GDT: GDT #33 New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | December 23rd | 7:30 PM | F/5-4 W

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
It’s always the same perpetrators isn’t it? To be smug and lacking in common sense is never a good look. When was the Islander’s power play ever good under Trotz? It was downright terrible for every year he was here and a lot of that had to do with his mismanagement of Barzal. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. It was clear that Trotz system along with his power play needed to be revamped. You can’t right a ship overnight. It takes time. Last year- again was a transition year. If you can’t tell that the power play Lambert and company has this team playing now is totally different in strategy, formation, use of personnel, and success over Trotz's 4 years of futility trying to make one work than you don’t know hockey and you should keep your fingers off the keyboard. You can like Trotz all you want but to suggest he was some sort of power play guru is pathetic. In fact the only suggestion I remember Trotz gave for the Islanders to improve their power play was for the fans to stop booing.

But trust me I know it’s coming the simpletons around us will say it is all because of Bo Horvat- the same posters who said they can’t play the very style of game they are playing now because they don’t have the talent. It never ends. The Isles game plan including the PP is changing for the better under Lambert. Fk chess and live with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barzaltrick

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
PSA - the definition of insanity is not doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. It never has been, and it’s not even close.

An example of insanity may be doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome, but that is not the definition.

Additionally, it is likely Einstein or Franklin or FDR or whoever never even said that.

So, for the love God, can we all please stop with that wildly inaccurate and false bon mot?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
It’s always the same perpetrators isn’t it? To be smug and lacking in common sense is never a good look. When was the Islander’s power play ever good under Trotz? It was downright terrible for every year he was here and a lot of that had to do with his mismanagement of Barzal. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. It was clear that Trotz system along with his power play needed to be revamped. You can’t right a ship overnight. It takes time. Last again was a transition year. If you can’t tell that the power play Lambert and his team have this team playing is totally different in strategy, formation, use of personnel, and success over Trotz years of futility trying to make one work than you don’t know hockey and you should keep your fingers off the keyboard. You can like Trotz all you want but to suggest he was some sort of power play guru is pathetic. In fact the only suggestion I remember Trotz gave for the Islanders to improve their power play was to stop booing.

But trust me I know it’s coming the simpletons around us will say it is all because of Bo Horvat- the same players who said they can’t play the very style of game they are playing now because they don’t have the talent. It never ends. The Isles game plan including the PP is changing for the better under Lambert. Live with it.
Bo Horvat is what the islanders truly needed. I was actually livid at the trade, but man its paid dividends. Islanders are a team that can run and gun now, and Bo is that player this franchise has been missing since Tavares left. I mean it. Nelson is awesome, but the isles don't have that top flight center. Barzy is a great winger, but such a mediocre center. Now we are seeing him blossom as a winger.

Reactions: kk

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Bo Horvat is what the islanders truly needed. I was actually livid at the trade, but man its paid dividends. Islanders are a team that can run and gun now, and Bo is that player this franchise has been missing since Tavares left. I mean it. Nelson is awesome, but the isles don't have that top flight center. Barzy is a great winger, but such a mediocre center. Now we are seeing him blossom as a winger.
There's no doubt Horvat was a great acquisition for this team. His meh level of performance the end of last year had me a bit concerned, but now that he's acclimated to his new teammates he's been stellar. Again, gotta give credit Lou on this one as well.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Reilly isn't muscle! lol
You're the one talking about muscle, not me, LOL. I said Bortuzzo's been terrible. You blah blah'd about muscle. Reilly is the reason we have survived while several D men are out. Not Bortuzzo.

1703600776944.png

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
It’s always the same perpetrators isn’t it? To be smug and lacking in common sense is never a good look. When was the Islander’s power play ever good under Trotz? It was downright terrible for every year he was here and a lot of that had to do with his mismanagement of Barzal. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. It was clear that Trotz system along with his power play needed to be revamped. You can’t right a ship overnight. It takes time. Last year- again was a transition year. If you can’t tell that the power play Lambert and company has this team playing now is totally different in strategy, formation, use of personnel, and success over Trotz's 4 years of futility trying to make one work than you don’t know hockey and you should keep your fingers off the keyboard. You can like Trotz all you want but to suggest he was some sort of power play guru is pathetic. In fact the only suggestion I remember Trotz gave for the Islanders to improve their power play was for the fans to stop booing.

But trust me I know it’s coming the simpletons around us will say it is all because of Bo Horvat- the same posters who said they can’t play the very style of game they are playing now because they don’t have the talent. It never ends. The Isles game plan including the PP is changing for the better under Lambert. Fk chess and live with it.
Not sure why we have to diminish Trotz's accomplishments in an effort to prop up Lambert. During Trotz's tenure here the PP was perennially 19th-21st in the league (below average but not futile). The PK always top 10. Year one of Lambert saw a decline in both the PP (became futile) and PK. So far this season, they are dead last in the PK (futile) and 6th in the PP.

If this is enough for you to anoint Lambert as some sort of special teams guru and dismiss Trotz (the 2nd most successful coach in NYI history) as an anchor that held this team back, you may want to check into rehab again.

The team is playing well. 2nd in the division is great. Lambert certainly deserves to continue running the team. But questions and concerns obviously remain. Let's see Lambert have success in the playoffs before we call him the messiah.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
There's no doubt Horvat was a great acquisition for this team. His meh level of performance the end of last year had me a bit concerned, but now that he's acclimated to his new teammates he's been stellar. Again, gotta give credit Lou on this one as well.
Horvat also shot so poorly last year. I think he was caught in the whirlwind from Vancouver to NY, and he badly needed to find something that landed.

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
You're the one talking about muscle, not me, LOL. I said Bortuzzo's been terrible. You blah blah'd about muscle. Reilly is the reason we have survived while several D men are out. Not Bortuzzo.

View attachment 790439
Well you think what you want. Others have also chimed in that Bortuzzo has been good for the team. My original statement remains. Tell us how he's been terrible. Can you?

• Love
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Well you think what you want. Others have also chimed in that Bortuzzo has been good for the team. My original statement remains. Tell us how he's been terrible. Can you?
Not terrible in +/-, but I've seen him make lots of positional mistakes and giveaways. And I'm not seeing the toughness displayed as it would relate to hits. Maybe terrible is too strong a word as he's logging good minutes and +/- is okay. But so far, it seems any waiver pick up could do what he's done.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Not sure why we have to diminish Trotz's accomplishments in an effort to prop up Lambert. During Trotz's tenure here the PP was perennially 19th-21st in the league (below average but not futile). The PK always top 10. Year one of Lambert saw a decline in both the PP (became futile) and PK. So far this season, they are dead last in the PK (futile) and 6th in the PP.

If this is enough for you to anoint Lambert as some sort of special teams guru and dismiss Trotz (the 2nd most successful coach in NYI history) as an anchor that held this team back, you may want to check into rehab again.

The team is playing well. 2nd in the division is great. Lambert certainly deserves to continue running the team. But questions and concerns obviously remain. Let's see Lambert have success in the playoffs before we call him the messiah.

Go back to Trotz's playoff record for the truth, if you are going to make Lane look bad with that comment.

Until he won the Cup in his NINETEENTH year of coaching, he NEVER made it past the 2nd round (and that took him TWELVE years to MAKE the 2nd round) and missed the playoffs 8 times.

If we get to the Conference final this year, will you give the same accolades to Lane that you give to BT for a far worse record? And it took Barry SIX years to finally have his first winning record. Oh, but it was an expansion team doesn't work. If you went back to the last 40 years or so and tried to find NHL coaches that were the first in their franchise history and saw how many were still coaching after 5 losing seasons, I doubt it would be a big list, if there's ANYONE else.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Go back to Trotz's playoff record for the truth, if you are going to make Lane look bad with that comment.

Until he won the Cup in his NINETEENTH year of coaching, he NEVER made it past the 2nd round (and that took him TWELVE years to MAKE the 2nd round) and missed the playoffs 8 times.

If we get to the Conference final this year, will you give the same accolades to Lane that you give to BT for a far worse record? And it took Barry SIX years to finally have his first winning record. Oh, but it was an expansion team doesn't work. If you went back to the last 40 years or so and tried to find NHL coaches that were the first in their franchise history and saw how many were still coaching after 5 losing seasons, I doubt it would be a big list, if there's ANYONE else.
Give me a break with that dumb shit.

If we get to the Conference final this year, will you give the same accolades to Lane
Hell yeah. Even more so if he does it in back to back years or goes to a SCF.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Give me a break with that dumb shit.

Hell yeah. Even more so if he does it in back to back years or goes to a SCF.
I guess you just can't accept facts. Nor respond with anything but "Give me a break with that shit (factual shit)"

I guess if we win the Cup your response will be "win back to back Cups, like . . . oh, wait"

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I guess you just can't accept facts. Nor respond with anything but "Give me a break with that shit (factual shit)"

I guess if we win the Cup your response will be "win back to back Cups, like . . . oh, wait"
That guy can be quite disrespectful at times.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011

Meh. I may be a little hard on Trotz at times as much as I actually do appreciate what he has done for this team and the recent playoff appearances. But the argument I have been making is the same one I made since the first year he was coach of Islanders. His game plan has a "pusher's" mentality to it. In each and every playoff ouster I made the same comments I am making now. Trotz's risk adverse game plan ie. "playing not to lose" lost us every one of those series against the Bolts and I would argue against the Canes as well even though he was not the head coach the final year. This system of his was so indoctrinated into our players that it has taken up to now to let go of it but not necessarily completely. The turtling you see going on with this team is the remnants of the old system. The problem with Trotz's system is that you can't be half committed to it. You are either all in or the systems going to break down and that's what we are seeing when we see the team getting shelled by opposing teams. The Islanders have one foot on the dock and one foot on the boat with Trotz's old system and it's not a safe place to be. That's why as I've said before they need to play more man on man at the blue line and box out in front of the goaltender only when the puck is deep. They need to stand up at the blue line more.

We gave Trotz's system 4 years to work and while it did get this team farther in the playoffs than systems past it ultimately doomed to fail against the better opponents and this happens to the way you beat pushers- with skill. Cooper and Brind'Amour understood this. I'm not diminishing Trotz accomplishments but I am propping up Lambert's system over his simply because as you have seen it works. I am more confident in the way the Islanders are playing the game now then when they were playing the game under Trotz. Too predictable with everything telegraphed. The team is in transition right now but in the right direction. The D needs a little work. Personally I think they need to get more physical. Leeroggy's 100% correct. Trotz system lost more important games than won them. Pushers always get to the big dance but they are always beaten.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Meh. I may be a little hard on Trotz at times as much as I actually do appreciate what he has done for this team and the recent playoff appearances. But the argument I have been making is the same one I made since the first year he was coach of Islanders. His game plan has a "pusher's" mentality to it. In each and every playoff ouster I made the same comments I am making now. Trotz's risk adverse game plan ie. "playing not to lose" lost us every one of those series against the Bolts and I would argue against the Canes as well even though he was not the head coach the final year. This system of his was so indoctrinated into our players that it has taken up to now to let go of it but not necessarily completely. The turtling you see going on with this team is the remnants of the old system. The problem with Trotz's system is that you can't be half committed to it. You are either all in or the systems going to break down and that's what we are seeing when we see the team getting shelled by opposing teams. The Islanders have one foot on the dock and one foot on the boat with Trotz's old system and it's not a safe place to be. That's why as I've said before they need to play more man on man at the blue line and box out in front of the goaltender only when the puck is deep. They need to stand up at the blue line more.

We gave Trotz's system 4 years to work and while it did get this team farther in the playoffs than systems past it ultimately doomed to fail against the better opponents and this happens to the way you beat pushers- with skill. Cooper and Brind'Amour understood this. I'm not diminishing Trotz accomplishments but I am propping up Lambert's system over his simply because as you have seen it works. I am more confident in the way the Islanders are playing the game now then when they were playing the game under Trotz. Too predictable with everything telegraphed. The team is in transition right now but in the right direction. The D needs a little work. Personally I think they need to get more physical. Leeroggy's 100% correct. Trotz system lost more important games than won them. Pushers always get the big dance but they are always beaten.

Yep.

By the way, until the Goring trade, there was a similar complaint about how we tried to be too conservative under Arbour. Losses to more skilled Canadian teams and the two horror shows against the Leafs and the Rangers gave the team a reputation for choking.

The team's OT record from that point on was stellar, and the team finally started to play to win, instead of playing not to lose. It's part of the team lore that when Goring showed up, he was instrumental in communicating to the team how good they were and how respected they were around the league, even if they had self-doubts from the previous 2 upsets to Toronto and NY.

Playing to win is far more important than playing not to lose, and there's a whole industry of sports psychology to infuse that into a professional athlete.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Yep.

By the way, until the Goring trade, there was a similar complaint about how we tried to be too conservative under Arbour. Losses to more skilled Canadian teams and the two horror shows against the Leafs and the Rangers gave the team a reputation for choking.

The team's OT record from that point on was stellar, and the team finally started to play to win, instead of playing not to lose. It's part of the team lore that when Goring showed up, he was instrumental in communicating to the team how good they were and how respected they were around the league, even if they had self-doubts from the previous 2 upsets to Toronto and NY.

Playing to win is far more important than playing not to lose, and there's a whole industry of sports psychology to infuse that into a professional athlete.
1000% agree. I think under Lambert, the mentality of this team is slowly changing.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022

Wut? Pretty sure I addressed every "factual" point you made.

Win the cup? Huh? I don't even know what you're babbling about now.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Wut? Pretty sure I addressed every "factual" point you made.

Win the cup? Huh? I don't even know what you're babbling about now.
Uh huh . . .

"Until he won the Cup in his NINETEENTH year of coaching, he NEVER made it past the 2nd round (and that took him TWELVE years to MAKE the 2nd round) and missed the playoffs 8 times."

Which one of those facts did you address?

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022

We gave Trotz's system 4 years to work and while it did get this team farther in the playoffs than systems past it ultimately doomed to fail against the better opponents and this happens to the way you beat pushers- with skill. Cooper and Brind'Amour understood this. I'm not diminishing Trotz accomplishments but I am propping up Lambert's system over his simply because as you have seen it works. I am more confident in the way the Islanders are playing the game now then when they were playing the game under Trotz. Too predictable with everything telegraphed. The team is in transition right now but in the right direction. The D needs a little work. Personally I think they need to get more physical. Leeroggy's 100% correct. Trotz system lost more important games than won them. Pushers always get to the big dance but they are always beaten.
Saying that Trotz and his system had run it's course (and the team needed a new voice) is one thing. But to suggest that the team underachieved under Trotz is the height of stupidity.

Honest question - during the two playoff runs and semifinal appearances, did ANYONE think "Man, I wish we had a different coach?" I mean that is crazy.

As far as Lambert's system goes, don't you think it's too early to tell? I'm optimistic and happy with the way things are going but find it very bizarre to come to a "thank go Trotz is gone" conclusion based on his 1 1/2 seasons as HC...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad