GDT: GDT #33 New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | December 23rd | 7:30 PM | F/5-4 W

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
View attachment 789861
Yeah

Merry Christmas Eve you buds. Go enjoy some time with Family.

Canes also had like THREE really flukey goals. They had their fair share of "come on how did that one go in???" along with the isles.
Looking forward to watching the replay but the Canes have had an arrogant attitude towards the Islanders. They were able to take full advantage of Trotz flawed system which tended to breakdown when a high volume of quality shots were let go from the points. Our goaltenders can’t stop them all and Trotz game of avoiding risks became a detriment and booth Cooper and Brindamour knew this. They knew the Islanders preferred to play chess and with a team like the Canes whose game plan is to throw as many shots as you can at the net Trotz game plan fed right into theirs. Not anymore. As Lambert says, ok if you want offense. We got offense. Lambert played this game with the perfect mindset it appears. With the Islanders offense unleashed they should have less problems dispensing of the Canes or Bolts in a playoff series. Man, I was worried about Lambert based upon last year’s performance and the late game losses this year but he clearly gets it. He’s doing a good job.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Looking forward to watching the replay but the Canes have had an arrogant attitude towards the Islanders. They were able to take full advantage of Trotz flawed system which tended to breakdown when a high volume of quality shots were let go from the points. Our goaltenders can’t stop them all and Trotz game of avoiding risks became a detriment and booth Cooper and Canes coach knew this. They knew the Islanders preferred to play chess and with a team like the Canes whose game plan is to throw as many shots as you can at the net Trotz game plan fed right into theirs. Not anymore. As Lambert says, ok if you want offense. We got offense. Lambert played this game with the perfect mindset it appears.
and that's what you gotta do with the Canes. When they throw the kitchen sink, then you respond with your own sink in tow. That's why I don't see the Canes going anywhere. They are such a bad team when push comes to shove. You really see why Brindamour folds, because when you don't give them endless power plays, and you exploit how open guys like Burns, Chatfield and even Slavin get, you can beat them.

The difference between facing the Devils and Panthers to the Canes was how physical the Panthers were, while the Devils just allowed them to linger. I swear the Devils made it so easy for Martinook and Kotkaniemi and others to score, while the Panthers made it so hard to get a quality shot to Bobrovsky. That game 3 was a perfect example of a game that Rod Brindamour cannot win.

Last edited:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
and that's what you gotta do with the Canes. When they throw the kitchen sink, then you respond with your own sink in tow. That's why I don't see the Canes going anywhere. They are such a bad team when push comes to shove. You really see why Brindamour folds, because when you don't give them endless power plays, and you exploit how open guys like Burns, Chatfield and even Slavin get, you can beat them.
Absolutely

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
I was watching without audio but was Brendan announcing solo? How’d that go?

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I’m expecting more from Sorokin as the Islanders play a more open style of hockey. The defense is still lacking and as Ive said before with tendencies to turtle and block his line of sight ( if they plan to turtle in front of him they need to take a page from Bortuzzi’s book and actually attempt to block shots not just screen the goaltender). It’s been better though with the Isles being more physical against the boards though I would wish they stood up more at the blue line. They tend to retreat too early in particular Romanov and Aho.

That all said both Sorokin and Varlamov have to be better. They have both benefited from Trotz hockey where all shots were kept to the perimeter. They are facing more quality shots now that the Islanders game opened up a bit. Sorokin has to protect his crease better anticipating cross crease passes better and using his stick more. Both Varlamov and Sorokin tend to play far too much inside the crease and need to cut down angles better and be more aggressive outside the crease. They back too far into the crease.
I’ll just leave this here for you.
IMG_9467.png

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah, this was the same frustrating game we’ve seen 90% of the time this year.

Great to get the win in regulation of course, but color me skeptical that this is a product of missing three defensemen when we played exactly like this with everyone healthy.
Honestly I think our record is Fool’s Gold. We have a problem defensively that goes back to the first week of the season. But we’re 2nd in the Metro so all is well.

We banked points. Now fix the problem and tighten up in out own end. It can be done without surrendering offense. It is not an all-or-nothing proposition.

As long as the power play is working the way it is, there shouldn’t be much of a dropoff in GF.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Honestly I think our record is Fool’s Gold. We have a problem defensively that goes back to the first week of the season. But we’re 2nd in the Metro so all is well.

We banked points. Now fix the problem and tighten up in out own end. It can be done without surrendering offense. It is not an all-or-nothing proposition.

As long as the power play is working the way it is, there shouldn’t be much of a dropoff in GF.
The next three games to end the year, all against division opponents. I want at least 5 points.

January’s schedule is absolutely brutal. Make or break the season brutal.

Reactions: MJF

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

I agree for the most part, but will go glass half full here. You are what your record is as the saying goes.

We have to hope that the defense will solidify as the three regulars get back on the ice. The bigger problem for me is, how do we fix the PK? I’m not sure adding Parise at the TDL is the answer.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I agree for the most part, but will go glass half full here. You are what your record is as the saying goes.

We have to hope that the defense will solidify as the three regulars get back on the ice. The bigger problem for me is, how do we fix the PK? I’m not sure adding Parise at the TDL is the answer.
The goalies do have to be stronger. They are part of the PK. We also have problems clearing the puck. We see that time and time again when the opponent pulls their goalie and we’re hemmed in (a big reason why we have 0 ENG’s this year). Also we have a tendency to leave our skates when trying to defend. Gotta stay upright. Fixing those issues would go a long way in solving our PK problems.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I was watching without audio but was Brendan announcing solo? How’d that go?
He did pretty well overall for riding solo. They had Moulson pop in, I think in the 3rd, and he’s just uncomfortable intermission/in game.

Hickey is doing well, just needs a bit more exuberance as Brendan has a presence (in a good way), that’s why him and Butch, for all his faults, are good. Butch has a different energy than Brendan. Moulson has zero and Hickey has a some, but not much.

Give props to Shannon, she is very good and has a strong repertoire with the players. Some of the other people in a similar role as her, you can see how awkward the players feel (and reporter is not much better in the situation). She’s got a knack for it.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Looking forward to watching the replay but the Canes have had an arrogant attitude towards the Islanders. They were able to take full advantage of Trotz flawed system which tended to breakdown when a high volume of quality shots were let go from the points. Our goaltenders can’t stop them all and Trotz game of avoiding risks became a detriment and booth Cooper and Brindamour knew this. They knew the Islanders preferred to play chess and with a team like the Canes whose game plan is to throw as many shots as you can at the net Trotz game plan fed right into theirs. Not anymore. As Lambert says, ok if you want offense. We got offense. Lambert played this game with the perfect mindset it appears. With the Islanders offense unleashed they should have less problems dispensing of the Canes or Bolts in a playoff series. Man, I was worried about Lambert based upon last year’s performance and the late game losses this year but he clearly gets it. He’s doing a good job.
Agree and it stems from Brind'Amour. They did out-possess the Isles however. There was a shift for JGP late in the third when he threw the puck at the net on a solo rush. Would have much preferred him to go lower in the zone and eat it. I do believe facing a better goalie the Isles would have adapted. Still not sold on anyone who believes Aho is an NHL defenseman though.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI and MJF

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Matheson also would fetch a decent return for the Habs, and Hanifin got cooked by Byfield yesterday

I'd like Matheson, and i'd honestly trade Wahlstrom, prospect and a 1st for him.
All I recall of him was the Isles victimizing him for series wins against Florida and Pittsburgh.

Has his defense actually improved enough to justify this?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
All I recall of him was the Isles victimizing him for series wins against Florida and Pittsburgh.

Has his defense actually improved enough to justify this?
His time with Florida was eons ago and getting victimized is a right of passage for Pittsburgh defensemen in that system.

Hit cap hit and term is a good fit for the Islanders, they shouldn’t be going too high and/or too long with another defensemen, Matheson would look great on the left side with Pelech and Romanov.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I’ll just leave this here for you.
View attachment 789903
I think the difference here and during Trotz tenure was that these shots are of higher quality and for whatever reason earlier in the season our own dmen were screening their own goaltenders and not clearing the crease.

A high number of shots against was always a byproduct of Trotz's game plan and the data supports this, but Trotz made sure he had enough players back to make sure those were low quality scoring chances from the perimeter. With our offensemen cheating more it’s been a problem and the trade off is a higher number of quality chances against.

Goals against is expected to be higher playing this more offensive minded system, but the goaltenders simply have to play better and more confidently and aggressively when closing games out. Instead they have, (particularly Sorokin) retreating back into the net and this is exacerbated also by the dmen falling back towards the goalies position and screening him in the process. Sorokin has to give opposing players less net to shoot at and be more aggressive by moving in front of the crease and not so backed up in the crease. I don’t know if this is a Russian thing or how they were trained.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barzaltrick

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Yeah, this was the same frustrating game we’ve seen 90% of the time this year.

Great to get the win in regulation of course, but color me skeptical that this is a product of missing three defensemen when we played exactly like this with everyone healthy.
What’s most important is that they got the win. Even during the dynasty years there were plenty of close games with the combined goals reaching double digits with both sides. You can win a game 2-1 playing not to lose or play a 5-4 game playing to win. We lost more of those important games playing not to lose than those high scoring important games playing to win. It is more risky to sit back on a 1 goal lead than it is to keep your foot on the pedal leading 4-2 as the isles did last night. It is difficult to buy a goal playing not to lose or hold onto a one goal lead during important games in the playoffs as this team has been demonstrating for the past 5 years.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Just got back from the game. Not sure what it looked like on TV, but live the Islanders looked really bad. Choppy, no flow, back on their heels at the blue line. And Ilya didn't look sharp either. Lucky to get out of there with two.
The Canes style of play makes opponents look bad. They attack constantly and I mean both on offense and defense. On defense they will come straight at the puck carrier attempting to pressure him into a turnover or rushed bad pass.
On offense they throw everything at the net and all rush down to the crease, sit along the walls inside the blue line making the opponent try to clear up the middle.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Trotz wasn't coaching the team in the playoffs last year. Lambert was.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Trotz wasn't coaching the team in the playoffs last year. Lambert was.
And we saw the final gasps of Trotz system on full display. This past year and a half has been a transition year for this team. Rome wasn’t built in a day. If what they are doing right now is the definition of Lambert hockey- I’m on board for sure. I imagine it would be difficult for any coach to move his players away from a mindset that is razor sharp focused on defensive positioning in all zones and try to change that in short order to one that is more offensive minded. As Barzal said earlier in the year he nearly lost all confidence in himself. Kudos to the coach for letting Barzal be Barzal and other players wanting to play more to their game strengths.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barzaltrick

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Pelech when healthy is a machine. Do not let your opinion of Toews and the injuries Pelech has take away from how good Pelly is.
Three years ago I would agree. He is still a good player but he isn’t playing to the level he was. Too many brain farts. Trying to do too much.

Pelech, Pulock and Mayfield are all kind of living on reputation right now. Mayfield to me was a guy who should have been replaced. He had a value. I think we could have moved him 2 years ago and got a good haul. Now he’s on this crazy contract. And he hasn’t been playing very well.

I’m kind of in this boat. I went to believe in this new found offense and the top end PP but it is hard to jump in with both feet given the lack of offense in previous years. I think fixing the PK has to be the number one issue. It stinks. Huge liability. No reason why it can’t be good either. It has been one of the best in the league with the same personnel.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I’m kind of in this boat. I went to believe in this new found offense and the top end PP but it is hard to jump in with both feet given the lack of offense in previous years.

As a few have said here many times over the past few years the lack of offense in previous years was due to Trotz system. Full stop. It’s a different philosophy for sure but I believe this team will flourish under a system that plays to win over one that plays not to lose. Also for everyone involved this is a much more exciting sport to watch when played this way and I think most would agree.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
As a few have said here many times over the past few years the lack of offense in previous years was due to Trotz system. Full stop. It’s a different philosophy for sure but I believe this team will flourish under a system that plays to win over one that plays not to lose. Also for everyone involved this is a much more exciting sport to watch when played this way and I think most would agree.
By exciting do you mean nerve wracking?? Cos these third periods are tense! Lol

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I don’t think Trotz had anything to do with a league worst PP last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad