GDT: GDT #33 New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | December 23rd | 7:30 PM | F/5-4 W

Symon Asher

Sep 13, 2011
I cannot wait for that, but I'd like to add a better defenseman even when everyone is healthy.

As mentioned above, this is very true. Lane has a built in excuse right now because of this. It's why I want Pelech/Mayfield/Pulock back ASAP.
Pelech and Pulock have been average at best. Mayfield has been bad. It’s not going to be a big improvement

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
The giveaways tonight were horrid. They couldn't clear the puck or even get it in deep.

If you think the Isles are going to be facing literally beer league level goaltending the playoffs not sure what to tell you.

The clock saved the Isles tonight better than the Canes goalie did pucks.
Giveaways are going to happen when you’re down three of your top six defensemen. Take the two points.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Possibly Reilly will be good fit with Mayfield, should compliment each of their styles. Bolduc really is so soft, doesn’t move puck quick and handles it like it’s an egg.
I keep trying to remember how bad Pelech was when he first started playing and that it takes longer for bigger guys sometimes, but dude he's so bad. Once we're all healthy it's going to feel crazy keeping him on the roster

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I keep trying to remember how bad Pelech was when he first started playing and that it takes longer for bigger guys sometimes, but dude he's so bad. Once we're all healthy it's going to feel crazy keeping him on the roster
They will have nice defense when everyone is healthy, someone will be waived or traded.

Reactions: Osakahaus

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Pelech and Pulock have been average at best. Mayfield has been bad. It’s not going to be a big improvement

I've said it many times before...

Even if all the D-men were healthy I'd want Lou to improve on the position.

That said...Do you watch Isles games? I ask because to think that actual NHL defensemen (Pelech/Puloch/Mayfield) wouldn't be a notable improvement over having to play mistake prone AHL defensemen (Aho/Bolduc) then not sure what to tell you.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I want Lane gone like most, but let's not kid ourselves...

The defense must be improved.

Hopefully Pelech, Pulock, and Mayfield come back ASAP which will help, but as long as guys like Aho/Bolduc are playing valuable minutes we're going to be playing with fire.
Also this is what happens when we play Dobson and Romanov like HALF the game

Reactions: periferal

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Call me an optimist, pessimist, or somewhere in the middle; I'm happy any time NYI beats the Canes in Carolina.

I am more than pleased with the offense, especially the top 2 lines. Both lines look legit. This is the best I've seen Barzal. Nelson is a money goalscorer, elite 2C. When he's engaged he's one of the best players on the ice. Horvat is just what this offense (and Barzal) needed.

Though Dobson and Romanov have taken huge steps this year, they are playing minutes above what they should be. The whole unit is. When Aho avg.'s 20 mins a night, you know you're in trouble. I've pontificated about this since October, this D needs help. It's coaching, systems, personnel, injuries and less then Vezina quality from Sorokin.

You can't give up 4 goals a game, 40+ shots, and expect to win over the course of a full season, let alone, the playoffs. Something has to change on this front.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Call me an optimist, pessimist, or somewhere in the middle; I'm happy any time NYI beats the Canes in Carolina.

I am more than pleased with the offense, especially the top 2 lines. Both lines look legit. This is the best I've seen Barzal. Nelson is a money goalscorer, elite 2C. When he's engaged he's one of the best players on the ice. Horvat is just what this offense (and Barzal) needed.

Though Dobson and Romanov have taken huge steps this year, they are playing minutes above what they should be. The whole unit is. When Aho avg.'s 20 mins a night, you know you're in trouble. I've pontificated about this since October, this D needs help. It's coaching, systems, personnel, injuries and less than Vezina quality from Sorokin.

You can't give up 4 goals a game, 40+ shots, and expect to win over the course of a full season, let alone, the playoffs. Something has to change on this front.
It'll change. Hopefully.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I don’t see much of a difference with these replacements in.

If true....Then you must really love Lou for wasting over $15,000,000 a year on cap space on Pulock, Pelech, and Mayfield when he could just be paying Aho, Bolduc, and Bortuzzo a combined $2,700,000.

Reactions: slurpee addict

Symon Asher

Sep 13, 2011
I've said it many times before...

Even if all the D-men were healthy I'd want Lou to improve on the position.

That said...Do you watch Isles games? I ask because to think that actual NHL defensemen (Pelech/Puloch/Mayfield) wouldn't be a notable improvement over having to play mistake prone AHL defensemen (Aho/Bolduc) then not sure what to tell you.
Been watching since 1975 . Aho and Bolduc haven’t been horrible

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
If true....Then you must really love Lou for wasting over $15,000,000 a year on cap space on Pulock, Pelech, and Mayfield when he could just be paying Aho, Bolduc, and Bortuzzo a combined $2,700,000.

Don't forget Reilly.... How much does he make again?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Something that I actually do like is that their offense has been all over the puck, even when its red line and in.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Fans so badly want prospects to play, but if they are not top 4 or 30G scorers out of the gate, the player kinda gets railroaded (or the team is at fault…).

Pelech was a bit of mess when Snow signed him to his 4year deal post ELC, raising eyebrows. Dobson wasn’t comfortable with puck in his early days, almost grenade-like.

Bukldoc is being asked to do too much because of the injury situation. He’ll settle in eventually, maybe not in 2024, but he’ll get there. I highly doubt, absent some major development for him, that Lou will go into the playoffs with him having a 10min+ role. Lou will make an acquisition for that spot.

Reactions: Lights911

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad