Value of: Gauging Barkov's trade price

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
If I'm a Flames fan, I'm probably looking at Monahan + Gaudreau + Ryan for Barkov, cap balancing and perhaps some solid futures options tossed into the mix.

Conceptually, Flames take one or two steps back in their contention, but bolsters the talent pipeline to help extend their contention window for several seasons. Florida immediately competes as seemingly is the mandate Panthers wants to follow. If JG expresses he wants to walk, they can easily refill their prospect pool by moving JG as a rental after one season (though I'd assume he'd be open to extend). Same with Monahan in 2 (although Monahan would also probably extend).

This isn't a "Oilers are interested, let's go out bid them" situation. Treliving would be evaluating the long term outlook and planning for long term contention and if he thinks Monahan and Gaudreau aren't part of that core that can win it all, he's looking at lateral move options with other teams who are potentially thinking something similar.

Coincidentally, the article says that players with 2 seasons left are at their most valuable...

Flames do not need to move JG. But his dad is raelly high risk for Covid. I could see him open to a deal that moves him closer to home that makes sense for the Flames in the same vein as Hamonic. Moving JG AND Mony is highly unlikely, but if they did need to be moved, it seems like the Panthers are a team worth chatting with to see if there's a fit.

Yeah, I don't think the Oilers would be seriously interested... if they were it would be to upgrade the two-way play of their #2C and keep one of Nuge or Drai. If it were Drai for Barkov+, then the Oil have a big gain on defensive play but lose more offense. If it's Nuge, they'd gain less on defensive play, gain a bit on offense but have to add quite a bit to get Barkov.

Your offer would certainly have some value. Still don't see why Florida would bite though.

Reactions: Fig

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'm not saying Detroit has the horses to make a move in the first place, but the idea that Thomas Greiss would get in the way of making a move that would bring in Barkov is really silly.

Well, when you're dealing with that much money exchanging hands and not much going back out...It's still quite an amount to commit to...I also think Barkov is the only one that will move the needle. The good news is that if Detroit did do this, they no longer have to look for a number 1 centre. I think Larkin is more like a 1B... Then down the middle it's a 1-2 punch and Nielsen..while not as good is at least defensively responsible and has decent possession to handle the third line.

I only thought Ottawa because they can actually take on this massive infusion of cap for a while without skipping a beat. They'd instantly be a bubble team with that 1 move.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Moving Barkov would be crazy unless they knew 100% for sure that he will not resign no matter what .
Even then I would try to change his mind and convince him to stay until every attempt was exhausted.
He would bring in a huge haul if moved... like make your best offer and add two more pieces that you dont want to do / move and you are probably close .
Example from the Devils - Nico or Hughes plus a first plus a prospect or two .

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Moving Barkov would be crazy unless they knew 100% for sure that he will not resign no matter what .
Even then I would try to change his mind and convince him to stay until every attempt was exhausted.
He would bring in a huge haul if moved... like make your best offer and add two more pieces that you dont want to do / move and you are probably close .
Example from the Devils - Nico or Hughes plus a first plus a prospect or two .

Prepare to be disappointed. Find me an example of a middle tier #1C getting that kind of return.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Barkov will walk to FA in 2 seasons unless Florida really gets its act together.

Nearly all teams will be lining up to take a run at Barkov and honestly think the Rangers will push the hardest.
The rangers wouldn’t be able to afford Barkov. Lafreniere, Kakko, Zibanejad, Shesterkin will need new contracts and they are already overpaying Trouba.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I don't see why FLA would do that. They have a strong team, they need small adjustments but they have a top C, a top goalie who is expected to wake up at some point (under a stupid contract though), a top 1D, have improved Offense with Hornqvist and Defense with Nutivaara... I think they should rather add than substract. And they have two top players under bargain contracts

How have they improved their offense by letting Hoffman and Dadanov go?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I don't see why FLA would do that. They have a strong team, they need small adjustments but they have a top C, a top goalie who is expected to wake up at some point (under a stupid contract though), a top 1D, have improved Offense with Hornqvist and Defense with Nutivaara... I think they should rather add than substract. And they have two top players under bargain contracts

How have they improved their offense by letting Hoffman and Dadanov go and adding Hornqvist and Wennberg?

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Plenty of teams are projected to have a boatload off money two years out. A large amount of contracts expire in the next 2 years. The teams that will be able to make a competetive offer for Barkov are the teams that don’t replace the expiring contracts with other expensive players. I think there will probably be 5-7 teams who have a realistic shot at making a decent offer for him.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Plenty of teams are projected to have a boatload off money two years out. A large amount of contracts expire in the next 2 years. The teams that will be able to make a competetive offer for Barkov are the teams that don’t replace the expiring contracts with other expensive players. I think there will probably be 5-7 teams who have a realistic shot at making a decent offer for him.

How high they willing to go?
15 million per year?
FLA can offer 8yrs × 13mil ($104 mil total) to cheat other offers

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
How high they willing to go?
15 million per year?
FLA can offer 8yrs × 13mil ($104 mil total) to cheat other offers
I don’t know, tbh. I do know that Florida has an advantage at this point. They can offer the term. I don’t know how much that would matter though if he’s already made it up in his mind that he’s going to try something new. I think, in that event, whatever team trades for him as a rental will have the best shot at signing him.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
A 25 year old 6'3" true No.1 C ? Even if you are rebuilding you keep this guy. You could have a lotto pick for 10 straight years and not draft a guy like this.

Have to do everything to keep a player like this. You sure do not trade him unless its his UFA year and he refuses to sign no matter what.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don’t know, tbh. I do know that Florida has an advantage at this point. They can offer the term. I don’t know how much that would matter though if he’s already made it up in his mind that he’s going to try something new. I think, in that event, whatever team trades for him as a rental will have the best shot at signing him.

True. If he has his mind made up then you can't stop him. I think Zito will know the end of this year if he wants to come back. Barkov doesn't come across as someone who would pigeonhole the team and keep us guessing. If he doesn't re-sign in July 2021 in FLA, he's probably gone. Some players want to feel the bright lights of UFA and choose their destiny. Barkov seems loyal like Mikko Koivu.

There's no way Zito trades him this year imo, Zito was gushing about him after being hired. He will likely do whatever needed to meet most if not all of his asks to ink him for 8 years.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah, he is next years question,if he doesnt want to resign with FLD...No chance does FLD move him this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad