Gaudreau, Monahan, & Tkachuk vs Horvat, Pettersson, & Boeser

who do you take

• Total voters

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Monahan is ahead of Horvat as of now but its close.

I wouldnt say Tkachuk is ahead of Boeser either. Boeser was much better last year and he started out slow with injury issues. He had serious back surgery and later on missed another 12 games. Not like Boeser is struggling, hes on pace for 40 goals.

Tkachuk is younger, out producing, and has more elements to his overall game. He is a far more valuable player than Boeser.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Tkachuk is younger, out producing, and has more elements to his overall game. He is a far more valuable player than Boeser.

Tkachuk is younger by 9 months. If you wanna be that person then i never want to see you compare two players who arent born on the same day and year.

Other elements to his game sure ill give you that, but that doesnt separate the two by that much.

Goal scorers traditionally get less points.

Out producing but not by much either. Boeser had an extremely slow start. And also Boeser was more productive last year.

This year and last year combined

Tkachuk = .85 ppg
Boeser = .90 ppg

I will concede that Tkachuk is a bit more valuable as of right now. But its not by as much as you think.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Canucks. EP is the best asset by a good measure and both Horvat and Boeser are players with rare and valuable skillsets. Pretty close though as Flames trio is impressive as well.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
Flames have been finishing close to the bottom every year as well even though you guys are supposed to be close to contending

The flames have been 25 and 11 points above the canucks the past 2 years and this year are a top 5 team while the canucks are once again a bottom 10 team even with their recent hot streak and markstrom putting up 94% save percentages and playing the best hockey of his career. Like I said, we’ll see how the season shakes down in the end.

As for the poll, pettersson has a good chance to be the best player out of the bunch but the 3 flames players are all ahead right now of the other 2 canucks players and are the same age. But also, so what? Go ask Edmonton where having 2-3 good young players, including a generational talent, on a horribly managed team gets you.

The timing of the poll and arbitrarily limiting core players to 3 (it can’t be because the canucks don’t have any promising players contributing besides their 3 good players can it?) suggests premature triumphalism.

Nipsey

Aug 8, 2018
Canucks very easily. They actually have a Franchise Center in Elias Pettersson something the flames don't have and will be why they'll be nothing more than at best a 2nd round playoff team.

Pettersson>Gaudreau going forward
Boeser>Tkachuk going forward
Horvat>Monahan going forward ( Monahan can't drive play like Horvat can)

In terms of value.

Pettersson
Gaudreau
Boeser
Tkachuk/Horvat
Monahan

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Canucks very easily. They actually have a Franchise Center in Elias Pettersson something the flames don't have and will be why they'll be nothing more than at best a 2nd round playoff team.

Pettersson>Gaudreau going forward
Boeser>Tkachuk going forward
Horvat>Monahan going forward ( Monahan can't drive play like Horvat can)

In terms of value.

Pettersson
Gaudreau
Boeser
Tkachuk/Horvat
Monahan
U really have Boeser over Horvat/Tkachuk and Monahan?

Nipsey

Aug 8, 2018
U really have Boeser over Horvat/Tkachuk and Monahan?

A player that can put up 40 goals every year, absolutely. He does the hardest thing to do in this league at an elite level.

He has the highest GPG from the stacked 2015 draft and will likely be the best goal scorer from that draft.

Just a hair behind the top guys in 2016 as well. Through their first 90 career games

Matthews - 47 goals
Laine - 45 goals
Boeser -42 goals

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Horvat>Monohan
Boeser<Tkachuk
Gaudreau>Petersson

Boeser vs Tkachuk could change season to season.
I think long term Pettersson will at least match Gaudreaus production so I put more value in the 1-2 punch at C.

Van for me.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
First off, anyone putting Pettersson ahead of Gaudreau now because he's scored at a good (but significantly slower pace than Gaudreau has) this season over 30 games needs to check themselves. Gaudreau is already at Petterssons highest level. Top 5 in scoring and on pace for over 100 points, that's the best you can hope for any player and Gaudreau is there. You don't just put a rookie ahead of a player like that because he's played well for 30 games.

Second, Monahan is better than Horvat in every statistical measure.

Third, Tkachuk is a throw in here, we also have Lindholm who is as good as Tkachuk and Monahan and is the same age as Monahan and Horvat. Just a minor detail that is being ignored here.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
First off, anyone putting Pettersson ahead of Gaudreau now because he's scored at a good (but significantly slower pace than Gaudreau has) this season over 30 games needs to check themselves. Gaudreau is already at Petterssons highest level. Top 5 in scoring and on pace for over 100 points, that's the best you can hope for any player and Gaudreau is there. You don't just put a rookie ahead of a player like that because he's played well for 30 games.

Third, Tkachuk is a throw in here, we also have Lindholm who is as good as Tkachuk and Monahan and is the same age as Monahan and Horvat. Just a minor detail that is being ignored here.

If your starting a franchise idk why you would pick Gaudreau over EP. Especially considering the big age gap and EP is a C.

OrrwastheBeatles

Oct 11, 2011
Poll is about comparing 3 players to 3 players...proceeds to say it's not close due to all these other players...
The poll was created with 3 players each, because that is all the Canucks have for this argument. I mentioned Lindholm because having a 4th player at the same level is rather a big deal. Also, that's kind of the point of conversation - bringing up other relevant points to add colour to the topic.

As for the other players mentioned, I was simply replying to others that - you know - brought up other players.

Reactions: goku420

OrrwastheBeatles

Oct 11, 2011
A player that can put up 40 goals every year, absolutely. He does the hardest thing to do in this league at an elite level.

He has the highest GPG from the stacked 2015 draft and will likely be the best goal scorer from that draft.

Just a hair behind the top guys in 2016 as well. Through their first 90 career games

Matthews - 47 goals
Laine - 45 goals
Boeser -42 goals
The fact that he has never actually put up 40 goals being merely a minor detail.

Monahan was on pace for 40 last year until injuries derailed him. And he is on pace for 44 this year. But that doesn't fit the narrative.

Reactions: Steven

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
The poll was created with 3 players each, because that is all the Canucks have for this argument. I mentioned Lindholm because having a 4th player at the same level is rather a big deal. Also, that's kind of the point of conversation - bringing up other relevant points to add colour to the topic.

As for the other players mentioned, I was simply replying to others that - you know - brought up other players.

Exactly. I'm sure the Oilers would win a fair share of top 2 or top 3 players head to head polls but that doesn't exactly prove much.

and since one game sample sizes are so important, what does the Canucks' can't miss core getting shut out by a Hall-less Devils team say about them?

Canucks777

Jun 17, 2018

Limdholm is not better than Horvat. He is benefiting from his linemates in Calgary. This year, Horvat has played almost exclusively on shutdown lines. He has played quite a bit with Roussel, Schaller, Eriksson, etc... He creates his own offence. He's on pace for 70 points and over 30 goals, without playing with Boeser, Pettersson or even Baertschi. Put him on a line with some better offensive players and he would get 70-80 points every year.

I know I might sound like an idiot because I'm a Canucks fan but Horvat is extremely underrated. I'm not saying he's a superstar like Gaudreau, but he just a tier below. His defensive game, leadership and work ethic are fantastic.

For me (right now) it's:

Gaudreau

Pettersson

Horvat
(Very small difference) Tkachuk
Monahan
Boeser

Btw I would take Calgarys young guys right now but it is close and I hope that changes in the near future

Last edited:

Canucks777

Jun 17, 2018
The fact that he has never actually put up 40 goals being merely a minor detail.

Monahan was on pace for 40 last year until injuries derailed him. And he is on pace for 44 this year. But that doesn't fit the narrative.
Well you're right but "never" is a little misleading as he has played 1 season and got injured and missed the last quarter of the it. Come to think of it, he has "never" even scored 30 before. In all seriousness, if he didn't get injured, he could have actually got 40. If he stays on Peteys wing he WILL be a perennial 40 goal scorer, there's no question about it.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
For me EP is the best player out of the 6.

Monahan = Horvat: Both guys bring different skillsets to the table and you can't go wrong with either moving forward. Both are low end #1Cs but would play #2C on a true contender.
Tkachuk > Boeser: Tkachuk impacts the game more while probably producing just as much points.

I'd say draw.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

well yeah... if the Canucks had a fourth good young player I would have done a 4x4 comparison but alas they do not so we are stuck comparing the top 3 of each team

unless youd like me to add Bennett and Virtanen

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Tonight's final tally against the Sharks:

Monahan - 5 pts (5 assists)
Gaudreau - 4 pts (2 goals 2 assists)
Tkachuk - 4 pts (2 goals 2 assists)

Ad

Upcoming events