Value of: Gauging Barkov's trade price

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Only reason thats 2 years is more valuable because its rare you move elite players (#1C or #1D and even #1W sometimes) with more than 2 years left.
Typically big market players are moved with a year or less left on their deal or simply walk in free agency.

As for the rumors a couple months ago, posters were asking about Ekblad but FLA fans kept asking why would anyone move a #1 RD with 5 years left unless he asks for a trade.

I can see why people are bringing up Barkov, 2 years left and FLA has done Jack squat since he's been here but he was named Captain, seems shy/reserved, not a big market guy and Zito has made sure to have a ton of money ready for him when due.

I'd put the chances of Barkov re-signing in FLA around 60% imo. Zito can renegotiate as early as 2021 off season. 8 years x $10 million, maybe slightly higher if cap goes up again that year.

But that's why franchise players are easier to acquire with 2 years left, not why the superstar himself is most valuable with 2 years left.

I can understand the argument that Barkov or Ekblad with 2 years left is tradable; Barkov or Ekblad with 5 years left is not. But that would indicate a superstar with 5 years left is more valuable, perhaps even too valuable to trade. Not less.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
But that's why franchise players are easier to acquire with 2 years left, not why the superstar himself is most valuable with 2 years left.

I can understand the argument that Barkov or Ekblad with 2 years left is tradable; Barkov or Ekblad with 5 years left is not. But that would indicate a superstar with 5 years left is more valuable, perhaps even too valuable to trade. Not less.

Ya I don't get the argument either, maybe it wasn't worded properly?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Barkov will walk to FA in 2 seasons unless Florida really gets its act together.

Nearly all teams will be lining up to take a run at Barkov and honestly think the Rangers will push the hardest.

They have

Hubs-Barkov
Lundell- Tippett

Ekblad

Knight
To build around with a smart looking Gm.

It’s going to take couple of years but they’ll get it together

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I thought there was a pretty clear message that 1 player was untouchable on that roster= Barkov
Yes, I think that was stated in the same interview where he was asked about the internal cap/payroll cutting. Zito’s reply was, “Where’d you hear that? No one has said anything to me about that.”

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Link?
Barkov and Yandle spent the last several days calling every new FA signee to welcome them to the team.

but, keep dreaming I guess.
So because a player welcomes a newly signed teammate to the team you think they will never leave?

Can you imagine Barkov hitting UFA? A 26 year old First line center hitting UFA. Every team will be pushing to sign him.

He has age as a huge advantage going into UFA. Most Elite UFA's will hit the market at around 29/30 and get there big payday.

Barkov has a good 3/4 years on them much like Stamkos did when he hit the market. Yes, he re-signed with Tampa who were and are a top contending team and current champions.

There is not much in Florida other than a tax break to convince him to stay. Success and being a contender is definitely not the reason.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I was thinking more specifically of Ottawa OR Seattle. I don't think Detroit would do it since they just signed Greiss.

I'm not saying Detroit has the horses to make a move in the first place, but the idea that Thomas Greiss would get in the way of making a move that would bring in Barkov is really silly.

Reactions: Reddwit

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So because a player welcomes a newly signed teammate to the team you think they will never leave?

Can you imagine Barkov hitting UFA? A 26 year old First line center hitting UFA. Every team will be pushing to sign him.

He has age as a huge advantage going into UFA. Most Elite UFA's will hit the market at around 29/30 and get there big payday.

Barkov has a good 3/4 years on them much like Stamkos did when he hit the market. Yes, he re-signed with Tampa who were and are a top contending team and current champions.

There is not much in Florida other than a tax break to convince him to stay. Success and being a contender is definitely not the reason.

What top 5 teams do you think he will sign with if not FLA?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Barkov will walk to FA in 2 seasons unless Florida really gets its act together.

Nearly all teams will be lining up to take a run at Barkov and honestly think the Rangers will push the hardest.

I don't know if it would be the Rangers who would push the hardest... it's possible that VGK will trade Pietrangelo for a 2nd, so that they can attempt to squeeze in their new shiny toy in Barkov.

===================

I can't believe that Florida wouldn't do everything in their power to keep Barkov. The team would be a disaster without him.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

so, no link, just a lot of hope. Lol oh ok.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Only reason thats 2 years is more valuable because its rare you move elite players (#1C or #1D and even #1W sometimes) with more than 2 years left.
Typically big market players are moved with a year or less left on their deal or simply walk in free agency.

As for the rumors a couple months ago, posters were asking about Ekblad but FLA fans kept asking why would anyone move a #1 RD with 5 years left unless he asks for a trade.

I can see why people are bringing up Barkov, 2 years left and FLA has done Jack squat since he's been here but he was named Captain, seems shy/reserved, not a big market guy and Zito has made sure to have a ton of money ready for him when due.

I'd put the chances of Barkov re-signing in FLA around 60% imo. Zito can renegotiate as early as 2021 off season. 8 years x $10 million, maybe slightly higher if cap goes up again that year.

1.Barkov goes nowhere unless HE wants out.
2. FL will do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to keep him
3. Outside chance he wants out --- test the market, any reason, whetev
Expect if that is the case [and he is aware of it not at last minute]
he will be standup guy and tell FL
No reason to think this player is at odds w/club mgmt
4. IF IF IF IF all of the above notwithstanding, THEN moving him sooner than later does make more sense b'c acquiring club has more time to utilize his production under existing contract.
5. Teams would line up and
6. NYR would back up the truck to the pt it makes sense w/o gutting the team. Would likely top most if not all offers, overpaying within reason.

Enjoy your star.
If things change just remember pls to keep Gorton on speed dial

Reactions: violaswallet

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Aside from the specific rumors about Barkov, I have not seen evidence that players are most valuable with 2 years left on their contract.

With 1 year left, you can negotiate an extension with the player you acquire. That's a benefit you don't get with 2 years remaining. And why 2 years would be more valuable than 3,4,5 years remaining for superstars is something that would need to be explained.

I can understand 1 year contracts in the current Covid environment, but by any measure you have to assume the world will return to allowing people to attend sporting events within the next 2 years, making long-term contracts feasible again. If not, the NHL has bigger issues than a long-term contract.

Also, 2 years this season adds to the people you need to protect for the expansion draft. So again, there's no benefit to 2 years over a longer term contract if the player is good enough to merit protection.

Can someone explain why 2 years left on a contract would be the most valuable?

pls see my post 36, #4

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Again. That's why 2 years might be more valuable than 1.
But why would it be more valuable than 3 or 4 years left?

Perception is club holding contract wants that much more and then some to fork primo player over earlier.
Around 2 yrs begins the sweet spot where club w/contract has to weigh
risk of diminishing return in trade swag vs player production
vs
max trade swag now being put to use

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa

Florida is a better team than the Rangers are and were a lucky 1OA pick away from having a brighter future, it's a shame they didn't get their act together and pick up that 1OA.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
For Barkov....the return would need to be very big. As an Islander fan, I would find it hard to put the right package together without involving Barzal. I would have to think the Isles offer would look like this:
Brock Nelson
Oliver Whalstrom
2021 1st
2021 2nd
2022 2nd
Dude you're not even close to getting Barkov with that package, Might as well thrown in Noah Dobson in as well. Nelson doesn't even start the conversation with Barkov you're already looking at close to $10 mil per for Barzal so are you really going to throw another $10 mil per for Barkov in 2 years as well. Good luck with that.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Boston.

The Bruins are going to have a huge hole down the middle and a tonne of cap space right when he hits free agency.

This sounds exactly like Florida too. I'm sure they will put aside at least $15 million for him just in case, they currently have just under $40 mil open in 2022-23.

Is Boston going to be as attractive of a destination in 2 years as they've been the last decade or so? They have some nice pieces for sure but losing pretty much all of their top LD, their two top 6 Cs and possibly a starting goalie doesn't scream winner but Bruins have been good at patching holes, just uncertain they can keep doing it while keeping draft capital and developing high end prospects you get by being a bottom 10 team.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

And thats why 1 year before, the contract is done, you can re-sign a Player as the Team have him. And i think if not on first or second Day on the "NEXT" FA Phase this contract is re-signed, we will have an interisting FA Time.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Florida is a better team than the Rangers are and were a lucky 1OA pick away from having a brighter future, it's a shame they didn't get their act together and pick up that 1OA.

No, they really aren't. Yes we got lucky with the lottery but we have re-built very well outside that.

We made some very strong trades to accumulate assets and used a lot of these wisely.

Florida has lost 2x top players which contributed over 100 points last season and replaced them with middle/bottom 6 players.

Florida is going backwards at the moment.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
This sounds exactly like Florida too. I'm sure they will put aside at least $15 million for him just in case.

Why they should do this, Florida can re-sign him 1 year earlier before every talk comes up. With the Cap hit comes in when Stralman contract runs out. 5 million alone open in cap from stralman. next year on the you have the same Situation with Hörqvist and Huberdeau also 5 Million cap space.
This GM really had his thought upfront.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad