Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Gaudreau + Monahan + Tkachuk = 136 pts this year or 1.16 pts/game
Petterson + Horvat + Boeser = 100 pts this year or 0.96 pts/game

The answer is pretty obvious.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Chemistry is an all-too-rare quality, and it's as much a testament to Gaudreau as it is to Monahan that they're able to click so well. Hall played poorly with McDavid. There's no guarantee that Horvat would do well with Gaudreau.

Agree with this, Sean is under appreciated as he is a very good scoring center in the mold of Claude giroux (in terms of production being greater than his rep)

Also, to call Monahan a mediocre 2C is hilariously disingenuous garbage.

Ya mediocre 1st liner maybe, which is till extremely good.

First, it's spelled Gaudreau. Second, ok that's fine, Horvat can be a 60-point player, but Monahan's on pace for like 85 this year so that doesn't really matter anyway.

Horvat is more like a 70 point player and his other stuff trumps the 85 point Monahan 8 days a week IMO.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Giordano carrying the flames team to top in the west or what? Flames core right now its not close.
I agree the Flames are a much better team.
Their defense is way better and not just Gio.
But in terms of the top three forwards the words ‘it’s not close’ should not be used.
I’d take the Flames slightly right now but going forward I think EP will be the clear best of the six. A franchise center. He’s already in elite company at this point
compared to other rookies.
So Canucks trio as soon as next year.

OrrwastheBeatles

Oct 11, 2011
Some pretty homerish Canuck takes in here.

The Flames' trio is clearly better, regardless of how much of a Nuck fan you are. And then there is the small detail of one Elias Lindholm, who is as good as Monahan and Tkachuk, making the Flames' core that much deeper.

If you want to make head to head comparisons, Gaudreau and Pettersson are both offensive superstars. If you're going to try and argue that Horvat is better than Monahan because he plays tough defensive minutes (even though it's a bad argument), then let's compare Lindholm to Horvat: better offensively, and easily as strong 200 ft game - advantage Lindholm. Then we can compare goal scorers, and Monahan is better than Boeser. Then we have Tkachuk, who Vancouver simply has no match for. It just isn't close.

And to those saying that Giordano helps the Flames' core, well yeah, that's because Giordano is also a star which - you know - makes the Flames' core all the more deeper still.

Hughes and Juolevi? Hanifin (21), Valimaki (20), Andersson (22) and Kylington (21), who are all in the NHL already, say hi.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I agree but I think Tkachuk is slightly better than Horvat and that Boeser is pretty equal to Monahan.

For their careers I see it shaking out like this.

EP40
Tkachuk

Johnny hockey

Horvat/Boeser/Monahan

I put BB up against Tkachuk and BoHo against Monahan because c vs w plus closer draft years

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I put BB up against Tkachuk and BoHo against Monahan because c vs w plus closer draft years

Horvat is 23 while Monahan is 23
Boeser is 21 while Tkachuk is 20

Both Calgary players have had better starts to their careers and are tracking well.

Monahan can be caught by Horvat more easily than Boeser catching Tkachuk.

cowgirlcath

Johnny Mony and Cathy
Jul 9, 2018
Calgary

The Flames' trio is clearly better, regardless of how much of a Nuck fan you are. And then there is the small detail of one Elias Lindholm, who is as good as Monahan and Tkachuk, making the Flames' core that much deeper.

If you want to make head to head comparisons, Gaudreau and Pettersson are both offensive superstars. If you're going to try and argue that Horvat is better than Monahan because he plays tough defensive minutes (even though it's a bad argument), then let's compare Lindholm to Horvat: better offensively, and easily as strong 200 ft game - advantage Lindholm. Then we can compare goal scorers, and Monahan is better than Boeser. Then we have Tkachuk, who Vancouver simply has no match for. It just isn't close.

And to those saying that Giordano helps the Flames' core, well yeah, that's because Giordano is also a star which - you know - makes the Flames' core all the more deeper still.

Hughes and Juolevi? Hanifin (21), Valimaki (20), Andersson (22) and Kylington (21), who are all in the NHL already, say hi.
”Some pretty homerish Canucks takes in here”... Proceeds to say Lindholm is as good as Monahan and Tkachuk and should be compared to Horvat. Cringe.

I’d take Flames trio now. Canucks trio in the future.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The Flames trio have their team at the top of the division. The Canucks trio have them out of the playoff even after a hot streak.

Plus they have the stats

Right now it's not even close. Anybody else voting otherwise is on weed or has hfboard prospect syndrome

In the future it may get closer but nobody knows the future and it's not like the Flames trio are old.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bc Tkachuk is producing better than Boeser rn plus has the extra grit

Yup and the Nucks let Chucky slipped through their fingers for whatever his name again so he is never any good lol

Last edited:

kman35ca

Oct 21, 2014
I'd say It's pretty close in the long run. I think EP => Gadreau long term. Monohan => Horvat, Tkachuk > Boeser.
I think EP's shot is what takes him higher than JG. Monahan is a pure scorer, and is a clutch scorer. (5th all time in GWG, 1 behind Joey Mullen)These guys win you games straight up. Horvat is good, but Monohan has that knack for scoring when the game is on the line, or scoring in general. And it's not just with JG, he scored 20+ his rookie season and has shown he can play on other lines and still score. Then Tkatchuk is an all round player. He can score with a tip in, (one of the best in the league). One timer, wrist shot. He protects the puck extremely well down low, and is an extremely good passer. Plus he can drive the opposition nutz and play a good physical game. Then there is also Lindholm, who could be put into this as well. He's got a hell of a release, better offensively than Horhat, and plays the 200ft no problem. PK,PP etc.

OrrwastheBeatles

Oct 11, 2011
”Some pretty homerish Canucks takes in here”... Proceeds to say Lindholm is as good as Monahan and Tkachuk and should be compared to Horvat. Cringe.

I’d take Flames trio now. Canucks trio in the future.
Well, since you cringed, I see your point.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Yup and the Nucks let Chucky slipped through their fingers for whatever his name again so he is never any good lol

every canuck fan hated the pick at the time and all recognize that Tkachuk is far better than Juolevi

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Right now flames but gong forward Canucks. EP is going to be a lot more valuable than JG because of position and 2 way abailty. Not to mention he’s 6 years younger

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
This poll wouldn't even be close if the Canucks have defense. These 3 players are basically single handedly carrying our team, can't say the same for the Flames with actual depth.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I'm taking the group with the two centres in it over the one with two wingers.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Really hard to say right now. The 3 aces for both respective teams are amazing. Flames have an obvious edge on defence though.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Poll is about comparing 3 players to 3 players...proceeds to say it's not close due to all these other players...

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Poll is about comparing 3 players to 3 players...proceeds to say it's not close due to all these other players...
The guys citing the stats of the 3 players omitted any reference to puck moving defencemen. The Flames obviously have better defencemen, and the Canucks' 2 best puck moving defencemen were out for extended periods of time.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Horvat is 23 while Monahan is 23
Boeser is 21 while Tkachuk is 20

Both Calgary players have had better starts to their careers and are tracking well.

Monahan can be caught by Horvat more easily than Boeser catching Tkachuk.

Actually Horvat is 23, Monahan is 24. Boeser is 21 and Tkachuk is also 21.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Actually Horvat is 23, Monahan is 24. Boeser is 21 and Tkachuk is also 21.

Thanks, I was using their ages from hockey reference or hockey db can't remember but Tkachuk and Monahan are both ahead of the 2 Canucks so far in their careers and tracking very well.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Thanks, I was using their ages from hockey reference or hockey db can't remember but Tkachuk and Monahan are both ahead of the 2 Canucks so far in their careers and tracking very well.

Monahan is ahead of Horvat as of now but its close.

I wouldnt say Tkachuk is ahead of Boeser either. Boeser was much better last year and he started out slow with injury issues. He had serious back surgery and later on missed another 12 games. Not like Boeser is struggling, hes on pace for 40 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad