Value of: Gauging Barkov's trade price

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Yesterday The Athletic published an article that was used as a reference by MTV, a news outlet here in Finland, also yesterday.
The Athletic link
The MTV link

The Finnish article stated the following about a nameless GM's thoughts;
''Players are always the most valuable 2 years before they enter free agency. If I had Barkov and I didn't believe that he would renew his contract, I would want to get rid of him. He would be worth a formidable amount when he would have 2 years left on his contract.''

He has 2 years left on his contract.

1. Is Barkov rumored to not renew his contract?
2. What would the appropriate trade price be if a potential suitor would entertain getting him on board?

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
At best, you trade him at the deadline. You're paying enough to Bobrovsky to give him a chance at getting his shit together before you start shipping off the only hopes of the roster.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Trading a number 1C is insane if you don't have a replacement. Some teams search for years, if not decades for one. Don't be foolish.

OR

Trade Bobrovsky and add Barkov as a sweetener..might knock you a step back, but you have enough of the cap to take advantage of this covid situation and you might come out as a better team in the end

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Trading a number 1C is insane if you don't have a replacement. Some teams search for years, if not decades for one. Don't be foolish.

OR

Trade Bobrovsky and add Barkov as a sweetener..might knock you a step back, but you have enough of the cap to take advantage of this covid situation and you might come out as a better team in the end

Given the Covid situation, nobody can take both players under the cap... especially not a contending team who would have interest in Barkov...

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I don't see why FLA would do that. They have a strong team, they need small adjustments but they have a top C, a top goalie who is expected to wake up at some point (under a stupid contract though), a top 1D, have improved Offense with Hornqvist and Defense with Nutivaara... I think they should rather add than substract. And they have two top players under bargain contracts

Reactions: Allan92

Rangeri

Sep 29, 2020
Lapland
You will not get back same kind of value. He has one of the best contracts in the league.

I wouldn't even think about trading him if there is even a chance he will re-sign.

Edit: And what I mean by that, this conversation comes too soon. Maybe when its his contract year, and its obvious he wants to hit the free agency. But not now.

Reactions: BHD

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

OR

this limits your trade partners to detroit.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Given the Covid situation, nobody can take both players under the cap... especially not a contending team who would have interest in Barkov...

I was thinking more specifically of Ottawa OR Seattle. I don't think Detroit would do it since they just signed Greiss.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Flames offer Monahan with pluses. Monahan will be shit on by HF because clueless fans, but he is a #1 center (not elite, but still a #1 center) and I don't see any other team offering up their #1 center who is the same age.

I can't see Florida letting him go though, they'll offer him Eichel money in 2 years.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Good news, the league has already pre-emptively cleared Vegas of tampering charges, so LeBrun can spend the next two years giving us monthly updates about how “strongly interested” they are.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I was thinking more specifically of Ottawa OR Seattle. I don't think Detroit would do it since they just signed Greiss.
Bobrovsky does not make sense for OTT, too many real dollars, and they just signed Murray. Seattle is a new team, I think they will try to build up a fan base like VGK did, how do you do that with a 10m goalie if he does not get better ? If he does most likely FLA would not use him to dump Barkov, right ?

Shot of Bailey

Apr 9, 2013
PEI, Canada
For Barkov....the return would need to be very big. As an Islander fan, I would find it hard to put the right package together without involving Barzal. I would have to think the Isles offer would look like this:
Brock Nelson
Oliver Whalstrom
2021 1st
2021 2nd
2022 2nd

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Barkov will walk to FA in 2 seasons unless Florida really gets its act together.

Nearly all teams will be lining up to take a run at Barkov and honestly think the Rangers will push the hardest.
Link?
Barkov and Yandle spent the last several days calling every new FA signee to welcome them to the team.

but, keep dreaming I guess.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Yesterday The Athletic published an article that was used as a reference by MTV, a news outlet here in Finland, also yesterday.
The Athletic link
The MTV link

The Finnish article stated the following about a nameless GM's thoughts;
''Players are always the most valuable 2 years before they enter free agency. If I had Barkov and I didn't believe that he would renew his contract, I would want to get rid of him. He would be worth a formidable amount when he would have 2 years left on his contract.''

He has 2 years left on his contract.

1. Is Barkov rumored to not renew his contract?
2. What would the appropriate trade price be if a potential suitor would entertain getting him on board?

Aside from the specific rumors about Barkov, I have not seen evidence that players are most valuable with 2 years left on their contract.

With 1 year left, you can negotiate an extension with the player you acquire. That's a benefit you don't get with 2 years remaining. And why 2 years would be more valuable than 3,4,5 years remaining for superstars is something that would need to be explained.

I can understand 1 year contracts in the current Covid environment, but by any measure you have to assume the world will return to allowing people to attend sporting events within the next 2 years, making long-term contracts feasible again. If not, the NHL has bigger issues than a long-term contract.

Also, 2 years this season adds to the people you need to protect for the expansion draft. So again, there's no benefit to 2 years over a longer term contract if the player is good enough to merit protection.

Can someone explain why 2 years left on a contract would be the most valuable?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Aside from the specific rumors about Barkov, I have not seen evidence that players are most valuable with 2 years left on their contract.

With 1 year left, you can negotiate an extension with the player you acquire. That's a benefit you don't get with 2 years remaining. And why 2 years would be more valuable than 3,4,5 years remaining for superstars is something that would need to be explained.

I can understand 1 year contracts in the current Covid environment, but by any measure you have to assume the world will return to allowing people to attend sporting events within the next 2 years, making long-term contracts feasible again. If not, the NHL has bigger issues than a long-term contract.

Also, 2 years this season adds to the people you need to protect for the expansion draft. So again, there's no benefit to 2 years over a longer term contract if the player is good enough to merit protection.

Can someone explain why 2 years left on a contract would be the most valuable?

Only reason thats 2 years is more valuable because its rare you move elite players (#1C or #1D and even #1W sometimes) with more than 2 years left.
Typically big market players are moved with a year or less left on their deal or simply walk in free agency.

As for the rumors a couple months ago, posters were asking about Ekblad but FLA fans kept asking why would anyone move a #1 RD with 5 years left unless he asks for a trade.

I can see why people are bringing up Barkov, 2 years left and FLA has done Jack squat since he's been here but he was named Captain, seems shy/reserved, not a big market guy and Zito has made sure to have a ton of money ready for him when due.

I'd put the chances of Barkov re-signing in FLA around 60% imo. Zito can renegotiate as early as 2021 off season. 8 years x $10 million, maybe slightly higher if cap goes up again that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad