Garbage Bag Day | Player Exit Interviews

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That's true, but at the cost we may have to give up to get him, plus the 9M in cap, I think we'd be better off making smaller deals for two slightly lower caliber, but still good defensemen. Regardless, based off of Chia's comments, it sounds like we may be able to expect a big move or two this offseason.

I dunno man, I think I would overpay to get Subban.

McDavid-Subban-Laine PP. That would be scary. Plus to have a puck moving D you send over the boards every time 97 is on the ice makes me smile.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Regarding improvement this season, Chiarelli called the team a "taller midget" in comparison to last season's team. Lol.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Seen some strange comments here about Eberle acting like he was not part of the problem in his post season interview and thought I better take a look. Completely false. Eberle called out all the vets being the most important players that need to play two way hockey better including himself directly.

I thought this was Eberles worst season to date but think his attitude and accountability in the post season interview was impressive.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That was the biggest point that he made out of the whole PC. I think that it may well mean that Hamonic is in the bag because he has a very good working relationship with Snow.

Keeping in mind the GM that said this signed Sekera in the offseason to one of the highest contracts on the team. That sure worked out well..:sarcasm:

Really Chia wasn't saying much of anything in terms of actual concrete information. He's keeping things close to his vest as he should. Doesn't need other managers leveraging his own comments against him.
Chia was pretty careful not to nail anything down, excuse pun, or denote anybody as automatic or must trade.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Yah, that comment about the D man sounds like its already done. I think he has something lined up for sure.

There's gotta be something to this Vatanen thing. Stauffer isnt even trying to be cryptic about it anymore, he's basically taking about it like it's already happened.

I was listening to the end of the game, and the first thing he said when the game was over is that the Oilers are going to make some changes in the offseason. I knew it was coming, and sure enough it followed with a "........Sami Vatanen. Now there's a guy that would fit in perfectly blah blah blah"
He talks about Vatanen like every day now.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
There's gotta be something to this Vatanen thing. Stauffer isnt even trying to be cryptic about it anymore, he's basically taking about it like it's already happened.

I was listening to the end of the game, and the first thing he said when the game was over is that the Oilers are going to make some changes in the offseason. I knew it was coming, and sure enough it followed with a "........Sami Vatanen. Now there's a guy that would fit in perfectly blah blah blah"
He talks about Vatanen like every day now.

If something is ready to go, they need to tell Stauffer to shut up. He could seriously damage negotiations if he keeps opening his mouth.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I just watched the presser and 2 things that stuck out for me regarding Chia's comments about type of players he likes and the Yakupov situation:

-It almost sounds like he's already got one of the core lined up to be jettisoned for a D man. Perhaps the Eberle for Hamonic rumor does have legs. Chia doesn't sound like he is fond for players that don't play hard/committed. I have a hunch both Eberle and Nuge are gone by Training camp. Eberle is the epitome of playing a small mans game; Nuge, I get the impression Chia likes him but there's way too many issues with him physically to be effective in the Pacific

-Yakupov situation sounds like it was just Larionov being a *****. Yakupov just followed through with it. That's what I kind of got from Chia.

Its interesting that Chia made a point of downplaying the Yak statements and indicating his thought process that there is still a young talented player there to work with. Stated as well that at trade deadline the offering chips were not commensurate. This either means teams were offering rusty used barbecues or Chia is expecting reasonable value for Yak, a recent first pick who is signed for a reasonable contract. Chia also mentioned Yak had been working hard. So some acknowledgements there and sounds astute to me to at least not tip his hat.

Yak needs to still work on saying less in his interviews but not really a Russian way. He's candid even when trying not to be..

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Keeping in mind the GM that said this signed Sekera in the offseason to one of the highest contracts on the team. That sure worked out well..:sarcasm:

Really Chia wasn't saying much of anything in terms of actual concrete information. He's keeping things close to his vest as he should. Doesn't need other managers leveraging his own comments against him.
Chia was pretty careful not to nail anything down, excuse pun, or denote anybody as automatic or must trade.

And Sekera played like a 5.5m defenseman, a #3, so I don't know what you're getting at.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I thought he was just a crawling torso by now, that's what Jadeddog would have us believe.

Of course it's a concern but it seems like the worst is behind him and they were just being cautious in keeping him out. I didn't see the Rexall ceremony (since out of market fans don't count apparently) but I heard that he was walking just fine so that's gotta be good news I would think.

My take on what Chia stated on Klef is he wants Klef to just shut it down for a bit and stay off the skates. Nothing furthers continued infection more in inflamed legs ankles than skates which are generally not the most comfortable thing even to those with no inflamed infections. My thinking is Klef, even with moderate skating has continued to cause friction on the inflamed parts which causes more irritation, skin, tissue problems and possibilities of further infection. Not to mention this being spread to any skates he wears.

Chia acknowledged he's just a kid that wants to get better soon but was direct with Klef to just stop for awhile. I think Klef got back on skates before he should. He's not allowing enough time for the very serious staph infection to entirely calm down.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
And Sekera played like a 5.5m defenseman, a #3, so I don't know what you're getting at.

Sekera came as advertised. A decent 3D.

If the Oilers add Vatanen then they are looking for another top four guy, hopefully a top pairing guy to add.

Those two pieces on the back end and this team might be competitive. All depends what they have to give up for it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

You want a list?

Routine braincramps turning puck over and making ill advised passes plays.

Less offensive acumen and production than what was hoped for.

Virtually negligible signs of this being a PMD

Player has trouble around own Net in much more physical WC and hast trouble moving bodies out.

Has to be one of the worst D on the team for shooting a puck directly into a shot block. I mean just awful at it.

GA higher than would like it to be.

Not a stabilizing influence back there and not playing big minutes. Guys like Nurse, Gryba, now Pardy Oesterle, etc have all played more minutes than they should and the top paid D hasn't really filled out the roster much even with the injury absences.

Realistically as well if you look at the Oilers lineup and the payscale of the D Sekera was paid here as a top pairing D. Which two D do you think were supposed to be slotting higher than Sekera?

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
You want a list?

Routine braincramps turning puck over and making ill advised passes plays.

Less offensive acumen and production than what was hoped for.

Virtually negligible signs of this being a PMD

Player has trouble around own Net in much more physical WC and hast trouble moving bodies out.

Has to be one of the worst D on the team for shooting a puck directly into a shot block. I mean just awful at it.

GA higher than would like it to be.

Not a stabilizing influence back there and not playing big minutes. Guys like Nurse, Gryba, now Pardy Oesterle, etc have all played more minutes than they should and the top paid D hasn't really filled out the roster much even with the injury absences.

Realistically as well if you look at the Oilers lineup and the payscale of the D Sekera was paid here as a top pairing D. Which two D do you think were supposed to be slotting higher than Sekera?

So it's Sekera's fault he is the best D here? When everyone knew he was a #3, except you apparently.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
Eberle is the biggest idiot on the team.

"Yea, I was ok, but nah, not interested in improving my game or getting more experience against tough competition at the WC. Going to kick back in Saskatchewan, crank the Brad Paisley, chug some Bud Lites, you know, take it easy, and hopefully everybody else works hard so they're as good as I am by the time October rolls around."

I hope he's ****ing gone by September.

His pressers are the worst, he shows no emotion about anything, always the same cut and dry responses. He really seems content with himself a lot of the time which kind of bugs me. Overall he gives up more goals then he produces and I wish him the best when he gets traded. Don't really care that he's not going to the worlds this year.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Its interesting that Chia made a point of downplaying the Yak statements and indicating his thought process that there is still a young talented player there to work with. Stated as well that at trade deadline the offering chips were not commensurate. This either means teams were offering rusty used barbecues or Chia is expecting reasonable value for Yak, a recent first pick who is signed for a reasonable contract. Chia also mentioned Yak had been working hard. So some acknowledgements there and sounds astute to me to at least not tip his hat.

Yak needs to still work on saying less in his interviews but not really a Russian way. He's candid even when trying not to be..

My interpretation was that Larionov instigated the whole thing so Chia went out to see what's there. Nothing interested him so he kept Yak.

Yak was just following Larionov advice.

I get the feeling Chia isn't against keeping Yak but if the latter is adamant on leaving or he gets the return he wants, he might go and trade him

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
Always love these player exit interviews. The pseudo psychology comes out and conclusions are drawn about a persons character based on a 3-5 minute interview. Every year without fail. Good stuff.

I never base my opinions on just 3-5 min interviews, I think you have to look at the overall picture throughout the year. Which most people here do.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

Here's the stats comparison he listed in the article.

Compared to 2014-15, Edmonton had more points (70, compared to 62 last season). The Oilers had more wins prior to the shootout (27-19); improved its goal differential (minus-85 to minus-42); improved both goals against and goals for, both special teams, and finished 17 points shy of the last playoff team this season, compared to 35 points in 2014-15.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So it's Sekera's fault he is the best D here? When everyone knew he was a #3, except you apparently.

Um, Chia built an NHL team with Sekera as the highest paid and most veteran D slotting into the lineup. Where do you think he was going to play. Where do you think Chia and McLellan thought he was going to play?

We're there 1D, 2D ghosts hear that I somehow missed...

I'm not convinced either that all of Sekeras problems this year were due to where he was in the lineup. A lot of it was also due to the much more physical WC forecheck no matter who in topsix you are facing. This ain't the no hit EC here. This is bigger stronger forwards coming at you in waves. Even if he's playing #3D.

Accordingly Sekera sure showed hearing footsteps on ample occasion. He did settle in somewhat. definitiely first half of year was worse.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sekera is a sold 3D that was played like a 1D because this team has ZERO top pairing defensemen.

I mean, we've seen players played above their actual abilities before, why are we complaining about Sekera?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Here's the stats comparison he listed in the article.

Compared to 2014-15, Edmonton had more points (70, compared to 62 last season). The Oilers had more wins prior to the shootout (27-19); improved its goal differential (minus-85 to minus-42); improved both goals against and goals for, both special teams, and finished 17 points shy of the last playoff team this season, compared to 35 points in 2014-15.

The presense of McDavid alone in the lineup should've resulted in a greater increase in pts than what actually occurred. Especially if looking at the games where the results were obviously due to McDavid, who is a clear gamebreaker.

Really if Chia is being candid here the team did far worse than expected. I believe he mentioned thinking 80pts was plausible.

I tend to agree. With much better goaltending and McDavid, Drai coming into his own, Nurse being in the show, the team ought to have done better than it had.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The presense of McDavid alone in the lineup should've resulted in a greater increase in pts than what actually occurred. Especially if looking at the games where the results were obviously due to McDavid, who is a clear gamebreaker.

Really if Chia is being candid here the team did far worse than expected. I believe he mentioned thinking 80pts was plausible.

I tend to agree. With much better goaltending and McDavid, Drai coming into his own, Nurse being in the show, the team ought to have done better than it had.

Oilers lost a lot of one-goal games this year. If the other forwards up their game we're probably looking at an 80 point season and something we could all be satisfied with.

But alas, it's the Oilers. To get their entire forward corps on the same page and working at the same time would take some act of God.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Sekera is a sold 3D that was played like a 1D because this team has ZERO top pairing defensemen.

I mean, we've seen players played above their actual abilities before, why are we complaining about Sekera?

I think that's Semantics.

Look at it this way;

A pro team in dire need of improvement on D hires Sekera to its highest priced D contract as a vet player that is obviously the biggest D signing the team did in the off season and of a player that was obviously going to be slotted in top pairing. That was going to be the use of Sekera this year. I'm sure he knew it, I'm sure everybody knew it. Not like it happened through surprise, injury, trade, or attrition, Sekera was supposed to be a top D this season on a club badly in need of one.

The reality is Sekera this season was going to have to punch above weight, knew it, and didn't do particularly well at it.

Are we really paying this guy 5.5M for being a non physical D with no particular offensive production, who is suspect in own zone and doesn't do anything particularly well. I would argue that value hasn't been obtained thus far in this contract.

What have Sekeras strengths been. 82 games, still looking for it.

TBH GRyba slotted in here more seamlessly than Sekera and McLellan recognized it with toi and situational shift use.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

I wonder if 37 more games of McDavid would've translated into the 10-12 points Chia felt they were short? Although this group should've been able secure those points without him anyway. Definitely under achieved and Chia knows it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad