GDT: GDT #34 Pittsburgh Penguins vs New York Islanders | December 27th | 7:30 PM | F/L 7-0

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
That was one of the worst performances i can remember in quite some time. Every team gets rocked on occasion so i wont go too crazy. Bounce back fri and sunday and get 4 pts before that tough rosd trip.

Hey still in 2nd place!

Agree, although it's especially angering when it happens in a rivalry game. If they have a good showing this weekend, we can sweep this one under the rug. IF...

Reactions: BrockLobster

PolishPrince21

Mar 4, 2015
LI
here is the info on those 6 goals in the period.

Six goals allowed in the 2nd period is tied for the 2nd-most allowed by the #Isles ever in a single period. They allowed 8 on 3/31/1973 in the 2nd period of a 10-2 loss to the PHI. They gave also gave up 6 on: 11/8/1972, 6-1 loss to CHI1/27/1980, 7-1 loss to WSH2/25/1981, 11-4 loss to CGY11/23/1988, 7-6 loss to WSH10/23/1990, 8-1 loss to NJD10/28/1990, 8-3 loss to PIT3/21/2000, 8-2 loss to PIT

• Wow
Reactions: MarsTBOW

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Agree, although it's especially angering when it happens in a rivalry game. If they have a good showing this weekend, we can sweep this one under the rug. IF...
They’ve basically bounced back after every poor game for most part of the season.

here is the info on those 6 goals in the period.

Six goals allowed in the 2nd period is tied for the 2nd-most allowed by the #Isles ever in a single period. They allowed 8 on 3/31/1973 in the 2nd period of a 10-2 loss to the PHI. They gave also gave up 6 on: 11/8/1972, 6-1 loss to CHI1/27/1980, 7-1 loss to WSH2/25/1981, 11-4 loss to CGY11/23/1988, 7-6 loss to WSH10/23/1990, 8-1 loss to NJD10/28/1990, 8-3 loss to PIT3/21/2000, 8-2 loss to PIT
Cup team did it twice lol, good thing Twitter wasn’t around then they would have been calling for Arbour to be fired lol.

Reactions: Lek

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
The worst part of the game was giving up a clean breakaway ten seconds after taking a time out.
They’ve basically bounced back after every poor game for most part of the season.
Not sure how you can say that when there have been only 34 games in the season and they literally had a period of losing 7 of them consecutively lol

Reactions: ekill08x and NYI365

PolishPrince21

Mar 4, 2015
LI

Cup team did it twice lol, good thing Twitter wasn’t around then they would have been calling for Arbour to be fired lol.
they gave up 6 , 23 years ago. i really hope it takes another 23 before i see something like that again.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
People saying a narrow loss would have been worse are letting the players off far too easily.
You'll have bad days but effort is the least people should expect.
There was no effort tonight.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
The worst part of the game was giving up a clean breakaway ten seconds after taking a time out.

Not sure how you can say that when there have been only 34 games in the season and they literally had a period of losing 7 of them consecutively lol
They’ve gotten points in 17 of last 20, there is enough heart/ grit or whatever you want to point too that you can say tonguht is just another one off.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Crap game, move on. The smart ones smuggled in a lot of BYOB to the Park before hand.

I wouldn’t over analyze this one.

Reactions: NYI365

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I don't recall ever seeing an Isle who not only won't throw a check, but actually looks like he's trying to avoid any contact as much as Engvall.
He’s really soft, but not really his role and he adds speed to lineup and for most is smart player. Maybe you’d hope Holmstrom can eventually move up and he moves to a third line role.

Reactions: ekill08x

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
They’ve gotten points in 17 of last 20, there is enough heart/ grit or whatever you want to point too that you can say tonguht is just another one off.
Sure, but this is a completely different point than saying they’ve basically rebounded after every bad game, which just isnt a true statement

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Anyone think the big change for Friday is Gauthier in for Whalstrom
Not that Wahlstrom is being scapegoated for anything tonight, but man he can't skate.

That was one of the worst performances i can remember in quite some time. Every team gets rocked on occasion so i wont go too crazy. Bounce back fri and sunday and get 4 pts before that tough rosd trip.

Hey still in 2nd place!
And ain't that what really matters around here?

What a Beatdown. I wonder what excuses Lou is making now for his Joke of a coach?
He'll say it's a marathon not a sprint, and it's just 1 of 82.

Reactions: Zeeker and Throttle

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Not that Wahlstrom is being scapegoated for anything tonight, but man he can't skate.

And ain't that what really matters around here?
He played as a showcase, no other reason for him to play tonight IMO. The injured defense are going to be back in coming weeks and perhaps Parise is coming back so they need to clear roster spots and Wahlstrom really has no role on this team. He’s probably going to get waived soon.

Reactions: ekill08x

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Your takes are quite a roller coaster. I thought he’s better than Trotz??
I don’t take these childish views about either one. Either he gets the job done or he doesn’t. All we saw was the Isles turtling from the 2nd period onward. Lambert is trying to create a hybrid system where they play a more open style of hockey from the neutral zone out but kept Trotz zone defense in place. This won’t work because there is no gap control. It’s like they are allowing the opposing team a perpetual power play. As I have been saying all season long they need to play man on man at the blue line, punish players along the boards and box out only when the opposing team is down low. They are all just running back towards their goaltender and the opposing team is having a field day. With a defense this big and mobile they should be hitting more. Instead they got this basketball defense crap going on. I’ve been saying this since October.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lek

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Defense should everyone get and remain healthy:

Dobson-Romanov
Pelech-Pulock
Mayfield-Reilly

Bortuzzo
Bulduc

Aho waived or packaged in a deal that will probably include Wahlstrom.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Lambert has to have the D play a more traditional man on man defensive system and let the dman use their physicality to their advantage. He can’t have the offense deep in the offensive zone and keep the neutral zone open. The opposition is entering the d zone with so much speed because the neutral zone is unchecked. That’s why they need to stand up at the blue line and force opposing players along the boards to stop their forward momentum. Hit them along the boards. He’s trying to keep Trotz dzone coverage in place and it simply won’t work. It’s basketball defense but this is a contact sport. It’s a disaster and he’s making this game so much more difficult for Sorokin because opposing teams are getting grade A opportunities right at the hatch marks. He’s getting shellacked and I’m sorry but Dobson and Romanov have no idea what to do in front of the net utilizing this system of defense. They are always on the wrong side of the puck. The D in general is playing too soft primarily because they are being told to retreat to the net rather than being allowed to clobber players along the boards and with a healthy D this big and mobile there is no reason why they shouldn’t be using their size to their advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12Dog

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Meh if they don’t fix the play in the dzone it’s gonna be a long year. They’re just making the situation more complex than it has to be. Just take your man and let Sorokin and Varly clean up the rest. Instead they got Dobson and Romanov standing around like 2 confused school girls.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad