drop of the puck. Just the same, this is more of a one off than a likely-hood of us seeing this game after game.....i hope.

Oh...and yes, this team has long forgot how to hit and wonder how much of that is scheme.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Even with the isles recent solid play, it can’t be too surprising they might have games like this considering 3 key starters on defense are out.

So let’s give them a pass for one night on that. The part that I can’t explain is the complete no-show effort on the offensive side.

Again, it’s just one game but that’s pretty disturbing.

Reactions: Osakahaus

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Even with the isles recent solid play, it can’t be too surprising they might have games like this considering 3 key starters on defense are out.

So let’s give them a pass for one night on that. The part that I can’t explain is the complete no-show effort on the offensive side.

It's not just one game unfortunately. The Carolina game was a D zone disaster. And in many cases it's not the defenseman that are an issue. Zeke's line on for zero goals and Nelson line on for one. The other two lines had defensive liabilities at RW last night and neither of those 2 back check worth a damn.

Coaching is an absolute issue on this team. Line changes are a problem. Inability to adapt is a problem. Pull a Wang (LOL) here and make Martin the coach.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
They need better coverage in the D zone. They too often look disorganized, as if they don't know where to go, when, and who to take. Their zone exits are also disorganized. That's where Trotz' structure and attention to formulaic details are sorely missed. This team defended as a predictable, systemic unit under him. Now they look like a bunch of individuals who don't know what they're doing and are overmatched.

A team can play structured, predictable D and generate offense. They need a coach who can implement such a system.
They had more coverage in the D zone because Trotz system had all the players on the ice back providing coverage but this puts us back on square one - no offense. So we essentially have 1/2 of Trotz system in the dzone with the 2 defenders running back towards the goaltender and opposing teams just flying into the defensive zone unimpeded. If they just switch to a traditional man in man defense and just stop the players along the boards like every other team in the league does they will be fine. It’s like the Isles don’t even have a D or are a perpetual penalty kill just boxing out in front of the goaltender. It’s just ridiculous. Why can’t Lambert see this? Why is this team giving the other team a power play that lasts the entire game? Yesterday was this system at its worse he’s got to abandon Trotz system completely or they are going to continue to get slaughtered like last night or continue to lose leads late in the game. This system puts too much pressure on the goaltenders.

It's not just one game unfortunately. The Carolina game was a D zone disaster. And in many cases it's not the defenseman that are an issue. Zeke's line on for zero goals and Nelson line on for one. The other two lines had defensive liabilities at RW last night and neither of those 2 back check worth a damn.

Coaching is an absolute issue on this team. Line changes are a problem. Inability to adapt is a problem. Pull a Wang (LOL) here and make Martin the coach.
Back checking- yes that’s needed the only problem is the league is calling hooking penalties so closely that it’s difficult to back check.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
They had more coverage in the D zone because Trotz system had all the players on the ice back providing coverage but this puts us back on square one - no offense. So we essentially have 1/2 of Trotz system in the dzone with the 2 defenders running back towards the goaltender and opposing teams just flying into the defensive zone unimpeded. If they just switch to a traditional man in man defense and just stop the players along the boards like every other team in the league does they will be fine. It’s like the Isles don’t even have a D or are a perpetual penalty kill just boxing out in front of the goaltender. It’s just ridiculous. Why can’t Lambert see this? Why is this team giving the other team a power play that lasts the entire game? Yesterday was this system at its worse he’s got to abandon Trotz system completely or they are going to continue to get slaughtered like last night or continue to lose leads late in the game. This system puts too much pressure on the goaltenders.

Back checking- yes that’s needed the only problem is the league is calling hooking penalties so closely that it’s difficult to back check.
When the Isles play well, it is proof that Lambert is a brilliant coach and the team is finally "unleashed." When they don't play well it is proof that Trotz and his system suck.

How convenient.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

I guess, maybe, but try explaining that to my 12 y/o who gets to go to maybe 2-3 games per season.

Penguins clearly had a strategy - to send a lateral pass the entire width of the neutral zone after an exit. They were not able to execute it in the first, but that obviously changed. It was not pretty to see the Islanders completely unable to adjust.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Not on the burn the town down BS but I am worried about Sorokin. Thousandth game this year he's let up 4+. Need to go into games now he's starting assuming we need 5.

Games like this are going to happen to every team at some point, and with 3 regulars out on D we've been lucky so far in that sense. Sucks it was in front of a packed, hyped crowd.

Onto the next.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
When the Isles play well, it is proof that Lambert is a brilliant coach and the team is finally "unleashed." When they don't play well it is proof that Trotz and his system suck.

How convenient.
If that's your interpretation of what I've been consistently saying since day 1 go ahead and think that. As I've said, the pusher mentality or basketball defense will work if you have enough men back to provide coverage. Either stay with Trotz system 100% or abandon it completely. As I said just days ago, you can't have one foot on the boat and one foot on the dock it's a dangerous place to be. This is a far cry from saying "Trotz and his system suck". As I've also said the team is going through a transition. There will be growing pains. Beyond a doubt they are playing better hockey on the PP and offensive zone. They just got to get back to the basics on D and they will be fine. Yesterday was just one game. I would be worried if they don't make system changes on the D in the long run however.

I would never want to go back to Trotz hockey and any fool would want to restrict this offense to what we saw under Trotz. Lambert is playing the offense and PP the way it should be played if he just completely abandoned Trotz system in the D he will have this team moving completely in the right direction. This idea of turtling and running back towards the goaltender is the epitome of "playing not to lose". It's panic mode when you don't have enough men back to cover. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If he completely drops Trotz system he will be fine, unfortunately for him Lambert has got to reconstruct the defensive system, but lucky for him there are 31 other teams in the league that can demonstrate him what a "normal" defensive system looks like.

Please refrain from causing friction on these boards. Interjecting one's opinion about what may be going is is not creating friction it's just sharing one's opinion, but most of the vitriol on these boards is started with personal attacks like these.

Last edited:

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I guess, maybe, but try explaining that to my 12 y/o who gets to go to maybe 2-3 games per season.

Penguins clearly had a strategy - to send a lateral pass the entire width of the neutral zone after an exit. They were not able to execute it in the first, but that obviously changed. It was not pretty to see the Islanders completely unable to adjust.
Game was fine really until pens scored first goal, pretty low event game and wheels fell off. The three man high thing gives a lot of teams problems, the Horvat line does it and gives teams problems. I’m not sure what it is, suspect it’s indecision on defenseman’s part to go out that high. Recent play allows you to just chuck it out and get ready for Friday and pay them back sunday in their building. It annoyed me a minor bit that Dobson olayed 25 mins, I would have just let him sit down last ten of third.

Reactions: saintunspecified

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Not on the burn the town down BS but I am worried about Sorokin. Thousandth game this year he's let up 4+. Need to go into games now he's starting assuming we need 5.
Ilya and Igor both haven't been good goalies this season. Ilya played a great game against Edmonton. Problem is that this team lets teams linger now. Its their biggest kryptonite

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Game was fine really until pens scored first goal, pretty low event game and wheels fell off. The three man high thing gives a lot of teams problems, the Horvat line does it and gives teams problems. I’m not sure what it is, suspect it’s indecision on defenseman’s part to go out that high. Recent play allows you to just chuck it out and get ready for Friday and pay them back sunday in their building. It annoyed me a minor bit that Dobson olayed 25 mins, I would have just let him sit down last ten of third.
One would think that was the center's responsibility, and you are right that was a big problem.

Reilly Smith is always a giant pain in the ***, and I really enjoyed it when he was in the western conference.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022

Games like this are going to happen to every team at some point, and with 3 regulars out on D we've been lucky so far in that sense. Sucks it was in front of a packed, hyped crowd.

Onto the next.
I hear ya. The vast majority of the games where he's given up 4 or more, he has "played well" and "looked good" and "can't blame him on any of those" but how many times are we going to say that? I do consider yesterday an anomaly and we still sit in a pretty good position. But some big concerns remain, for sure.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I left the game after the 2nd period. First time in idek how long I've done that. Yeesh is all I gotta say
There was a game a few years back where the isles were on NBC and got spanked by Tampa at Barclays. I was at that game and left after the second period as well.

Reactions: NYI365

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad