Gaudreau, Monahan, & Tkachuk vs Horvat, Pettersson, & Boeser

who do you take

• Total voters

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Pretty inaccurate.
In what world is Horvat Monahan's equivalent?
And Boeser=Tkachuk? That one's even more unbelievable.

You can easily make a case for Horvat and Monahan being equal. Monahan plays with Gaudreau and Tkachuk, Horvat plays with Eriksson and Virtanen. Is it not conceivable that Horvat would have better offensive numbers with two offensive juggernauts on his line in comparison to that trash?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You can easily make a case for Horvat and Monahan being equal. Monahan plays with Gaudreau and Tkachuk, Horvat plays with Eriksson and Virtanen. Is it not conceivable that Horvat would have better offensive numbers with two offensive juggernauts on his line in comparison to that trash?
Monahan doesn't play with Tkachuk. But I agree Horvat > Monahan

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Calgary, not close as of today.

Gaudreau >> EP
Gaudreau is one of the best players, in general, in the NHL, this season.

Tkachuk >> Boeser
Boeser for those who are completely unaware, is actually older than Matt Tkachuk. Matty's the more complete player, the one you can march out late in game if need be; also that doesn't include his penalties drawn/overall pestiness.

Monahan = Horvat
Both good 1B centres. Monahan is a more gifted goal scorer, Horvat probably more all-around skill.

This could be very different in two years. As of right now, not close. Matt Tkachuk is also one of the most underrated players in the entire NHL.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I think that Bo Horvat is the tipping factor for the Canucks trio.
Defensive capabilities, as well as being the centre piece on a separate line.

Depth is key for success and having two really good centres wins this debate for me.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He is better than Pettersson today. I think Pettersson will be better next year, with the edge being at least on the defensive side, but that is very debatable.

Sometime growth is not a straight curve....look at Boeser for your own example

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
I think Grudreau is the best player in the league right now bar none. He does the most with the least help. He is unbelievable. I'm a Leaf fan... Mcdavid is the only player worth more and he isn't playing as well as him this year.

So with that being said I'll take the side with who I think is the second most valuable player in the league...

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Slightly off topic but when people suggest Benning is doing a 'good job' considering how close the Canucks core forward trio is to Calgary I like to compare the rest of the rosters. Sorted by cap hit:

Neal
Backlund
Lindholm
Frolik
Ryan
Bennet
Jankowski
Czarnick
Hathaway

Giordano
Hanafin
Brodie
Hamonic
Stone
Valimaki

Smith
Rittich

VS

Eriksson
Sutter
Baerstchi
Roussel
Beagle
Schaller
Granlund
Virtanen
Leivo/Goldobin

Edler
Tanev
Gubranson
Del Zotto
Hutton
Stecher

Markstrom
Demko

Really illustrates why Calgary is leading the division and Vancouver is out of a playoff spot.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Calgary, not close as of today.

Gaudreau >> EP
Gaudreau is one of the best players, in general, in the NHL, this season.

Tkachuk >> Boeser
Boeser for those who are completely unaware, is actually older than Matt Tkachuk. Matty's the more complete player, the one you can march out late in game if need be; also that doesn't include his penalties drawn/overall pestiness.

Monahan = Horvat
Both good 1B centres. Monahan is a more gifted goal scorer, Horvat probably more all-around skill.

This could be very different in two years. As of right now, not close. Matt Tkachuk is also one of the most underrated players in the entire NHL.

I don't usually agree with this man but pretty spot on here. The edge really comes down to the fact Tkachuk is a much, much better all around player than Boeser and it's not even that close. Gaudreau/EP is a fun debate but the way Johnny is playing right now it'd be hard to argue he's not better as of right now. I do however think long term EP is the best of the bunch.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I think Grudreau is the best player in the league right now bar none. He does the most with the least help. He is unbelievable. I'm a Leaf fan... Mcdavid is the only player worth more and he isn't playing as well as him this year.

So with that being said I'll take the side with who I think is the second most valuable player in the league...

You wut m8? He's on one of the best 1st lines in the league and one of the most stacked PPs in the league (Gio, Johnny, Monahan, Tkachuk and Lindholm). Terrible argument to make even if Johnny is playing ridiculous right now.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
When Vancouver kids grow up they want to be the Calgary's guys.

They could get there but you take the sure thing.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I thought this thread had mercifully died. for 'Nuck fans, what with the way Gaudreau and Co. have been ripping it up so far.

Johnny - 64 pts
Mony - 54 pts
Chucky - 50 pts

All in 44 games. All 3 players are on pace for approximately 100 pt or more seasons.

Hugh Mungus

Feb 1, 2017
nucks nation
Gaudreau imo is the MVP front runner right now. It's hard to vote against that as much as I love the Canucks guys. Tkachuk and boeser are a toss up for the future but right now tkachuk is playing better. And Monahan and horvat is also a toss up, Monahan is unbelievable in tight with his release.

It's the flames kids for now

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Even when Monahan is on pace for a 100 point season, bum Horvat is still better.

There is no one on these boards more overrated than Horvat, nor is there anyone more underrated than Monahan.

Like I get choosing EP over Gaudreau going forward because of age, but in no f***ing metric, no universe is Bo f***ing Horvat better than Monahan at literally anything in the game of hockey. NOTHING.

Boumsalot

Sponge boob
Dec 15, 2014
At Home
Even when Monahan is on pace for a 100 point season, bum Horvat is still better.

There is no one on these boards more overrated than Horvat, nor is there anyone more underrated than Monahan.

Like I get choosing EP over Gaudreau going forward because of age, but in no ****ing metric, no universe is Bo ****ing Horvat better than Monahan at literally anything in the game of hockey. NOTHING.
Horvat is probably a superior skater tbh, but Monahan knows how to score goals better which is more important in my opinion.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I love the Flames' core and I think they're winning a Cup soon. Obviously they're further developed than the Canucks are.

That said, for the future, I take the group with Pettersson in it. I really believe he has generational potential.

Reactions: travis scott

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad