Rumor: Garrioch - Anaheim Ducks to be extremely active this deadline

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Trading one of these 1st would just decrease their chances at getting Lafrenière, so a 2nd rounder doesn't change the fact that this isn't appealing for Ottawa. And even at the draft, I can't see them paying that much for a #1 goalie.

This 100% if Ottawa ships off San Jose first all they are doing is increasing Anaheim’s odds for getting Lafrenier. And if Rangers want to do business for Lindholm with their pick. That increases dramatically as well. But it’s all moot because Anaheim isn’t shipping off Gibson .

Ottawa should stay put and be sellers like we are. Everyone is going to fight for picks and prospects this deadline. And it’s going to come down who has the best assets that will be available and strike first on the firsts deals. And I’m really hoping it’s the Ducks.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Trading one of these 1st would just decrease their chances at getting Lafrenière, so a 2nd rounder doesn't change the fact that this isn't appealing for Ottawa. And even at the draft, I can't see them paying that much for a #1 goalie.

Technically if the deal was Anaheim gets the lower pick after the lottery, it would not decrease Ottawa's chance at getting Lafreniere. But even giving up a 4-7 overall pick for example can't be super appealing to Ottawa at this point in their rebuild.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Regardless of what you or I think about how good Byram will be, he is a 3rd overall pick from 6 months ago and could fetch significant better value in a trade than a goalie upgrade of this sort. When was the last time a pretty decent goalie + a super high recent pick was traded for a goalie upgrade? It's not like Colorado is treading water due to poor goaltending. They have 2 very capable goalies. Why throw away a top pick for a potential upgrade?
Didn't say the avs should do it either.
Problem with saying when is the last time a very good goalie got traded for such a haul is : when is the last time a very good young and proven #1 lock up for long was traded? Well, I don't know, cause team don't trade them.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Manson to the Jets for 2021 1st rounder, Logan Stanley, 2020 5th rounder and Perreault.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Ducks fans slowly getting enraged by all the dumpster proposals.

My favourite so far:
Gibson and Sprong for a late first.

You can't make that up without the thought of enraging someone.

Reactions: Getz2noone

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Garrioch is decent with Sens news, but is useless outside of the org. I think this is more speculation on his behalf, and not so much a rumor.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Buffalo's 1st (top 3 protected)
Cozens
Mittelstadt
Okposo

Then I would do it.

I don't get how this works for ANA. The first offsets taking Okposo and that horrific contract (6M with NTC until 2023). Other than that
Rakell > Cozens
Kase > Middelstadt

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
For the Leafs, sure. But what do the Leafs have that Anaheim would want (realistically). Nylander is probably too much, and Kap is too little.

I can't answer that question I'm not the GM but I do know this, the Leafs are a very very deep, very very asset rich team.

IF Manson is available the Leafs can get it done

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I can't answer that question I'm not the GM but I do know this, the Leafs are a very very deep, very very asset rich team.

IF Manson is available the Leafs can get it done

Except when it comes to RD, which is where the Ducks are weakest and what they would probably be looking to replace in a Manson trade. They are absolutely not in a position to letting another RD go without a long term replacement coming in.

And no, Ceci will not fill that role. No matter how much dumb shit BM does, even he would realize that having Ceci Gudbranson and Holzer as our entire RD corps would be a disaster

d0rkwing

Jan 2, 2020
Except when it comes to RD, which is where the Ducks are weakest and what they would probably be looking to replace in a Manson trade. They are absolutely not in a position to letting another RD go without a long term replacement coming in.

And no, Ceci will not fill that role. No matter how much dumb **** BM does, even he would realize that having Ceci Gudbranson and Holzer as our entire RD corps would be a disaster
IF Murray trades Manson it’s not because he wants to improve the team this season. It’s because he’s going hard after the rebuild and doesn’t see Anaheim competing anytime during the duration of Manson’s contract. Who cares if the RD depth is Gudbranson, Ceci & Holzer? They’re not trying to make the playoffs at that point, and they only stand to improve their lottery chances with that defense.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
IF Murray trades Manson it’s not because he wants to improve the team this season. It’s because he’s going hard after the rebuild and doesn’t see Anaheim competing anytime during the duration of Manson’s contract. Who cares if the RD depth is Gudbranson, Ceci & Holzer? They’re not trying to make the playoffs at that point, and they only stand to improve their lottery chances with that defense.

It doesn't need to be better this year, which is why most of us were ok with the return of a good RD prospect. What is does need to be is good going forward.

Losing Manson means we have absolutely nothing in the pipeline after this year except 1 more year of Gudbranson. Honestly, what good does having 15 middle 6 wingers do when you have literally zero NHL quality RD? I mean how can you rebuild with that?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The Ducks still have talent on their team despite their record. I wonder if Getzlaf would get moved if the Ducks decide to be active at the deadline.

d0rkwing

Jan 2, 2020
It doesn't need to be better this year, which is why most of us were ok with the return of a good RD prospect. What is does need to be is good going forward.

Losing Manson means we have absolutely nothing in the pipeline after this year except 1 more year of Gudbranson. Honestly, what good does having 15 middle 6 wingers do when you have literally zero NHL quality RD? I mean how can you rebuild with that?
It’s almost as if you’re saying they can’t acquire younger, quality RD by other means... the TOR-ANA proposals that have Liljegren coming back to the Ducks would be one such way. Another would be trading some of their glut of wing/center prospects for RD. Kaše almost went to Carolina for Faulk. The thing about rebuilds is they often involve a lot of trades & drafting, so I wouldn’t look at the single action of moving Manson as the single bullet they have to hit the rebuild target. The only point I was trying to make with my post was that if the organization decides to trade Manson, it’s not because they’re looking to improve the team for the immediate future (and yes, that includes next year). Rebuilds take time, and if you have the opportunity to accelerate the accumulation of assets (picks, prospects) by trading away players who will be beyond their prime years when you anticipate a return to contention, you do it.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Would core pieces like Lindholm, Manson and Rakell really be available? I have a hard time believing that they would be for only picks, those are the guys a rebuilding team builds around, not purges for more picks.

That said, what forward or package of forwards could Edmonton get for James Neal and a 1st? We like Neal, but need his salary space for scoring depth.

Reactions: d0rkwing

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
None of their most attractive pieces are on expiring contracts though, and most are signed for a considerable length of time. Doesn't seem like it's set up well for them to have a fire sale.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The Leafs and Ducks have historically always made great trading partners and I really do think this Manson deal is another episode.

But as it's been referenced earlier in this thread, it's tough to get a fair deal out there without getting outbid by another team.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Would core pieces like Lindholm, Manson and Rakell really be available? I have a hard time believing that they would be for only picks, those are the guys a rebuilding team builds around, not purges for more picks.

That said, what forward or package of forwards could Edmonton get for James Neal and a 1st? We like Neal, but need his salary space for scoring depth.

I can't imagine that gets you much. 32 year old James Neal at almost 6M until 2023 isn't really a desirable asset

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad