GDT: GDT #33 New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | December 23rd | 7:30 PM | F/5-4 W

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You honestly think Reilly and Bortuzzo types would have saved that season? Seriously?

My memory is that we were healthy in the 2nd half of the season, when we went 20-17-4, which is also a losing record according to the OT loss scorekeepers. That losing streak was games 10-20.

That's pretty selective to me to only count on the 1st quarter of the season as you did.
That year we needed forwards. But whatever type of player we needed Lou didn’t get. There were games we were putting out as many as 8 AHLers during that stretch and we were buried by the middle of January.

Reactions: Strummergas

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
My memory is that we were healthy in the 2nd half of the season, when we went 20-17-4, which is also a losing record
Pssst... They are 16-8-9 this season under Lambert.

You and Mr. Winehouse have become quite the duo here! Super entertaining.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Pssst... They are 16-8-9 this season under Lambert.

You and Mr. Winehouse have become quite the duo here! Super entertaining.
Hey genius, I worded it that way because people like you want to count the OT losses that way! Welcome to Wednesday. Tomorrow's Thursday. Now go back to rooting for Lane to be fired and remember to cut Barry's grass on Friday.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Hey genius, I worded it that way because people like you want to count the OT losses that way! Welcome to Wednesday. Tomorrow's Thursday. Now go back to rooting for Lane to be fired and remember to cut Barry's grass on Friday.
Lol. I like this guy!

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Completely unprovable. Lou could have hired other coaches too, the availability of Trotz was a gift by Leonsis. There are plenty of competent coaches that could have gotten them into the playoffs in that span.

We were a -1 in goal differential in the regular season in 2019-20. 7th place. Everyone in front of us was at least a +25 that year. 12 teams made the playoffs that year in each conference. We almost blew a 3-1 lead over Philadelphia, losing 2 OT games in Games 5/6. Game 6 was 2 OTs. That's nearly a full game of OT's in 5/6 where we couldn't score a goal.

In 2020-21, we had our best year, with a +28, but we somehow managed to lose Game 7 on a SHORT HAND GOAL. Yeesh.

In 2021-22 we finished UNDER .500 according to the snarks here who count the OT losses that way (37-35-10), or 37-45 according to the Zeekers of the world. Hardly a ringing endorsement of sainthood. We were a -6 in goal differential and finished 16 points out of the playoffs.

All this shows is what I've said many times here, you make the playoffs and take your chances on getting hot at the right time. That isn't coaching at that point, its players making plays at the right time.

My prime issue with the Trotz approach is that it was very taxing physically and mentally and it wears teams/players down. If you want to ask about getting to the ECF, here's an inconvenient fact to ponder; do we make it that far if those two years weren't shortened by Covid? 68 regular season games and 54 games in the 2 years. In the 2 full 82 game seasons, we won one playoff round and didn't make the playoffs. I don't think that is solely a coincidence.
I totally agree that Trotz' approach was very taxing physically and mentally and it wears teams/players down. But, without that approach and without Trotz, there's no way that roster makes the playoffs.

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad